University of Maryland at Baltimore. School of Medicine
- Corporate body
University of Maryland at Baltimore. School of Medicine
Albert E. Gunn, MD held positions at M.D. Anderson and the UT McGovern Medical School where he was Associate Dean for Admissions for many years. In addition to his medical degree, he has a law degree. At Anderson he ran the rehabilitation center which was the old Southern Pacific Railroad hospital that M. D. Anderson purchased. His portrait hung in the TMC Library for a time due to his past service on the National Library Board. His area of specialty of medicine was rehabilitation medicine. He was both a physician (trained in Ireland) and a lawyer and served in the U.S. Air Force in Spain (among other places) for a number of years.
United States. Army. Women's Army Corps
John Laws Decker was born in Brooklyn, New York on June 27, 1921. Dr. Decker received his medical degree at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University on June 1951. He held various teaching appointments including: Instructor of Medicine, Columbia University (1954-1955); Tutor in Medical Sciences, Harvard University (1957-1958); Instructor of Medicine, University of Washington (1958-1959); Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Washington (1959-1962); and Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Washington (1962-1965). In 1965 he became the chief of rheumatology at the National Institutes of Health and served for eighteen years. Between the years 1983-1990 Dr. Decker was the director of the Warren G. Magnuson Clinical Center at the National Institute of Health. Dr. Decker has conducted research and authored publications in the fields of rheumatism, genetic rheumatism, arthritis, hypertension, ulcers, osteoporosis, and was an authority systemic lupus erythematosus. [Sources: John L. Decker, M.D. Papers. Curriculum Vitae. McGovern Historical Center: Houston, TX. Shelf 10.04 Box 25A Folder: Personal C.V. And Bibliography 5-25-1989 John Decker #88. The Washington Post. Obituaries John L. Decker. July 28, 2000. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2000/07/18/obituaries/21eb222c-2751-476e-99b0-6e7e17b8fb7b/?utm_term=.53afe87e4d3e]
Donald Joseph Fernbach was born April 10, 1925 in Brooklyn, New York. He served in the European Theater and earned a Bronze Star during World War II. He earned his Bachelor’s from Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tennessee, in 1948 and his MD from George Washington University School of Medicine in 1952, and came to Houston to study pediatrics as one of Baylor College of Medicine’s first residents. He also completed a residency at Children’s Medical Center and Harvard University School of Medicine in Boston, followed by a fellowship in hematology and oncology. He returned to Houston in 1957 to join the faculty at Baylor and helped found the Research Hematology-Oncology Service (now the Children’s Cancer Center) at Texas Children’s Hospital in 1958.
Dr. Fernbach coauthored the first textbook on clinical pediatric oncology, led the effort to screen for sickle cell disease in newborns, and was the first to transplant bone marrow between identical twins to treat aplastic anemia. He was the director of the Blood Transfusion Services at Texas Children’s from 1957 to 1971. He was one of the founders of Houston’s Ronald McDonald House and led the movement to ban smoking in the Texas Medical Center.
Dr. Fernbach died September 22, 2013, in Houston and is buried at the Houston National Cemetery.
Lysle Henry Peterson was born January 21, 1919, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and died November 11, 1994 in Houston and is buried at St. John the Divine Episcopal Cemetery. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 1950 and either taught or did research at the University of Pennsylvania in the 1960s.
SAM A. NIXON, M.D., 76, of Nixon died August 17, 2003 in a Victoria hospital. Dr. Nixon was born in Galveston on June 28, 1927, the son of the late Sam A. Nixon, Sr., and Margaret Sandel Nixon. Sam received his Bachelor of Science degree from Texas A & M (1946) (Class of 1947) and his medical degree from The University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston (1950), receiving the Ashbel Smith Distinguished Alumni Award from UTMB in 1982. After completing a rotating internship at Fordham Hospital, New York City, he served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps from December 9, 1950 to June 30, 1954, as 11th Field Artillery Battalion Surgeon in Korea and 24th Division Artillery Surgeon in Japan and Korea. He spent twenty-three years as a family physician in rural south Texas (Nixon and Floresville) before moving to Houston at the behest of Truman Blocker, M.D., in 1977 to join The University of Texas Medical School at Houston as Professor in the Department of Family Practice and Community Medicine. A Diplomate of the American Board of Family Practice, he was Director of the Division of Continuing Education and Special Assistant to the President for Community and Professional Relations of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (1977-1992) and Assistant Dean for Continuing Education at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston (1985-1992). After retiring from UTHSCH, he was Associate Medical Director, South Texas Region, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas, Inc. (September 1992 - July 1994). He has been active in the Gonzales County Medical Society, the Harris County Medical Society, Texas Medical Association, and the American Medical Association, serving in the AMA House of Delegates for twenty-five years (1969-1994). He was past president of the Texas Academy of Family Physicians (1968) and the American Academy of Family Physicians (1980). He was Chair of the Texas State Rural Medical Education Board (1975-2002). Dr. Nixon was named in December 1985 as a member of the Board of Regents of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) and was Chair of the Board (1988-1992). On May 20, 1995, he was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Military Medicine by USUHS. He served as president of the Houston Academy of Medicine (1986) and the Harris County Medical Society (1989). Elected Vice-Speaker of the Texas Medical Association House of Delegates (May 1987), Speaker (May 1989) and President-Elect (May 1990), he was President of the TMA in 1991. The TMA, on May 6, 1999, presented Dr. Nixon with its highest honor, the Distinguished Service Award. Texas A & M University and its Association of Former Students honored Dr. Nixon with the Distinguished Alumnus Award on May 1, 1990. In July of 2002, the Texas Academy of Family Physicians presented him the the first Lifetime Achievement Award for service to the specialty of family medicine. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Hughes Nixon, of Nixon; four daughters, Alice Nixon of Bayside, Betsy Carrell and husband Mike of Corpus Christi, Jano Nixon of Houston, Dorothy Robinson and husband Rob of San Leon; two sisters, Margaret Arenas of Houston, Judith Greentree of New York, NY.; six grandchildren, Mark Carrell and Mason Carrell of Corpus Christi, Kleberg Nixon of Houston, Caroline Robinson, Kate Robinson, and Emilie Robinson of San Leon; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Bernard M. Barrett, Jr., is a plastic surgeon. He was born May 3, 1944 and graduated from the University of Miami in 1969. He is currently in practice in Houston. His father Bernard M. Barrett, Sr., (February 4, 1917 – September 19, 2001) was an otolaryngologist in Florida.
George John Ehni, MD was a neurosurgeon who practiced in Houston from 1949-1986. During 1959-1979 he was chairman of the division of neurosurgery at Baylor College of Medicine. Born in 1914 in Pekin, Ill, Dr. Ehni was a 1939 graduate of Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago. He served an internship at Cincinnati (Ohio) General Hospital (July 1939-1940) and a residency at the Mayo Foundation in Rochester, Minn (July 1940-1944). During World War II, Dr. Ehni served in the US Navy. In 1946 he moved to Temple and established the department of neurosurgery at Scott and White Clinic. He moved to Houston in 1949. Dr. Ehni was a past president of the Neurosurgical Society of America, the Southern Neurosurgical Society, and the International Society for Study of the Lumbar Spine. He died September 2, 1986 at the age of 72.
[Source: Obituary, Texas Medicine, January 1987, p.82]
Methodist Hospital (Houston, Tex.)
Methodist Hospital was established near downtown Houston in 1924. It is currently located on Fannin Street in the Medical Center and serves as the teaching hospital for Baylor College of Medicine.
Humble Oil and Refining Company (Incorporated in Tex.)
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston is a public health science educational institution. It was created in 1972 by the University of Texas and comprises the UTHealth School of Dentistry (1905), UTHealth School of Biomedical Informatics (1972), the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (1963, renamed 2017), the John P. and Kathrine G. McGovern School of Medicine (1969, renamed 2015), UTHealth School of Public Health (1969), and the Jane and Robert Cizik School of Nursing (1972, renamed 2017). Its teaching hospitals include Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, and Harris Health Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital. It also encompasses a long list of smaller centers and institutions that perform work specialized to different illnesses, disciplines, and areas of interest.
Dr. Ohlhausen was born in Galveston on October 13, 1912 and died in Houston on December 20, 1995; he is buried at Forest Park Westheimer Cemetery. He graduated from the University of Texas in 1933 and from UTMB in 1938. Registered for the draft 16 October 1940; enlisted 1 January 1942. He is Gazetteer record 11175.
Nuclear Support Services, Inc. Training Resources Division
Company is been inactive since 1994.
William S. Halsted was an American surgeon, 1852-1922. Halsted was born on September 23, 1852 in New York City. He graduated you from Yale in the 1874 and then entered medical school at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York. He graduated after three years in 1877 in with an M.D. Halsted had a distinguished career including the first chief of surgery at John Hopkins where he trained such notables as Harvey Cushing.1
Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (Houston, Tex.)
