Showing 1147 results

Authority record

Texas Hadassah Medical Research Foundation

  • Corporate body
  • 1991-

The Texas Hadassah Medical Research Foundation was part of Baylor College of Medicine during the late-1990s and early 2000s. The organization, led in part by Dr. Armin Weinberg, provided medical supplies, cross-cultural collaboration and professional exchanges with Israel, Palestine, Kazakhstan, Russia, and other nations. An important part of its work dealt with radiation effects and events, like Chernobyl and atomic test sites in Kazakhstan. The organization developed the Cancer Registry of survivors of radiation events.

Live Oak Friends Meeting

  • Corporate body
  • 1954-

Live Oak Friends Meeting was founded in 1954 and met in congregants’ homes and in several temporary locations before settling in first to an adapted house on Alexander Street. In 2000 they moved into a building on W. 26th Street in the Heights, designed for them, that includes an installation by light artist James Turrell.
Jan and Marjorie De Hartog were longtime residents of Houston and members of Live Oak Friends Meeting, and personal friends of the donors. The original video was recorded by Warren, Ph.D., and Marsha Holleman, M.D., also members of Live Oak and faculty at Baylor College of Medicine.
Jefferson Davis Hospital opened originally in 1924; a second building was constructed in 1939 (razed 1999). By the 1950s, disputes between the city and county over who was responsible for its costs had left it underfunded, understaffed, and plagued by appalling conditions. The De Hartogs’ expose The Hospital prompted the formation of the Harris County Hospital District (Harris Health), the reform of public hospital conditions in Houston, and the development of Ben Taub Hospital in 1963.

Visiting Nurse Association of Houston, Inc.

  • Corporate body
  • 1908-

Now VNA Health, the Visiting Nurse’s Association is a nonprofit founded in 1908 that provides in-home care for a wide variety of patient needs, including in-home nursing and assisted living, hospice care, various forms of therapy, and lending medical equipment.

Texas Health Care Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1950-

Founded in 1950, the Texas Health Care Association is an education and advocacy group for long-term health care providers such as nursing homes, in-home caregivers, assisted living homes, and rehabilitation facilities.

Houston School for Deaf Children

  • Corporate body
  • 1947-

The Center for Hearing and Speech was founded in 1947 as the Houston School for Deaf Children. The school, which originally occupied a house on Austin Street, was founded by four parents who wanted their children to learn to speak without sign language. The school eventually expanded to offer speech therapy and audiology. The name was changed by the Board of Directors in 1994 to reflect this wider mission. The school component of the Center was renamed the Melinda Webb School in 2002 in honor of a former student whose father, Frank Webb of Texas City, made a generous donation.

Texas Medical Center Nursing Education Consortium

  • Corporate body
  • 1991 -

The TMC Nursing Education Consortium was organized in 1991 for the purpose of sharing ideas about staff education. It eventually developed three classes, on perinatal care, critical care, and instruction, and offered them to TMC member institutions. It met at the Doctor’s Club until that closed around 2002, and then at another building on Fannin (the reply said “Fannin and Main” but they don’t intersect) for a few more years before fading out.

John P. McGovern Museum of Health and Medical Sciences

  • Corporate body
  • 1996-

The Health Museum started out as a series of health exhibits proposed in the wake of the 1962 “Victory Over Polio” mass-immunization campaign. The exhibits opened in 1969 within the Museum of Natural Science. The Museum of Health and Medical Science reopened in 1996 in its own building and was renamed the John P. McGovern Museum of Health and Medical Science in 2001 following a bequest from the McGovern Foundation. The Museum has expanded several times and now features a 4D theater (2008) and the DeBakey Cell Lab, the first bilingual science laboratory museum in the US. In 2017 it became the first Smithsonian affiliate in the Houston Museum District.

University of Texas School of Nursing PARTNERS

  • Corporate body
  • 1994-

Providing Advancement Resources To Nursing Education Researchers was formed in 1994 to encourage and support the students and faculty of the Cizik School of Nursing through scholarships, research grants, and endowed professorships, and has also raised funds to build and equip research facilities.

