Showing 1147 results

Authority record

Suzuki, Wilma Zoe Green

  • Person
  • 1921-2012

Zoe Green was born on November 22, 1921 at Aspen Leaf Ranch in Alta, WY. She graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in nursing. She was in the cadet medical corps and became a second lieutenant during WWII. After the army, Zoe worked as Assistant Director of Nurses at the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) where she met her husband, Mac Suzuki, who was a doctor also working for the ABCC.

[source: https://www.desmondfuneralhome.com/obituary/Wilma-Zoe-Suzuki/Bloomfield-Hills-MI/1038929]

Spina Bifida Association of Texas, Inc.-Houston Chapter

  • Corporate body
  • 1975-

This is now Spina Bifida Houston Gulf Coast. They are no longer associated with the national organization and have changed their name to reflect that. Their primary focus now is The Camp That Love Built, a camp for children with spina bifida. This started in 1975 as a camp for special-needs children and moved to Burton, Texas, in 1998

Stroke Group of Texas

  • Corporate body

History unclear: The material in the collection begins in the early 1980s and the group appears to have been in existence as late as 1995 and possibly as late as 2006.

Harris County Psychiatric Center

  • Corporate body
  • 1986-

The Harris County Psychiatric Center opened in 1986 and became the psychiatric wing of the UT Health Science Center at Houston in 1990; it serves as the teaching hospital for the McGovern Medical School. Except for the outpatient ECT clinic, it provides inpatient care only and runs specialized programs to address a long list of concerns. Outpatients are referred to the NeuroPsychiatric Center at Ben Taub Hospital or to a Mental Health and Mental Retardation Association clinic. It serves the community both directly and through the Harris County jail and juvenile detention systems, school districts, and many other educational, legal, and health and development-focused institutions.

Ronald McDonald House, Houston

  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

Ronald McDonald Houses provide a home-like place for families to stay while their children are receiving treatment in the hospital. The Houses were the idea of Fred Hill of the Philadelphia Eagles football team, when he and his wife needed a place to stay while their daughter Kim underwent treatment for leukemia at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. The first Ronald McDonald House opened in Philadelphia in 1974. Houston’s first Ronald McDonald House, funded in part by the Houston Oilers, opened at 1550 La Concha lane, near the Astrodome, in 1981. It had 21 bedrooms but was soon outgrown and replaced with a 50-bedroom House nearer the Texas Medical Center, near Holcomb Boulevard and Cambridge Street, in 1997. There is also a 20-room House inside Texas Children’s Hospital (2002) and a 14-room one inside Children’s Memorial Hermann (2007).

Ivan F. Duff, MD

  • Person
  • 1915-1994

Dr. Ivan Frances Duff was born July 20, 1915 in Pendleton, Oregon. He died in October 1994. He graduated from the University of Oregon and the University of Michigan Medical School, where he completed his internship and residency training in internal medicine. In 1946 he joined the faculty of the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan, as an instructor, becoming a Professor in 1960. Dr. Duff founded the Turner Geriatric Clinic at the University of Michigan Medical Center. His major interest was in the field of rheumatic diseases.

Dr. Duff was a member of U.S. Naval Reserve and served on active duty as a commander in the Submarine Medical Service in the Pacific theater from 1942 to 1946. After the war, he returned to the University of Michigan where he joined the faculty of the Department of Internal Medicine.

Dr. Duff's interest in epidemiology led to studies with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) beginning in 1964. He was a researcher with the ABCC from 1967-1975 and then with the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF) from 1975-1986. He studied the incidence and prevelance of rheumatoid arthritis and gout in Hiroshima and Nagasaki patients.

In 1980, Dr. Duff was a member of an American Physician Exchange Group of twelve doctors visiting the People's Republic of China at the invitation of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences. This initial visit led to a long relationship between Dr. Duff and the Chinese medical community. From 1981 to 1991, Dr. Duff was a research consultant at Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences Beijing, People's Republic of China, where he collaborated in epidemiologic studies of rheumatic diseases.

Dr. Duff was a leader in the field of rheumatology. He was the recipient of many awards and honors and served on many national panels.

Dr. Duff died at his home in Ann Arbor, Michigan on Oct. 27, 1994 at the age of 79.