The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research was opened by William Spencer, MD, as the Southwestern Poliomyelitis Respiratory Center in 1951 at the peak of the US polio epidemic. It officially became The Texas Institute for Rehabilitation and Research in 1959, then just The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research in 1978. After the development of a vaccine in the early 1960s, Dr. Spencer shifted the practice to the rehabilitation of the catastrophically injured. As it expanded, the Institute recruited doctors who would become major contributors in specific areas of concern, such as Gunyon Harrison (pediatric cystic fibrosis), Carlos Vallbona (physiology and cardiology), Paul Harrington (orthopedic surgeon and developer of Harrington rods); and Bobby Alford (ENT). TIRR is affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine and the McGovern Medical School, and joined Memorial Hermann in 2006.
Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (Houston, Tex.)
Thomas R. Cole was born in 1949 in New Haven, Connecticut. He graduated with his bachelor’s in Philosophy from Yale University in 1971, and he would finish his Master’s in History in 1975 at Wesleyan University. Dr. Cole obtained his PhD. in History from the University of Rochester in 1981.
Dr. Cole has held many faculty positions at various universities throughout his career. The bulk of his work and research was and is conducted between 1982-2019 at the University of Texas Medical Branch. He has worked in several departments: the Institute for Medical Humanities, School of Public Health, Department of Family Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, Institute for the Medical Humanities, and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. His research conducted here has been dedicated to the writing of several articles, books, and films on Aging and (Humanistic) Gerontology. Dr. Cole’s work is concerned with how society and the medical field view Aging and the ethical practice of medicine, especially within Geriatrics. He has published several books and articles on Aging that have been published in a variety of medical journals and international publications. Dr. Cole’s work also reflects the passion he has for autobiography and the telling of an individual’s ‘story.’ Cole has hosted several writing workshops and other programs to help people record their life’s memories. This passion has also led him to produce films such as The Strange Demise of Jim Crow and books such as No Color is My Kind: The Life of Eldrewey Stearns and the Desegregation of Houston. He has earned numerous awards and mentions for his extensive work.
As of 2020, Dr. Cole was the McGovern chair in the Medical Humanities Department as well as the Director of the McGovern Center for Humanities and Ethics at the University of Texas Health Science Center. He has served on several committees. Dr. Cole plans to publish Old Man Country: My Search for Meaning Among the Elders in the Fall of 2019; this book’s research materials are now found within his papers.
University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston
The Texas Dental College was established in Houston in 1905. It operated in the upstairs quarters on the north side of Franklin avenue between Main street and Fannin street. In 1925, the dental college built a modern teaching facility at Fannin street and Blodgett avenue. In 1929, the Texas Dental College was re-incorporated as a public trust under the direction of a board of trustees charged with the responsibility of providing quality training in the dental disciplines.
In 1932, Dr. Frederick C. Elliott from the University of Tennessee was brought on to serve as dean of the college. At this time in Houston the depression has cast an economic blight over the land. He was hoping for a freshman class of 30 to 40 but ended up with 11 students registered. Dr. Elliot became active in Chamber of Commerce committee work and, through service on the Educational Committee, pointed to the community’s needs for greatly expanded medical teaching and healing facilities. He developed a “total care” concept, calling for both public and private funds to provide facilities and services to meet the health and medical needs of all the citizens. Dr. Elliott quietly started discussions with Dr. Homer P. Rainey, the president of the University of Texas, and others in the University system, to lay the ground work for affiliation of the dental college with the university, with the dental college to remain in Houston as perhaps a unit in a medical teaching center which Dr. Elliott and Dr. E.W. Bertner sought for the community. On May 13, 1941, harry B. Jewett, chairman of the Chamber of commerce Educational Committee, on which Dr. Elliott then was serving, jumped the gun when he informed the Executive committee that the University of Texas would take over the dental college on September 1, 1941, and operate it as a unit of the University system. The official announcement did not come until August 29, 1942, contingent upon legislative approval and appropriation of state operating funds. The Legislature did approve, and on May 14, 1943, Governor Coke Stevenson signed the bill authorizing the affiliation.
The University took over the dental college as of September 1, 1943 leaving Dr. Elliott as the dean. Later, Dr. Elliott was named vice president of the University System. With the state cancer hospital already assured for Houston, and as further inducement for the University to take over the dental college, the Anderson trustees agreed to provide a site in the proposed medical center for the college and to donate $500,000 towards the cost of a building. In 1946 the Anderson trustees offered to provide an additional $1.5 million to the cancer hospital and the dental college. The two University institutions then approved for location in the medical center on a basis of $1 by the Foundation for each $2 provided by the State of Texas. The dental college trustees, all of whom had been active in seeking the affiliation were: Dr. Walter Henry Scherer, president; Dr. Joseph Phillip Arnold, vice president; Dr. Robert Henry Hooper, secretary; Dr. Paul Veal Ledbetter, Dr. Judson L. Taylor, and Dr. Elliot, ex officio secretary and dean of the college. Legislative approval of the affiliation of the dental college with the University, and appropriation of $109,000 for support of the college, remained to be accomplished in the regular session of the Texas Legislature, which convened early in 1943. Dr. Elliott met with the Chamber of Commerce Executive Committee on February 2,1943, to seek support in the legislature. Dr. Elliott reported to the committee on March 16, 1943, that the Senate and House committees had approved the legislation and complimented Representative Emmett Morse of Houston in handling the bill. A most important factor influencing favorable legislative action was the program embarked upon by the Texas Dental College to train dentist for the Army and Navy. Today the University Of Texas School Of Dentistry occupies handsome quarters in the Texas Medical Center, provided by funds from the State of Texas, the M.D. Anderson Foundation and the Houston Chamber of Commerce.
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. School of Allied Health Sciences
The UTHealth School of Biomedical Informatics began in 1973 as the University of Texas School of Allied Health Sciences. It provided certificate programs in technical arenas to post-bachelor’s students. Disciplines included biomedical communications (audiovisual production in the context of the health sciences); nutrition and dietetics; blood bank technology; histotechnology (preparation of tissue sample slides for examination by pathologists); medical technology to perform laboratory work; nurse anesthesia; perfusion; and cytotechnology (preparing and assisting in the examination of cell slides, as for Pap smears). In 1997 it was reformatted to focus on health informatics, the collection, processing, storage, analysis, interpretation, and retrieval of medical statistics and information.
St. Joseph Hospital (Houston, Tex.)
St. Joseph’s Infirmary was established in 1887 by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word and was originally housed in a frame building at the corner of Caroline and Franklin Streets. A year later, the hospital entered into an agreement with the Harris County Commissioners’ Court to care for Houston’s indigent patients. It became noted for the care it provided during the 1891 smallpox outbreak. A brick building designed by Nicholas J. Clayton was constructed in 1894 but burned soon after, killing two Sisters, when a fire started in a nearby warehouse. Donations by city residents funded a second new building at Crawford and Pierce; the site is now occupied by the Plastic Surgery Institute. A three-story brick building was completed in 1905 and by 1919, when the Bishop Byrne Annex opened (is this the one on the bus route?) the hospital had 350 beds and a wide range of medical and surgical capabilities. Like many hospitals at the time, it had its own nursing school. The maternity hospital was constructed in 1938 with donations from the George Strake family and still stands at (check address). A new hospital wing and convent building were added in 1940. The emergency department treated over 50 victims of 1947 Texas City Disaster. It was the largest hospital complex in the city until the establishment of the Texas Medical Center at the end of the 1940s. Before Texas Children’s Hospital opened in the TMC in 1954, St. Joseph’s pediatric department maintained an affiliation with Baylor College of Medicine. In 2012, a branch was opened on the site of the former Heights Hospital at 1917 Ashland.
Dr. Mavis Kelsey of the Kelsey-Seybold Clinic was on staff in the 1950s. In 1960s plastic surgeon Dr. Thomas Cronin and resident Frank Gerow, working with Dow Corning, developed silicone gel breast implants. The Bloxsom air lock device for resuscitating newborns was developed by pediatrician Allan Bloxsom in 1950, though it fell out of favor by the end of the decade. Herman Barnett, the first African-American graduate of the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston and the first African-American appointee to the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, finished his anesthesiology residency at St. Joseph’s in 1968 and then joined the medical staff.
Neel, James V. (James Van Gundia)
James V. Neel, born March 22, 1915 in Hamilton, Ohio, was one of world's premier geneticists. He has contributed to the field of human genetics as a scientist, physician, professor, consultant and administrator. He received his Ph.D. as well as M.D. from the University of Rochester in New York. He completed his residency at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York. Dr. Neel has been affiliated with the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor for nearly fifty years. Beginning in 1985, he served as the Lee R. Dice Distinguished University Professor Emeritus of Human Genetics and Professor Emeritus of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. He served on the committees of a number of national and international institutes, governmental agencies and organizations. He died on February 1 2000 in Ann Arbor.