ABAA KAKEN

  • Corporate body
  • 2016

The ABAA KAKEN group was began by Professor Masahito Ando, a renowned expert in Archival Science in Japan. The group completed a Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) grant-in-aid research project titled "The Study on Developing Of A Digital Archive Relating To Atomic-Bomb Radiation Effect On The Human Body." The ultimate goal was to build a digital archive of Atomic-Bomb related documents. TMC Library with its unique collection of personal papers of ABCC -related scientists is a core member of the international part of the project and also a partner in international collaborative effort to make digitized documents available online for researchers around the world. The TMC Library agreed to preserve the work product of the group for posterity.

TWU Historical Research in Nursing

  • Corporate body
  • 2014

The 27th Texas Legislature founded Texas Woman's College as the Girls Industrial School in Denton, Texas,in 1901, and graduated its first class in 1904. Graduate studies were initiated in 1930 and the first doctoral degree was awarded in 1953. It created Texas' first nationally accredited nursing school with Parkland Hospital, Dallas, in 1954. The name was changed to the College of Industrial Arts in 1905, Texas State College for Women in 1934, and finally Texas Woman's University in 1957. Men were admitted to select programs in 1972, then universally in 1994. The nursing doctoral program is the largest in the country.

NURS 6903.61 Historical Research: Lessons Learned in Hiroshima was offered during the fall 2014 semester as a Special Topics Study Abroad opportunity. The class was an opportunity for nursing students to explorehistorical research as a change from quantitative and methodological methods emphasized in the hard sciences. The topic for fall 2014, taught by Dr. Sandra Cesario, was the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945. Postwar research on the short-term and long-term effects of the bombings have made significant contributions to disaster response, ethics, environmental studies and occupational safety, and radiation therapy. Dr. Cesario and five students visited historical sites in Hiroshima Prefecture, including the Hiroshima Peace Memorial, Five-Storied Pagoda at Miyajima, the "A-Bomb Dome", and Mt. Misen Observatory. Students kept travel journals about their experiences and feelings during the trip.

Burbank, Reginald

  • Person
  • 1888-1972

Reginald Burbank, MD, was born in Pittsfield, Massachusetts on July 26, 1888. Dr. Burbank obtained his medical degree from Cornell Medical College in 1915. Some of the many professional positions he held included: Assistant surgeon New York Orthopedic Hospital (1916-1926); Chief of the Arthritis Clinic at Cornell Medical College (1917-1919); Instructor in Arthritis, chief, arthritis clinic Bellevue Medical College (1916-1926); Consultant on arthritis, Brooklyn Hospital (1926-1956); and Director, arthritis clinic St. Claire’s Hospital 1940-1956). Dr. Burbank dedicated more than fifty years of his life to the study, research, and treatment of arthritis, rheumatism, and gout. Dr. H.J. Hadjopoulos conducted research alongside Dr. Burbank for forty-seven years, and Dr. Hadjopoulos’ name is attached to most of the medical research drafted and published in the manuscripts found within these papers. Dr. Burbank died December 20, 1972, in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Bertner, Ernst William

  • Person
  • 1889-1950

Dr. Ernst William Bertner was born at Colorado City, Texas, August 18, 1889. After graduating from the local high school and the New Mexico Military Institute at Roswell, New Mexico, he entered the Medical Branch of the University of Texas, Galveston, receiving his MD in 1911.

Following his graduation, he took intern and residency training at the Willard Parker Hospital, Saint Vincent's Hospital and the Manhattan Maternity Hospital, all in New York City. He came to Houston in July, 1913, where he engaged in practice until World War I, when he enlisted in the Medical Corps.

He was assigned to the British Army, and went overseas in July, 1917. In March, 1918, he was transferred to the American Expeditionary Force, and assigned to Headquarters Medical and Surgical Consultants at Newfchateau, France.

Dr. Bertner had a varied and exciting career in France and served actively on most of the front lines. He was wounded by shrapnel and confined to a hospital for a short period of time. He was soon returned to duty. At one time he was caught in one of the famous German pincers movements and was one of the few surviving Medical Officers.

He was discharged from the Army in June, 1919, at Camp Dix, New Jersey with the rank of Major. The following month he resumed his practice in Houston. In May 1921, he went to Baltimore, Maryland, for post-graduate work at Johns Hopkins Hospital, in surgery, gynecology, and urology. He resumed practice in Houston in May 1922, and since that time limited his work to surgery and gynecology.

He was married at St. Louis, November 30, 1922, to Miss Julia Williams, daughter of the late W.E. Williams formerly General Manager of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in Texas.