Tessmer, Carl F.

  • Person
  • 1912-2012

Carl Frederick Tessmer was born in North Braddock, Pennsylvania on May 28, 1912. He received his higher education at the University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1933 he received his Bachelor of Science with highest honor. From 1933 to 1935, he studied medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical School and graduated in 1935 with a Doctor of Medicine degree. Dr. Tessmer completed a rotating internship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 1936. He served his residency in pathology at Presbyterian Hospital, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, 1937. In 1937, he was granted a one year fellowship in pathology, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. On August 21, 1939 he married Maxine Keller. Together they had two sons, Jon and David. Upon the completion of his fellowship Dr. Tessmer accepted a residency in pathology at Queens Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii, 1939-1940.

Dr. Tessmer has had a twenty-three year association with the United States Armed Forces. He served in the United States Army Medical Corps, from 1940-1963 and retired with the rank of Colonel.

During the early 1940s he worked in Laboratory Services in hospitals in Hawaii and Saipan. In 1946, he traveled back to the mainland and the East coast. At the Army Institute of Pathology in Washington, D.C. he served as a pathologist. He also was part of Operation Crossroads with Task Force One on Bikini Island, 1946 and worked for the Naval Medical Research Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, 1947.

In 1948, Dr. Tessmer was appointed the first Director of the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission. Dr. Tessmer's association with the program began even before its formal inception, he took part in a survey in 1946 which actually established much of the basis for the organization. This was with a distinguished pathologist Dr. Shields Warren, Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, and this included a significant amount of clinical data on A-bomb survivors, photographs and blood smears. As matters subsequently developed, he came the director of the program in Japan under the auspices of the National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council and Atomic Energy Commission.

The Tessmer family returned to the United States in 1951. For the next three years, 1951-1954, Dr. Tessmer was the Commanding Officer for the Army Medical Research Laboratory in Fort Knox, Kentucky. After attending the Basic Radioisotopes Training Course at the Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies in 1954 he was appointed Chief of the Radiation Pathology Branch and Chief of the Basic Science Division for the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C. He served as Chief for six years, 1954-1960. Dr. Tessmer returned to Japan in 1960. For the next two years, 1960-1962, he served as the Chief to the Medical General Laboratory (406). Dr. Tessmer travelled to Houston, Texas after a year with the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Washington, D.C., 1962-1963.

Dr. Tessmer has been affliated with the University of Texas for over a decade, 1963-1974. He has served as Chief Pathologist and Professor of Pathology at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute at Houston and Graduate Faculty member at the University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Science at Houston. While teaching at UTGSBS he sponsored four graduate students for the doctoral degree. From 1971-1973 he was the Program Coordinator for the University of Texas Medical School at Houston.

From 1973-1985, Dr. Tessmer was associated with the Olin E. Teague Veterans' Center, Temple, Texas in several capacities. His appointments were: Chief, Laboratory Service of the Olin E. Teague Veterans' Center, 1973-1985; Medical Director, Medical Technologist School, Southwest Texas University, 1976-1977; Medical Director, Medical Technician School, Temple Junior College, 1973-1985. Dr. Tessmer's last academic post was as Professor, Department of Human Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Texas A&M University College of Medicine, College Station, Texas, 1977-1985.

Dr. Tessmer was very active as a physician, pathologist, adminstrator and professor. He had medical licensure in the states of Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Hawaii, and Texas. He wrote forty-five publications. and was a member or fellow of eleven professional organizations. They were: American Society of Clinical Pathologists (Fellow), College of American Pathologists (Fellow), American Association of Pathologists, Radiation Research Society, Washington Society of Pathologists (President, 1959-1960), International Academy of Pathologists, Texas Medical Association, Texas Society of Pathologists, Texas Society for Electron Microscopy, Member, CAP House of Delegates, Texas, 1971-, Sigma Xi. His expertise has been in high demand. He served as a consultant to a number of institutes, committees and agencies. They were: Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies, Medical Division, 1956, the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Division of Biology and Medicine Advisory Panel, AEC (Californium 252 program), 1968, HEW, Food and Drug Admistration, Radiation Bio-Effects and Epidemiology Advisory Committee, 1972. Dr. Tessmer has had a number of appointments: Diplomate to the American Board of Pathology - Clinical and Anatomic Pathology, 1941, Subcommission on Radiation Pathology, I.C.P.R., 1967-1973, President of the Houston Society of Clinical Pathologists, 1970-1973, Member of the International Commission for Stage Grouping on Cancer and Presentation of Results (I.C.P.R.) (International Society of Radiology), 1973-.