Dr. Knobil was a leader and pioneer in many areas of endocrinology, including growth and reproduction. Kr. Knobil's classic contributions include the species-specific effects of Growth Hormone (GH), a model for positive and negative estrogen feedback control of the menstrual cycle, and elucidation of the hypothalamic Gonadotrpin-Releasing Hormone (GnRH) pulse generator. His discovery that pulsatile GnRH stimulates Luteinizing Hormone (LH) secretion, altered the field of reproductive endocrinology. This observation also unmasked a pivotal role for pulsatile secretion as a mechanism of hormonal control. Dr. Knobil died April 13, 2000.
The son of an Austrian parents, Dr. Knobil was born in Berlin, Germany on September 20, 1926. The Knobil family moved to Paris in the early 1930's. When the Germans invaded Paris in 1940, the family emigrated to New York City where he attended high school.
At the age of 15, he entered the New York State College of Agriculture at Cornell in 1942. He chose Animal Science as his major due to interests developed from time spent on farms in France during the summers, and from attending the Kinderhook Farm Camp after moving to the United States.
Upon graduating from Cornell in 1948 (including a 2 year interruption of service in the US Army), he entered graduate school in zoology where he worked in the laboratory of Professor Sanuel L. Leonard. After completing his PhD, Dr. Knobil accepted a post-doctoral position with Roy O. Greep at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine from 1951 to 1953. While a fellow, he assumed Greep's teaching duties in endocrinology and rapidly gained recognition as a gifted and scholarly teacher.
In 1953 he was appointed Instructor in the Physiology Department of the Harvard Medical School. In 1957, he was promoted to Assistant Professor after having been selected by Harvard Medical School for the prestigious Markle Scholar in Academic Medicine for the years 1956-1961.
From 1961-1981 he was the Richard Beatty Mellon Professor of Physiology, Chairman of the Department of Physiology and the Director of the Center for Research in Primate Reproduction at the University of Pittsburgh Medical School
Dr. Knobil accepted the Deanship of the University of Texas Medical School at Houston in 1981. From 1981 on he was the H. Wayne Hightower Professor in the Medical Sciences and Director of the Laboratory of the Laboratory for Neuroendocrinology at the University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center - Medical School. The Laboratory closed in 1997. More than 80 fellows and students studied in his laboratories in Boston, Pittsburgh and Houston. In 1989 he was named an Ashbel Smith Professor, the University of Texas Health Science Center.
Among the many awards, Dr. Knobil received were the highest ones awarded by the Society for the Study of Reproduction (Carl G. Hartman Award, 1983), The Endocrine Society (Fred Conrad Koch Award, 1982), and the American Physiological Society (Walter B. Cannon Memorial Lecture, 1997). He was elected to numerous positions of leadership including the Presidencies of The Endocrine Society (1976), the American Physiological Society (1979), and the International Society of Endocrinology (1984-1988). He was a member of many U.S. and foreign scientific societies' review boards, NIH study sections, and the editorial broads of numerous scientific journals.
Dr. Knobil was a member of the U.S. National Academy of Science (1986), the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a foreign associate of the French Academy of Science, the Italian National Academy of Science, and the Belgian Royal Academy of Medicine. He received several honorary degrees among them ones from the University of Bordeaux (1980), the Medical College of Wisconsin (1983), the University of Liege (1994), and the University of Milan (2000).
In addition to being the author of 217 scientific papears, he was the editor of several reference books in endocrinology and reproduction, including The Handbook of Physiology (1974), The Physiology of Reproduction (1988, 1994), and The Encyclopedia of Reproduction (1998).
Dr. Knobil died April 13, 2000 in Houston Texas. He was survived by his wife of 40 years, Dr. Julane Hotchkiss Knobil, three sons, one daughter and four grandchildren.
Adapted from the Endocrine Reviews 22(6): 721-723, 2001.
Texas Centennial (1936 : Dallas, Tex.)
MDA-TV (Television station : Houston, Tex.)
Shigematsu was an ABCC-RERF researcher.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute was started in 1953 by industrialist and aviator Howard Hughes and the scientists and physicians he consulted as advisors. The Institute funded its own laboratories and research through the Hughes Aircraft Company. After Hughes’ death in 1976, management of the Institute passed to a board of trustees. In 1985, the Aircraft Company was sold to supplement the endowment. Although it originally intended to be a research institution and not a funding source, by this time, HHMI typically employed scientists to conduct biomedical research through laboratories at host institutions, which now number more than 60 nationwide. Since 1987, HHMI has supported graduate students, select professors, and education institutions through its science education program. The Institute began in Miami, Florida but is now located in Chevy Chase, Maryland. Hughes was born in Humble, Texas, and died on a plane en route the Houston’s Methodist Hospital. He is buried in Glenwood Cemetery.
Irvin Alan Kraft was born in Huntington, West Virginia, on November 20, 1921. He attended from Johns Hopkins University but interrupted his education to join the army. He qualified for the Army Specialized Training Program and volunteered to become a doctor, which meant completing two years of pre-medical courses in nine months. His unit studied at NYU School of Medicine and he completed his residency in psychiatry at Kingsbridge VA Hospital in New York City. After a second tour of duty in the Air Force, he received a fellowship in child psychiatry at Tulane University in 1954. He moved to Houston in 1957 to initiate a child psychiatry program at Baylor College of Medicine. He later joined the UT School of Public Health as a clinical professor of mental health.
Kraft was instrumental in founding the Texas Institute of Child Psychiatry in 1963. He worked with Denton Cooley in 1968 as a psychiatric consultant to the heart transplant team. He died May 30, 2010, and is buried at Emanu El Memorial Park.
William J. Schull, PhD was an American scientist and geneticist famous for his research into the effects of ionizing radiation on the human body largely based on the atomic bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki after World War II. Dr. Schull began his scientific career in radiation research in 1949 when he joined the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC), established in Japan in 1946 by the United States National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council to study the effects of the bombings in accordance with a presidential directive from Harry S. Truman. From his first post as Head of the Department of Genetics at ABCC, Dr. Schull served many decades in the elite corps of scientists conducting research into the genetic impact of irradiation on human health. A professor emeritus of The Human Genetics Center, School of Public Health, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Texas, Dr. Schull served on most of the major governmental and non-governmental committees formed throughout the 20th century to quantify the effects of ionizing radiation. He helped form the genetics department at the University of Michigan where he served as a professor from 1956 to 1972. As his career progressed, Dr. Schull frequently served in executive positions, chairing many of the governmental committees he served on and becoming a director, 1986-1987 and 1990-1991, and in 1996-1997, vice chairman and chief of research of the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF), established in 1975 as the follow-on organization to the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission. Dr. Schull was inducted into the United States National Academy of Sciences in 2001. In affirmation of his long and honorable service to the Japanese people, Dr. Schull received the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Third Class from the Emperor of Japan in 1992.
William Jackson Schull was born on March 17, 1922 to Gertrude Edna (maiden name Davenport) (1900-1938) and Eugene Shull (1896-1975) in Louisiana, Missouri. While Shull is the last name inscribed on his birth certificate, his name was changed to Schull while he was in elementary school. Dr. Schull spent most of his boyhood in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and graduated from that city’s Lincoln High School in 1939. In 1946, Dr. Schull earned a Bachelor of Science in Zoology from Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In 1947, he earned a Master of Science in Zoology from the same university. He received a Doctor Of Philosophy in Genetics From Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio in 1949. Enlisting in December 1942, Dr. Schull served in the United States Army as a surgical technician with the 37th Infantry Division in the South Pacific until December 1945. In concert with his scientific work, Dr. Schull valued the preservation of the archival historic record and promoted the preservation of the history of the ABCC and RERF throughout his career. He died June 20, 2017, in Houston.
A detailed curriculum vitae is available for Dr. Schull in the control folder for his collection at the McGovern Historical Collection.
Hebbel Edward Hoff was born December 2, 1907, in Urbana, Illinois. His family moved to Washington state when he was a child and he was the valedictorian of the 1924 class of Bothell High School, Bothell, Washington. He studied medicine at the Universisty of Washington for four years before being awarded a Rhodes Scholarship to study at Oxford University in England. He completed his M.D. at Harvard University in 1936 and continued to do research in electrocardiology at Yale University. He won the Warren Scientific Treatise Prize in 1941 while working at Yale. He was chair of the McGill University (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) Physiology Department from 1943 to 1948, when he took a position with Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. He was dean of Baylor until his death on May 1, 1987.
The Texas Medical Center is a comprehensive medical community located south of downtown Houston. It comprises 54 institutions, including four medical and seven nursing schools, 21 hospitals, three level-I trauma centers , eight specialty institutions, and academic and research institutions for many other health-related disciplines. The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center is among the top-ranked cancer hospitals in the country. As of 2017, it is one of the largest medical centers in the world.