Dr. Bertner was always an active member of organized medicine, in the county, state and national organizations and served as seventy-second president of Texas State Medical Association. He served as President of the Harris County Medical Society, President of the Post Graduate Medical Assembly of South Texas, President of the Texas Surgical Society, and President of the Texas Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

He was a member of the Executive Committee of the Central Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. He was State Counsellor and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He was a member of the American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American Gynecological Association, Central Association of Gynecologists, and Interurban Gynecological Society.

Dr. Bertner was active in hospital organization, having formerly been Chief of Staff of Jefferson Davis Hospital in Houston, and very active in building the first unit of that institution. Later, he became identified with Hermann Hospital and did much towards the development of the institution, where he served as Chief of Staff. He was also on the Surgical Staff of Memorial Hospital and Southern Pacific Hospital in Houston.

He served as Vice-Chairman of the Houston Board of Health and Executive Committeeman of the Texas Social Hygiene Association. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church in Houston, a 32nd degree Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner and Knight Commander of the Court of Honor of the Scottish Rite, and a member of the Houston Club, Ramada Club, and Houston Country Club.

Dr. Bertner was one of the founders of the Texas Medical Center and was its first president from 1945-1950. He was named by the University of Texas as acting director of the M.D. Anderson Hospital for Cancer Research when that institution was conceived. He was responsible for the professional organization and the operation of the hospital for the first four years of its existence. He served as professor and chairman of the department of gynecology for the Baylor College of Medicine since its establishment in Houston from 1943 until his death in 1950.

During World War II he was in command of the Emergency Medical Service of the Office of Civilian Defense, and received a Presidential Citation for this service.

Dr. Bertner was a past Vice-President of the American Cancer Society and served on its Board for several years. He was chairman of the Executive Committee of the Texas Division and received the American Cancer Society award for distinguished service in cancer control in 1949. He was a member of the Board of Directors of the Houston Chamber of Commerce. He was a member of the Citizen's Committee for Reorganization of the Executive Branch of the Government, an outgrowth of the Hoover Commission Report.

Dr. Bertner died July 28, 1950 in Houston following a two year battle with cancer. He was survived by his wife, Julia Williams Bertner, two sisters and a niece.

Matney, Thomas

  • Person

“Dr. Thomas S. Matney was a Houston philanthropist and emeritus professor of genetics and environmental science at The University of Texas Health Science Center and M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. Professor Matney made important contributions to scientific understanding of cancer-causing agents and the genetic mechanisms that underlie the development of cancer. His wide-ranging philanthropic and service activities enhanced the well-being of hundreds of Houston-area children and families.

Thomas Stull Matney was born on September 21, 1928, in Kansas City, Missouri. His family moved to Texas when he was 10 years old. He received bachelor's and master's degrees in biology and chemistry from Trinity University in San Antonio, and the Ph.D. degree in bacteriology from the University of Texas at Austin.

In the 1950s, Matney served as Captain and later civilian Medical Bacteriologist in the U.S. Army Chemical Corps in Fort Detrick, Maryland where he developed protections for chemical and biological weaponry. Dr. Matney moved to Houston to join the Biology Department of the M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute in September of 1962. He became the first associate dean of the newly formed UT Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and a Distinguished Professor Emeritus. He was also a member of M. D. Anderson Steering Committee for Alumni and Faculty.

Dr. Matney was a generous supporter of the University and mentor to many graduate students. He personally financially supported students studying at the UT-Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. He established endowments of The Thomas Stull Matney Professorship in Cancer Genetics and The Thomas Stull Matney Professorship in Environmental and Genetic Sciences, both to support scientific excellence and service to graduate education.

He was married to Glenda Matney nee Oglesby until her death in 1990 and had three children with her. He remarried Nancy Lee Matney.

Dr. Matney's community service activities focused primarily on the well-being of at-risk children. He served as a consultant to the City of Houston Parks and Recreation Department about problems concerned with violence prevention in children. He was a Trustee and raised millions of dollars for Hospitality Apartments, which provides affordable housing for those undergoing long term medical treatment in Houston.

Dr. Matney was a past president of Emerson Unitarian Universalist Church, in Houston. He was also a Past President of the Houston Chapter of National Train Passenger Association as well as other national and local rail road organizations.

Dr. Matney died at the age of 82 on November 28, 2010 after an extended illness.” (1)


  1. “Thomas Matney Obituary,” Houston Chronicle (Houston, TX) December 5, 2010
Results 201 to 300 of 1147