The Texas Medical Center was proposed by Horace Wilkins, Col. William Bates, and John H. Freeman, the trustees of the M.D. Anderson Foundation. Established by cotton magnate Monroe Dunaway Anderson in 1936, the Foundation supported a variety of small causes until Anderson’s death in 1939, at which point the trustees, with the encouragement of Ernst Bertner, M.D., and Frederick Elliott, D.D.S., decided the funds should be used to build a medical center on par with Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic. When, in 1941, the state legislature approved an act to create a cancer hospital, the Anderson Foundation trustees secured Houston as the location for the M.D. Anderson Cancer Hospital, which would become first component of the medical center. The Texas Medical Center would be located on a site adjacent to Hermann Hospital, which had opened south of downtown in 1925.
The Texas Medical Center was officially incorporated in 1946 and Bertner was appointed president, replaced at the Cancer Hospital by R. Lee Clark, M.D. The Cancer Hospital was quickly joined by the Dental College, by then affiliated with the University of Texas, and Baylor University College of Medicine, which moved from Waco. The Anderson Foundation made grants to Methodist Hospital, Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children, St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital, Texas Children’s Hospital, a new building for Hermann Hospital, and for a library.
The Texas Medical Center grew quickly and has provided a home for innovators such as heart surgeons Michael DeBakey and Denton Cooley; William Spencer and his work on rehabilitation of paralysis patients; trauma surgeon and medevac pioneer James “Red” Duke; and Nobel Prize-winning pharmacology researcher Ferid Murad.
[1-5] TMC History 1971
 Handbook of Texas Online, Ernst W. Bertner.
 Facts and Figures, About Houston, City of Houston, 2017 July 24, www.houstontx.gov/abouthouston/houstonfacts.html
 Texas Trauma Facilities, Texas Health and Human Services, Texas Department of Health and Human Services, 2017 July 24, https://www.dshs.texas.gov/emstraumasystems/etrahosp.shtm.
 “Texas Medical Center: Houston is where the world comes for treatment”, About Houston, Greater Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau, 2017 July 24, https://www.visithoustontexas.com/about-houston/texas-medical-center/
 Institutional profile, Facts and History, 2017 July 24, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, https://www.mdanderson.org/about-md-anderson/facts-history/institutional-profile.html.
 Handbook of Texas Online
 New York Times, 1994 May 05, online.
 Mary Schiflett obituary, Houston Chronicle online, January 19, 2007.
 Bryant Boutwell, Ph.D, Bout Time blog, 2014 January 31
 TMC History 1971, p178
 Handbook of Texas Online, University of Texas Dental Branch
 TMC News, 2014 August 19
Greater Houston Hospital Council
“An association of hospitals dedicated to helping member hospitals contain costs and provide high-quality healthcare to the citizens of the area” through efficiency studies, shared purchasing, and lobbying.
As of 2021, Sam H. Parris is a Professor Emeritus of the University of Texas Dental Branch.
John Baum was born June 2, 1927, in New York City and earned his Bachelor’s degree from New York University in 1949. He earned his MD from NYU College of Medicine in 1954, followed it with internships in New York and Baltimore, and finally with a research fellowship in rheumatism at London University in England. Baum was the director of the Arthritis Clinic at Parkland Hospital in Dallas, and also taught at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School between 1959 and 1968, when he returned to New York to the University of Rochester School of Medicine. In 1970 he became director of the Pediatric Arthritis Unit at Strong Memorial Hospital and stayed there until his retirement in 2008, except for a teaching stint at the University of Birmingham in England from 1987 to 1989. Dr. Baum died May 4, 2009, at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester.
Houston Independent School District (Tex.)
Founded in 1907 as the Graduate Nurses’ Association of the State of Texas, to seek state regulation of the education and practice of nurses. In 1909, they convinced the state legislature to pass what was effectively the first nursing practice act, creating the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas. In 1913, the Association created better standards for nursing schools: Eight-hour days for students, three-year courses of study in all nursing schools, uniform curricula, higher entrance requirements, and better preparation for supervisory and teaching responsibilities. The name was changed to the Texas Nurses’ Association around 1964. The TNA has also worked to create policies for the inspection and accreditation of nursing schools, provide whistleblower protection, create better opportunities for nursing students, right of due process in peer review, and to generally improve the conditions for nurses in the state of Texas.
Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children
The Shriners Hospital for Children (Houston) is one of 22 hospitals in the non-profit Shriners network and is affiliated with the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Baylor College of Medicine, the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, and Scott and White Hospital (based in Temple, Texas). The Houston branch had its origins in the Arabia Temple Crippled Children’s Clinic, which was located at Baptist Sanitarium between 1920 and 1932. The Clinic moved to Methodist Hospital in 1932, occupying its own “Blue Bird Cottage” from 1934 to 1949; the facility was named for its sponsors, Methodist’s Blue Bird Ladies Auxiliary. Between 1949 and 1952 it borrowed space in Hermann Hospital, before reopening in its own building in 1952. It was renamed Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children in 1966. The last building was completed in 1996. In January 2020, Shriners Houston announced that it would close in 2021 and consolidate with the Shriners burn hospital in Galveston.
Charles Fredrick (C. F.) Menninger, MD (also known as Dr. C. F. and CFM), began the Menninger Clinic in 1925. Although not initially a trained psychiatrist, he had an interest in psychiatry and is considered a pioneer in the then-emerging field. Two of his sons specialized in psychiatry at medical school and joined him in operating the clinic. Karl Augustus Menninger, who recently had graduated from medical school, joined him in the clinic late that same year. His son William Claire Menninger, Karl's younger brother, joined the clinic in 1927. Dr. Karl and Dr. Will, as the brothers were known, became leaders in the field. Dr. Karl managed the medical side of the clinic, while Dr. Will managed the finances and administration as the CEO. When Dr. Will died unexpectedly in 1966, Dr. Karl briefly took over as CEO before Dr. Will's son Roy Menninger, MD, known as Dr. Roy, was elected CEO. When Dr. Roy retired in 1993, his younger brother, William Walter (Walt) Menninger, known as Dr. Walt, succeeded him. John McKelvey succeeded Dr. Walt in 2001, and Dr. Walt was named chairman of The Menninger Foundation board of trustees. Menninger moved to Houston in 2003 after it formed an affiliation with The Methodist Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine.
University of Texas Speech and Hearing Institute
The University of Texas Speech and Hearing Institute was founded in 1951 as the Houston Speech and Hearing Clinic. It joined the UT system in 1971 and for a year was the Division of Communicative Disorders of the University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston. In October 1972 it was renamed the University of Texas Speech and Hearing Institute at Houston and became part of the UT Health Science Center at Houston. Struggling with reduced state funding, fewer resources for faculty and research, and diminished demand for educational programs, its services were taken over by the United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast and the Institute closed on October 31, 1992.
American College of Surgeons. Commission on Cancer
Truman Graves Blocker, MD, was born 1909 April 17 in West Point, Mississippi. He attended school in Sherman, Texas and graduated from Austin College in 1929. He earned an MD from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston in 1933, followed by an internship at the Graduate Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, and a year’s residency in surgery again in Galveston at John Sealy Hospital. He spent a short time as an instructor in surgery at the Columbia University-affiliated Presbyterian Hospital in New York City before returning to Galveston again in 1936 to take a position at UTMB as an assistant professor of surgery. He served as a surgeon first in the Air Force and then in the Army between 1942 and 1946, where he specialized in reconstructive plastic surgery. When he returned to UTMB in 1946 he became professor and head of the new department of plastic and maxillofacial surgery. Blocker’s wife, Dr. Virginia Blocker, was also a physician and, after the 1947 Texas City Disaster, they co-published a survey of the casualties. Blocker would eventually publish or co-publish 182 items, mostly on treatment and care of burn victims.
In addition to his research and teaching responsibilities, Blocker served in a diverse and complex variety of administrative positions, enabling him to influence the growth and expansion of UTMB. He was instrumental in convincing the Shriners to choose Galveston as the location for their burn hospital, and he retained an interest in military medicine for the rest of his life. UTMB commemorated him by renaming its Moody Medical Library for him after his death in 1984.
Seymour Jablon was born June 2, 1918, in New York, and died April 9, 2012. He completed a bachelor’s degree at the College of the City of New York in 1939. He earned a Master’s in mathematics and mathematical statistics from Columbia University in 1941. He enlisted in the Army in 1942 until 1946 when he became a statistician for the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Jablon taught mathematics briefly at Rutgers before taking a job with the National Research Council in Washington, D.C., in 1948. He joined the ABCC in 1955 and was Chief of the Department of Statistics at the ABCC from 1960 to 1963, and 1968 to 1971. He was the associate director at the Medical Follow-up Agency at the National Research Council from 1963 to 1968 and then again from 1971 to 1977.
The Woman’s Hospital of Texas was founded in 1976 and specializes in care focused on the needs of women.
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is named for Monroe Dunaway Anderson who, with his brother-in-law Will Clayton, operated what came to be the biggest cotton company in the world by the earliest years of the Twentieth Century. When he died in 1939, his MD Anderson Foundation received $19 million from his estate. In 1941 when the Texas Legislature set aside $500,000 for a cancer hospital and research center, the Anderson Foundation agreed to match funds if the institution were located in Houston, in the new Texas Medical Center, which was also an Anderson Fund project, and if it were named for their benefactor.
The M.D. Anderson Hospital for Cancer Research at the University of Texas opened in 1944 and operated out of surplus World War II army barracks; the converted mansion The Oaks, of the James A. Baker estate near Rice University; and 46 beds leased from a local hospital (which hospital?) before moving into the original building of its current location in 1954. TMC co-founder R. Lee Clark served as the first full-time director. The world’s first cobalt-60 radiotherapy unit, designed by UTMDA’s Dr. Gilbert H. Fletcher and Dr. Leonard Grimmett, began treating patients in the underground (for safety) clinic on February 22, 1954. The rest of the patients were transferred to the new building three weeks later and the hospital was formally dedicated on October 23. The name was changed to the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute in 1955. The hospital and its capabilities expanded rapidly over the next decades; it installed the first high-voltage Sagittaire linear accelerator for radiation therapy in 1970 and began the US’s first interferon trials in 1978. The name was changed to the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in 1988.
William "Bill" H. Ellett is a physicist. He graduated from Rensselear Polytechnic Institute with a B.S. in physics. He earned a masters of science in physics at New York University and a doctorate in radiation physics at Royal Postgraduate Medical School at the University of London. From 1984 to 1992, he served as a consultant for the Radiation Effects Research Foundation at Hiroshima. From 1985 to 1991, he was a a senior program officer on the Board on Radiation Effects Research, Commission on Life Sciences with the National Academy of Sciences.
Greater Houston Dental Society
The Greater Houston Dental Society, formerly the Houston District Dental Society, was founded in 1904 and serves as the Houston-area chapter of the Texas Dental Association and the American Dental Association. It seeks to provide public and professional health education.
Dr. Paul Harrington (September 27, 1911- November 29, 1980) was an orthopedic surgeon and former chief of surgical services at TIRR. He died Nov. 29, 1980.He was interested in polio and scoliosis. He developed a surgical procedure for the correction of curvature of the spine.
University of Tennessee, Memphis. College of Dentistry
Dr. Joseph Lewis Belsky was born March 14, 1927. He earned his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Drew University in New Jersey in 1949, followed by a master’s in chemistry fro Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, in 1951 and, finally, an M.D. in 1955 from Albany Medical College in Albany, New York. He became board certified in internal medicine in 1963. He worked for a short time in private practice but spent the majority of his career as an endocrinologist in hospitals in Boston and in Connecticut. He was also a lecturer at Yale University School of Medicine.
Dr. Belsky was Chief of Medicine for the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC), a committee formed to study the long-term effects of radiation exposure on the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan, from 1969-1972 (the organization is now known as the Radiation Effects Research Foundation or RERF).
In 1999, Dr. Belsky was awarded a Mastership by the American College of Physicians.
Robert Dale Lange was born in Redwood Falls, Minnesota on January 24, 1920. He attended high school at North St. Paul High School in St. Paul, Minnesota. After graduated in 1937 he went to the Macalester College, St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1941 he received his Bachelor of Science. From 1941 to 1944, he studied medicine at Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri. Robert D. Lange received the Jackson Johnson Scholarship all throughout medical school. He was the recipient of the Jackson Johnson Book Prize awarded to the graduating senior with the highest academic average at Washington University Medical School in 1944. Dr. Lange completed an internship in internal medicine at Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri, 1944-1945. Then Dr. Lange went on to serve as Assistant Resident in Medicine, University of Minnesota Hospital, Minneapolis, 1945-1946. He continued his postgraduate studies as a Fellow and Instructor in Medicine under Dr. C.V. Moore, Division of Hematology, Washington University School of Medicine, 1948-1951.
Dr. Lange served active duty in the United States Army as a Major at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Washington, D.C. He was involved in the active reserves and remains so, 1942-1956, 1956-present. He was promoted to Colonel in 1969, and presently attached to the 489 Civil Affairs Company, Knoxville, Tennessee. Dr. Lange served in the Department of Medicine of the ABCC from 1951-1953. In 1953, he and his family returned to the United States. He immediately joined the academic world. He taught at these medical schools the University of Minnesota, Washington University and the Medical College of Georgia. In 1964, Knoxville, Tennessee became home for the Lange family. There Dr. Lange began his long association with the University of Tennessee. His first appointment was Research Professor at the University of Tennessee Memorial Research Center in 1964. He was promoted to a full professor in 1970. Over the years Dr. Lange accepted a number of chairmanship and directorship appointments with the University's Memorial Research Center and Center for Health Sciences.
Dr. Lange has written extensively in the area of hematology. His bibliography includes: 71 abstracts, 25 book chapters, 156 journal articles. From 1974-1977, Dr. Lange served on the editorial board of Experimental Hematology. He has written reviews for the following premier journals in medicine and the field of hematology: American Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology: Archives of Internal Medicine: Biochemical Medicine; Blood, Journal of Hematology: Experimental Hematology: Journal of Clinical Investigation; Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine; New England Journal of Medicine.
Dr. Lange has been a very active faculty member at the University of Tennessee. He has trained thirteen post doctoral fellows and graduate students. Dr. Lange been successful in obtaining grants and other external support for research. Most recently he was awarded $942,513 from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration for a ten-year study - "Regulation of erythropoiesis in rats during space flight." Some of the funded organizations have been: National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, American Cancer Society, Atomic Energy Commission, Physicians Medical Education and Research Foundation, John A. Hartford Foundation, Biomedical Research Support, McDonnellDouglas Corporation, and National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
Dr. Lange has been an exchange visitor of the United States Academy of Science since 1968. He has delivered forty lectures to selected hospitals, medical schools, and research institutes throughout the United States and several foreign countries.
The Physicians Recognition Award from the American Medical Association was presented to Dr. Lange in 1969, 1972 and 1979. His honors included membership on Pi Phi Epsilon, Sigma X, Alpha Omega Alpha.
Dr. Lange has been very active as a physician, administrator and professor. He has medical licensure in the state of Tennessee and board certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine. He is a member or fellow in fifteen societies. They are: American Federation of Clinical Research (Emeritus), Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine, Central Society for Clinical Research, Southern Society for Clinical Investigation, American Society of Hematology (Emeritus), International Society of Hematology (Fellow) American College of Physicians (Fellow), Knoxville Society of Internal Medicine, American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Association of University Professors, Knoxville Academy of Medicine, Tennessee Medical Association, American Medical Association, International Society of Experimental Hematology, Society of Research Administrators. Dr. Lange has served on ten committees as a member and officer. These include: Chairman, Southern Blood Club, 1970; Chairman, Erythropoietin Workshop, American Society of Hematology Meeting, 1970, Chairman, National Heart and Lung Institute Erythropoietin Subcommittee of the American Society of Hematology, 1971. Now a member of this committee. A member of the Program Committee, Tennessee regional Meeting, American College of Physicians, 1971. Chairman, Oak Ridge Associated Universities/Oak Ridge National Laboratories Committee on Human Studies, 1975; A member of the UT Hospital's Executive Committee (ex-officio), Bylaws Committee, Graduate Committee, Planning Committee, and Professional Library Services Committee, 1977-; Chairman, Library Committee, Knoxville Academy of Medicine, 1978; Chairman, Human Participation Committee, Oak Ridge Associated Universities and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1978; Member, ad hoc Erythropoietin Committee, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, 1978-present.
Dr. Lange became Professor Emeritus in the Department of Medical Biology College of Medicine, University of Tennessee Medical Center in 1985. He is still on active staff at University Hospital, Knoxville, Tennessee. Mrs. Lange volunteers at a medical library and their son resides in Houston, Texas and daughter in Atlanta, Georgia. In November of 1995 Dr. Lange, Mrs. Lange and their daughter visited the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library. Dr. Lange died March 16, 1999.
Children's Nutrition Research Center
The Children’s Nutrition Research Center was created in 1978 as a joint venture among Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children’s Hospital, and the USDA Agricultural Research Service. It is one of six USDA nutritional research centers. The CNRC’s areas of study are nutritional metabolism in mothers, infants, and children; childhood obesity prevention; pediatric clinical nutrition; molecular, cellular, and regulatory aspects of nutrition during development; and developmental determinants of obesity in infants and children.
Texas. Legislature. Senate. Finance Committee
American Cancer Society. Texas Division
Cheves McCord Smythe was born in Charleston, South Carolina in 1924. He was born into a well-established South Carolina family. Smythe received his undergraduate degree from Yale College in 1943, and his medical degree in 1947 from Harvard Medical School. He completed his internship and residency at the Boston City Hospital. Next, he served as a Research Fellow at the Presbyterian Hospital in New York. Following this, he returned to the Boston City Hospital as a Chief Resident. From 1942-1966, Smythe served in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He was a part of the Medical Corps and became a Lieutenant Commander. He retired from the Naval Reserve in 1966. Beginning in 1955, Smythe started as an Instructor in Medicine at the Medical College of South Carolina. He eventually becoming an Assistant Professor of Medicine and finally Dean. He remained as Dean from 1963 until his departure in 1966. The following four years he served as Assistant Director and Director of the Department of Academic Affairs at the Association of American Medical Colleges. The bulk of his career was spent at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, where he became the first dean of the school in 1970. He would remain as dean until 1975. Smythe continued his profession at the university until 1995, serving as Professor, Adjunct Professor, and Dean Pro Tem. Smythe continued his career abroad when he became the Dean at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan. He served in this role from 1982 to 1985. His involvement with the school continued, and he returned as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Medicine from 1990 to 1991. Smythe had many hospital appointments including the Hermann Hospital, Memorial Southwest Hospital, and the LBJ Hospital. He was also a member of many medical organizations and received many honors and awards. In addition, he was the author of numerous publications. For a complete list of accomplishments please visit Smythe’s vitae and bibliography.
Dr. Smythe died May 11, 2020, in Charleston, South Carolina.
For all George Tames photographs license the suggested attribution will be:
"Photograph by George Tames. Courtesy of McGovern Historical Center, Texas Medical Center Library with permission of the George Tames Estate, IC 077 Medical World News Photograph Collection, [Item ID]"
A suggested shorter alternate attribution should be:
"Photograph by George Tames. Courtesy of Texas Medical Center Library with permission of the George Tames Estate, [Item ID]."
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. School of Nursing
The Jane and Robert Cizik School of Nursing at UTHealth opened in 1972 in the Nurses’ Residence at Hermann Hospital as the University of Texas School of Nursing. It was to be the clinical campus of the UT System’s school of nursing, which was based at UTMB in Galveston. It moved into the Hermann Professional Building Annex shortly after, then to the former Prudential Life Building at 1100 Holcombe in 1974. The Houston setting became an official campus of the UT System Schools of Nursing in 1973, alongside Galveston, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, and Fort Worth/Arlington. The first class graduated in 1974. Also in 1974 the School proposed a Master’s of Nursing degree (the first students would enroll in 1976) and specialized programs in gerontology, oncology, and psychiatric mental health nursing. In 1976, the School of Nursing joined the UT Health Science Center. The school continued to expand, adding specialized courses of study and Doctorate of Nursing degrees. It was renamed the Cizik School of Nursing in 2017.
Hermann Hospital (Houston, Tex.)
Hermann Hospital was a public hospital endowed by George Hermann (1843-1914) with a fortune accumulated through investments in oil and real estate. The hospital opened south of downtown Houston in the summer of 1925. It merged with Memorial Hospital in 1999 to create Memorial Hermann Health System. The original Spanish-style building is now part of Children's Memorial Hermann in the northwest corner of the Medical Center.
Fondren, Walter W. (Walter William), 1877-1939
Dr. Desmond was born in the Hebrides Islands of Scotland in 1916. Her family immigrated to the United States when she was 7. She attended Smith College on scholarship, graduating in 1938, and obtained her M.D. in 1942 from Temple School of Medicine. Following her internship and six months of pediatric residency, Dr. Desmond joined the U.S. Naval Reserve as a physician and actively served through World War II, including time at Pearl Harbor.
Postwar, she completed her pediatric training and a fellowship in newborn research. In 1948, she moved to Houston, Texas to join the faculty of Baylor College of Medicine in the Pediatric Department which at that time consisted of four faculty members and two residents. In 1950, Baylor became affiliated with the former Jefferson Davis Hospital and a newborn service was established. Dr. Desmond became the first head of the newborn care section in the Pediatric Department.
In 1956, Dr. Desmond and two other physicians were alarmed at the death rate from staphylococcus infections at Jefferson Davis Hospital, the then city-county hospital. The doctors declared the nursery unsafe and closed it to any more admissions. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Desmond began the first neonatal intensive care unit in the nation at the hospital. Dr. Desmond also worked with infants born with drug addictions. She developed the transitional nursery in which at risk infants were under close observation for potential medical problems. Infants who were seriously ill were placed in a separate unit, which became the first newborn intensive care unit in the southwestern states of the United States. Until Jefferson Davis Hospital closed, Dr. Desmond served as director of nurseries and as pediatric coordinator of its Maternal and Infant Care project.
During the outbreak of rubella in 1963-64, Dr. Desmond worked with about 200 affected infants and children. She recognized that many at-risk infants, whom medical care was able to save, developed conditions that required comprehensive evaluation and long-term care. In 1973 she became the director of the Leopold Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics at Texas Children's hospital. During this period she was on the team which cared for David Vetter, the "Bubble Boy." The Desmond Neonatal Developmental Follow-up Clinic, named for Dr. Desmond, was established in 1994 to provide logitudinal follow-up and neurodevelopmental assessments for pre-term babies.
Dr. Desmond received the Apgar Award from the American Academy of Pediatrics; the Stanley Kalinski Award from the Texas Pediatric Society; and awards from Smith College and Temple University among others.
Dr. Desmond married James L. Desmond who she met while serving in the Naval Reserve. They were married after the war and then moved to Houston, Texas, where her husband had a dental practice until his death in 1969. She and her husband had two children. Dr. Desmond passed away in 2003.
Spencer, William A. (William Albert), 1922-2009
William Albert Spencer born on February 16, 1922 in Oklahoma City. He went to Georgetown University for his Bachelor’s degree and was first in his class in medical school at John Hopkins University. Beginning in 1951 Dr. Spencer would lead staff at Baylor College of Medicine to address the polio epidemic. This research paved the way for Baylor to become one of the most prominent rehabilitation facilities in the country. He would become founder of The Institute of Rehabilitation and Research, or TIRR, which opened its doors on May 30, 1959. Today the hospital is officially part of the Memorial Hermann Hospital system. Throughout his life Dr. Spencer would treat patients, often children and young adults, and conduct research regarding traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injuries. Dr. Spencer served twenty-eight years as TIRR’s president and became known as the “Father of Modern Rehabilitation”; hospitals around the globe modeled their rehabilitation programs after it (Wendler, 2009, p.16). The TIRR was a facility ahead of its time under Dr.Spencer’s leadership. After the development of personal computers, Dr.Spencer petitioned IBM to link the computers (now known as networking) at TIRR and Baylor College of Medicine.
In his nonmedical life, Dr. Spencer would tinker with a number of inventions or other projects. These engineering projects would lead him to develop the physiography, which ended up being an early version of its predecessor the EKG. Dr. Spencer was married twice, first to Helen Hart in 1945 and then to Jean Amspoker in 1984. Jean predeceased him in 2005. Dr. Spencer died on February 18, 2009.
Dr. Mavis Kelsey, founder and senior partner of the Kelsey-Seybold Clinic, P.A. of Houston, became acquainted with Dr. William Seybold first at UTMB and then more closely when both were working at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Kelsey, Seybold, and Dr. William Leary discussed the idea of establishing a group practice.
Kelsey moved to Houston in 1949 and started a practice at the Hermann Professional Building. Seybold followed in 1950 and Leary in 1951. The Kelsey-Seybold-Leary Clinic first resided on the fourteenth and eighth floors of the Hermann Professional Building.
Other members of the Kelsey-Leary Clinic were Dr. John R. Kelsey, Jr., Dr. Mavis Kelsey's brother, and Dr. Albert O. Owens, psychiatrist from the Menninger Clinic. Dr. Seybold left the group in 1952 but returned in 1961, serving as Chief of the General and Thoracic Surgery Department. The physicians continued to practice together as the Kelsey-Leary-Seybold Clinic up until 1965, when Dr. Leary left to join the M.D. Anderson Hospital Staff. The Clinic was renamed the KelseySeybold Clinic.
Through the years the Clinic has changed its location, expanded its services, established satellite clinics, operated branches through the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, headed programs for the armed services and has opened the innovative Fitness Center.
In May of 1979, the partnership was converted to a Professional Association. The Kelsey-Seybold, P.A., also organized by the physician staff of the clinic were the Clinic Drugs, Inc., Kelsey-Seybold Leasehold, Medical Equipment Co., Inc. and Professional Supply Company, Inc.
The Kelsey-Seybold Foundation is a chartered, charitable foundation. The Foundation fosters the advancement of medicine by sponsoring medical research and education, especially cancer research and childcare.
The Kelsey-Seybold Clinic provides a diversity of services ranging from specialized, in depth treatment, comprehensive fitness health maintenance programs and the promotion of scientific research.
William Curry Moloney was born in Boston Massachusetts on December 19, 1907. He died in 1998.
He studied medicine at Tufts College and graduated in 1932 with a Doctor of Medicine degree. In 1961, he was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Science from the College of the Holy Cross. Dr. Moloney was associated with the Medical School of Tufts University for forty years. He began his career in 1934 as an assistant, then rose to a full professor in 1971 and retired in 1974. Dr. Moloney became Emeritus Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School in 1974- and Emeritus Physician and Chief of the Hematology Division, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in 1967. He also served concurrent posts: Consultant, Boston Hospitals, 1938-, consultant, Boston City Hospitals, 1948-, director of clinical laboratories.
He is a fellow or member of the following organizations: American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Federation of Clinical Research, American Medical Association, American College of Physicians, Association of American Physicians.
Dr. Moloney served in Japan with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) as the Chief of the Department of Medicine from 1952-1954. His hematology research at ABCC allowed him to work scientists from many departments.
Dr. Moloney and his wife, Josephine "Jo" (O'Brien) had four children.
Fulbright, Crooker, and Freeman (Houston, Tex.)
Houston Independent School District (Tex.). Board of Education
Donald Wilton Chapman was born in Bridgewater, Iowa, on May 21, 1916 and earned both his BA and MD from the University of Iowa. He served as a major in the US Army Medical Corps in the European Theater during World War II. Chapman moved to Houston in 1944 to become one of the ten original faculty members of Baylor College of Medicine. He taught and practiced for fifty years, was a member of numerous professional organizations, and taught as a visiting professor in medical schools around the United States and the world. The Harris County Medical Society awarded him the John P. McGovern Compleat Physician Award in 1976. Dr. Chapman died on May 3, 2007 in Houston.
Dr. Bryant Boutwell was the Associate Vice President for Accreditation and International Programs at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. He held John P. McGovern, M.D. Professorship in Oslerian Medicine at the UT Medical School at Houston.
Gilbert Wheeler Beebe was born April 3. 1912 in Mahwah, New Jersey. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1933 and completed a Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1942.
Beebe was a captain in the US Army and served in the Office of the Surgeon General during World War II. After the war, he worked with Michael DeBakey to set up the Medical Follow-Up Agency at the National Academy of Sciences. He also worked with Seymour Jablon, also through the MFUA, to reorganize the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission in Japan. Beebe remained director of the MFUA until he retired in 1977. Beebe joined the National Cancer Institute in 1977 and led studies on thyroid cancer and leukemia risk among radiation-exposed Belarusians and Ukrainians after the Chernobyl disaster in 1986. He retired from NCI in 2002 but remained a Scientist Emeritus. Beebe died on March 3, 2003, in Washington, D.C., and is buried in Mahwah Cemetery.
O'Daniel, W. Lee (Wilbert Lee), 1890-1969
Karl Karnaky was born November 7, 1907, in Barham, Louisiana and died May 29, 1988, in Houston, Texas. His parents were from Germany and Austria-Hungary. Karnaky graduated in pre-medicine from Rice University (then the Rice Institute) in 1930 and went on to study medicine at UTMB. He registered for the draft in 1940; he was working out of the Medical Arts Building at the time. In 1940, he treated a five-year-old Houston girl for tumor-induced precocious puberty; the case was compared to that of Lina Medina, a Peruvian girl who gave birth at age five. He taught at Baylor College of Medicine in the late 1940s. He was the director of Menstrual Disorder Clinic at Jefferson Davis and was on staff at Hermann, Park View, Heights, St. Joseph’s, Memorial, and Methodist Hospitals. In the 1960s and 1970s he worked at the Obstetrical and Gynecological Research Institute [and Foundation], Houston.
Dr. William Ogburn Russell, Jr., was born in March 24, 1910 in San Jose, California, and frew up on the Russell Ranch near Sacramento. He earned his MD from Stanford University in 1938. He completed his residency at the Mallory Institute in Boston, Massachusetts, and then returned to California to practice pathology in Santa Barbara. He moved to Houston in 1948 the first chair of the pathology department at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, where he remained until 1977. After his retirement from UT MDA he moved to Florida and spent ten years as director of pathology at North Ridge Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale. Russell was married to Marolyn Cowart Russell, MD, who was also faculty at MD Anderson. He died in August 2, 1997, and is interred at Woodland Cemetery, Woodland, California.
Thirteen linear feet of his papers are available at the UC Davis archives.
Lee D. Cady, MD (1896-1987) graduated Washington School of Medicine in 1922. He served in both World War I and World War II. During World War II he served as the commanding officer of the 21st General Hospital in Northern Africa and Europe. Upon returning home after World War II, he assumed the role of director of the V.A. Hospitals in Dallas then Houston before his retirement from the Houston V.A. Hospital in 1963. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
Ruth Hartgraves, MD, a Houston obstetrician and gynecologist who delivered more than 3,000 Houstonians and pioneered the trail for women in medicine during the span of her 50 year career, died October 17, 1995, at the age of 93. A native Texan, Dr. Hartgraves was born October 24, 1901 and moved to the Houston area during the 1930s to attend the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston. She graduated from UTMB's School of Medicine in 1932, and thereafter completed an internship at the New England Hospital for Women and Children in Boston, and a residency at the New York Infirmary for Women and Children.
Dr. Hartgraves begain her career in Houston in 1935 and held appointments at Methodist, Hermann, Memorial, St. Luke's and Jefferson Davis Hospitals before retiring from practice in 1987. She was also a faculty member of Baylor College of Medicine for almost 30 years.
Dr. Hartgraves was the recipient of the 1992 Distinguished Professional Women's Award which is presented by the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. This award was presented in recognition of Dr. Hartgraves' outstanding achievements in Texas and the nation, for the significant contributions she made to her professional discipline, and for her pioneering spirit to mentor women and to provide a positive role model.
In 1985, she was awarded the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Hartgraves was also the recipient of the 1980 Ashbel Smith Distinguished Alumnus Award granted by the UTMB School of Medicine alumni to graduates who have made significant contributions to the medical profession and to mankind.
She served as an organizer and the first President of the Houston branch of the American Medical Women's Association (AMWA), as well as President of the national AMWA organization. In 1975, her efforts earned her the AMWA's highest honor, the Elizabeth Blackwell Award, presented annually to a person making an outstanding contribution to the cause of women in medicine. Dr. Hartgraves was the first Texas physician to be so recognized.
She was a charter member of St. Luke's United Methodist Church and had a life-long record of involvement in community affairs, including the Houston Grand Opera, the Houston Ballet Society, and the Blue Bird Circle Clinic for Pediatric Neurology.
Houston Chronicle, Thursday, October 19, 1995.
Darrell Clayton Crain, Jr., was born in Washington, D.C., on March 29, 1910 and earned his MD from George Washington University. He worked at Walter Reed Military Hospital before going into private practice in 1937. During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps in the Pacific Theater and was awarded two Bronze Stars. Dr. Crain practiced in Washington for fifty years and founded the Rheumatology Clinic at George Washington University. He retired in 1987 and died in Chevy Chase, Maryland, on July 22, 1995. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.
Dr. Howard Beye Hamilton was born in Oak Park Illinois on December 4, 1918. He graduated from the University of Rochester in New York in 1941 and from Yale University School of Medicine in 1945. Hamilton served in the United States Navy from 1942-1945, during World War II. In the late 1940s and early 1950s Hamilton conducted research at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University, the Long Island School of Medicine, the New York College of Surgeons, and the University of Tokyo in Japan.
In 1956 Dr. Hamilton moved to Hiroshima, Japan, where he lived for the next thirty years. After his move to Japan, Hamilton served as the Chief of Clinical Laboratories for the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) from 1956 until its dissolution in 1975. Hamilton worked in the same capacity for the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF), which succeeded the ABCC, until 1984. Between 1984 and 1986 Dr. Hamilton began transitioning into retirement; he continued to work as a consultant for the RERF during this time.
Dr. Hamilton was a consummate scholar and published extensively thoughout his career. Hamilton published papers on topics including endocrinology, steroid chemistry, enzyme kinetics, hemoglobinopathies, the structure and function of hemoglobin, genetic polymorphisms, biochemical genetics, the long term after-effects of exposure to ionizing radiation, and epidemiology of cardio-vascular disease.
Dr. Hamilton's hobbies included playing tennis and practicing the Japanese theatrical art of Noh, which features dramatic masks and carefully defined movements. After his retirement, Dr. Hamilton catalogued Noh and Kabuki works and published Noh plays. In some circles, Dr. Hamilton was known as much for his enthusiastic patronage and participation in Noh as he was for his work with the ABCC and RERF. (Source: Washington Post, May 9, 2007)
Dr. Hamilton died on May 9, 2007 at his home in Falls Church, Virginia. He was 88 years old.
Walter J. Russell received his medical education at St. Louis University Medical School. He graduated in 1952 with a Doctor of Medicine degree. He is a member of several learned societies. They are as follows: Diplomate American Board Radiology (radiology), American College of Radiology, American Roentgen Ray Society, Health Physics Society, Nippon Societas Radiologica, New York Academy of Sciences, Pan American Medical Association, Radiological Society of North America, Society of Nuclear Medicine. In July of 1959, he was appointed Chief of the Department of Radiology of the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission. Dr. Russell continued his to conduct his research with the ABCC successor organization, the Radiation Effects Research Foundation. His association with RERF continues today. Dr. Russell, his wife Mitsuko and children still live in Hiroshima Japan.
Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education
The Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education (SACME) was established April 2, 1976 as the Society of Medical College Directors of Continuing Medical Education (SMCDCME). On July 20, 1998, SMCDCME was re-named to its current title. Note: This Chronology was taken from the SACME website, History page www.sacme.org.
1976 Society established on April 2.
1981 First issue of Mobius published (Lucy Ann Geiselman, editor); Research Committee formed (Harold Paul, chair).
1984 Support of the Research and Development Resource Base in CME (Continuing Medical Education) by the Society (Dave Davis); RICME (Research in Continuing Medical Education) I (David Gullion, Lucy Ann Geiselman, chairs); Training of Society interviewers for "the change study."
1985 Change study interviews total 200.
1986-1988 Search for Society logo.
1986 RICME II (Dave Davis, chair).
1987 First issue of INTERCOM published in January (Harold Paul, Dene Murray, editors); Joint plenary session CME/SMCDCME; highlights of the change study.
1988 RICME III (John Parboosingh, Jocelyn Lockyer, chairs); First Congress on CME (Phil R. Manning, Chair); First honorary member of the Society (Cyril Houle); Title change from Mobius to JCEHP (The Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions) with v. 8 (1); Development of first membership brochure (Harold Paul, Dene Murray and others).
1989 Change study published (Robert Fox, Paul Mazmanian, R.Wayne Putnam, editors); Changing and Learning in the Lives of Physicians; Strategic plan for the Society (George Smith); Membership in the Council of Academic Societies (James Leist, Dale Dauphinee).
1990 First meeting of the "Armadillo Society" (past presidents); RICME IV (Nancy Bennett, chair).
1991 Tri-Group leadership formalized by Alliance for Continuing Medical Education (ACME), Association for Hospital Medical Education (AHME) and SMCDCME; Foundation for research established (James Leist); First Distinguished Service Award (Malcolm Watts).
1992 JCEHP reorganized (James Leist); Third Congress on CME (George Smith, chair); SMCDCME incorporated (George Smith and Robert Kristofco); New JCEHP editor appointed (William Felch); Society home established at AAMC (Brownell Anderson); Position paper presented: The Role of Continuing Medical Education in Academic Health Centers (William Easterling).
1993 Distinguished Service Award (Phil Manning); Research Award (Dave Davis); CME Glossary (Joe D'Angelo); Society listserv established (Robert Bollinger); First Society brochure competition (Susan Duncan); New member orientation established at Spring Meeting (Deborah Holmes).
1994 Distinguished Service Award (Julian S. Reinschmidt); Research Award (Robert Fox); Research Endowment Council established (Brian O'Toole); Task force white paper, The connection between continuing medical education and health care reform (George Smith, Gloria Allington).
1995 Request from AAMC for statement on CME; Reorganization of AAMC's Group on Educational Affairs (GEA), continuing education one of four sections; Pew-Glaxo Working Group on the Future of Academic CME Research Award established (Jocelyn Lockyer, recipient); Distinguished Service Award (Martin Shickman); Report of Society working group on Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) essentials and standards, Future directions for medical college continuing medical education (Arnie Bigbee, chair); Request from ACCME for SACME accreditation surveyors.
1996 Four Society task forces and focus groups address the task force report; Society invited to participate in restructuring of the ACCME.
1997 SMCDCME listserv established by Bob Bollinger.
1998 July 20, SMCDCME re-named the Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education (SACME).
1999 SACME Web site created by Bob Bollinger.
Harris County Hospital District
The Harris County Hospital District was created by voter referendum in November 1965 and formalized with taxing authority in January 1966. Its creation followed the publication of Jan de Hartog’s The Hospital, an expose of the conditions at Jefferson Davis Charity Hospital (opened 1924). The District replaced a contentious city-county system in which both were responsible for support of the hospital. Quentin Mease was a founder and chairman of the District.
Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital opened in 1989. In 1990, emergency facilities at Lyndon B. Johnson and Ben Taub (1963) Hospitals were expanded and Harris County residents began to be assigned to each by ZIP code to better manage caseloads. HCHD was renamed Harris Health System in 2012.
University of Texas at Austin. Development Board
Francis Irving Catlin was born on December 6, 1925 in Hartford, Connecticut. He received his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1948 from Johns Hopkins University, where he also served two residencies in otolaryngology and head and neck surgery. Dr. Catlin served in the U.S. Air Force Medical Corps from 1950-1952 at the rank of Captain and was the Assistant Chief of E.N.T. Service, U.S. Air Force, 1100th Medical Group, Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D.C. Dr. Catlin taught and conducted research as a faculty member at Johns Hopkins from 1955-1972. There, he was a part of the Department of Otolaryngology in the School of Medicine, the School of Public Health and Hygiene’s Environmental Medicine Department, and the Public Administration. In 1972 Dr. Catlin and his family moved to Houston, Texas, where he accepted the appointments as Professor at the Baylor College of Medicine in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology; as Chief-of-Service in the department of Otolaryngology at St. Luke’s Episcopal the and Texas Children’s Hospitals; and as the Director of the Speech, Language, and Learning Disorders at the Texas Children’s Hospital. Dr. Catlin died Februayr 24, 2014 and is buried in Church Hill, Maryland. Print finding aid by Margaret Irwin, 1992/1996
Dr. Kanellos Charalampous was born in Greece in 1931. He attended Texas Christian University and majored in biology and chemistry. Later, he was accepted into Baylor College of Medicine. He began his rotating internship at Houston City Hospital and began his residency at Baylor. In his post-graduate career, he worked in the development and research of psychopharmacology. [Citation: Biographies, and 2015 December 24. KANELLOS CHARALAMPOUS: CONFRONTING THE ZEITGEIST by Barry Blackwell and Kanellos Charalampous (2015): 1-27. International Network for the History of Neuropsychopharmacology. 24 Dec. 2015. Web.]
Kenneth Livingston Burdon, MD, was born in Providence, Rhode Island in 1895. He was educated at Brown University, receiving his Ph.D. in 1922. Dr. Burdon served with the U.S. Army Sanitary Medical Corps, (1918-1919), taught at Washington University School of Medicine (1922-1935) and then at Louisiana State University School of Medicine (1935-1943). Kenneth Burdon, MD is recognized as the Founding Chair of the Department of Microbiology Baylor University College of Medicine (1943-1961). He was awarded Professor Emeritus of Microbiology in 1961.
Dr. Burdon’s research and publications feature the following topics: “characterization of a group of aerobic spore-forming bacilli, especially Bacillus anthracis, and on immediate-type hypersensitivity. He also worked on development of an antibiotic to treat tuberculosis. He was a director of an NIH-supported Fellowship Training Program in Allergy and Immunology in conjunction with the Department of Pediatrics from 1958 to 1967. Dr. Burdon authored six editions of a widely used textbook Microbiology, first published in 1939. He also authored a Medical Microbiology textbook.”
Dr. Burdon retired in 1967 and passed away in 1985. Further information and a bibliography of Dr. Burdon’s papers are available in the first folder of this collection.
Citation:"Kenneth L. Burdon, Founding Chair, Microbiology." Baylor College of Medicine. Accessed February 21, 2016. https://www.bcm.edu/departments/molecular-virology-and-microbiology/about-us/history-of-the-department/kenneth-l-burdon.
Marvin Aaron Kastenbaum was born in New York City on January 16, 1926. During World War II, he served with the 124th Cavalry Regiment and later the 613th Field Artillery Battalion. Kastenbaum was stationed in Burma, and the units he was stationed with participated in the reopening the Burma Road, a vital supply route from Burma to China.
After the war, Kastenbaum returned to his studies and graduated from the City College of New York with a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics in 1948. He received his Master's degree in statistics from North Carolina State College in 1950 and his PhD from the same institution in 1956.
In January 1953, during a hiatus from his studies, Kastenbaum took a post as statistician in the Biostatistics Department of the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission in Hiroshima, Japan. While with ABCC he had occasion to review much of the medical data which had been collected by the commission between 1947 and 1954. He and Dr. William C. Moloney wrote a study of A-bomb radiation on humans. Upon completion of the final report, Marvin A. Kastenbaum decided he would make a career of medical statistics. In September of 1954 he returned to Chapel Hill to complete the requirements for his doctorate in statistics at the University of North Carolina. While there, Dr. Kastenbaum worked as a statistician for the University's Department of Public Health.
Dr. Kastenbaum died September 24, 2019, in Orlando, Florida.
University of Texas. Board of Regents
Murray Marcus Copeland was born June 23, 1902, in Georgia, and died April 2, 1982, in Easton, Texas, although he lived in Houston at the time. Copeland was a professor of surgery at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center from 1960 to 1982. He had been chair of Georgetown University’s medical school from 1947 to 1960 and was president of the American Cancer Society from 1964 to 1965. Dr. Copeland graduated from Oglethorpe University in 1923 and earned his MD from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1927. He also trained in surgery at the Mayo Clinic Memorial Hospital for Cancer in New York City. He served in medical corps in the Pacific Theater during World War II and was awarded a Legion of Merit. Copeland has an entry in the Handbook of Texas Online.
Rundles, R. Wayne (Ralph Wayne), 1911-1991