Dr. Tessmer retired from academia in 1985. His sons - Jon F. is a physician in Brownwood, Texas and David P. Lives in Pittsburgh, PA. On October 13, 1992 he married Shizue Murata. They enjoyed living in the Texas countryside and traveling until Dr. Tessmer's death on February 2, 2012.

Miles, Thomas F.

  • Person
  • 1858-1937

Thomas Franklin Miles, MD, was born in either Bullock County or Montgomery, Alabama, on February 28, 1858. His family moved to San Antonio in 1867 and then north to McLennan County, near Bruceville, in 1868. He taught for several before attending Vanderbilt University and graduated from Tulane in 1884 with a degree in Doctor of Medicine. He practiced first in Eddy and then in Lorena, Texas. He helped organized Lorena's First National Bank and was elected bank president in 1908. He also owned 4,000 acres of ranch land. He died on May 7, 1938 after living and practicing in the Lorena area for 54 years and is buried in Lorena Cemetery.

Brady, Connie

  • Person

Connie Brady was a nursing student at the Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in San Angelo, Tom Green County, Texas, in 1960-1964.

Levy, Moise Dreyfus

  • Person
  • 1889-1963

Moise Dreyfus Levy Sr, MD was born September 4, 1889 in Galveston, Texas and grew up in Natchitoches, Louisiana "where he attended school and later the Louisiana State Normal College" (Texas State Journal of Medicine volume 59 pages 248-49, March 1963). Levy graduated from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston in 1913. He was awarded an internship at St. Louis City Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri (Texas State Journal of Medicine, volume 9).

Dr. Levy served two years in the United States Medical Corps during World War I. Afterwards, he returned to Texas where he became an assistant professor of medicine at his alma mater, the University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston from 1915 until 1922. Levy served as a clinical professor at Baylor College of Medicine from 1943 to 1954 and was a professor emeritus from 1954 until his death in 1963 (TSJM 59:248-49, Mar., 1963).

Dr. Levy was the first president of the Texas Society of Pathology, which was founded in 1921 and continues to exist today. He was a founding member of the American Board of Internal Medicine and a fellow of the American College of Physicians. In 1957, Dr. Levy was elected president of the Harris County Medical Society. He was an active member of the medical community and was a member of many organizations including The American Heart Association, Houston Society of Internal Medicine, World Medical Association, American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygene.

Dr. Levy married Sarah Weill in 1917. They had four children: Moise D. Levy Jr. b.1918, Justine, Sara Jo and Melanie b. 1925. Dr. Levy's son Moise D. Levy, Jr. followed his father into medicine and became a successful rheumatologist.

Dr. Levy was active in Jewish affairs, he was twice elected president of the Houston Congregation for reformed Judiasm. He was active in the Rotary Club and in the Planned Parenthood Center of Houston. (TSJM 59:248-49, Mar., 1963).

Dr. Levy was the author of 33 published medical writings. Several of Dr. Levy's articles focused on the Houston / Galveston / Beaumont area, including a 1920 article on an epidemic of Dengue fever that had recently affected Galveston, TX and the surrounding area.

Dr. Moise Dreyfus Levy Sr. died at his home in Houston, TX on Jan. 30, 1963 at the age of 73.

Stembridge, Vernie A.

  • Person
  • 1924-2000

Vernie Albert Stembridge was born in El Paso, Texas on June 7, 1924. He earned his medical degree in 1948 from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. Dr. Stembidge completed his internship at the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital in Norfolk, Virginia, and residency training in pathology at both UT Medical Branch at Galveston and the Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies, Oak Ridge, Tennessee. In 1952 Dr. Stembridge joined the faculty of the UT Medical Branch at Galveston as assistant professor of pathology.

Dr. Stembridge entered the U.S. Air Force in 1956 as a senior pathologist at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, D.C. He later received the Legion of Merit, the nation's second highest peacetime award, for his contribution to military aircraft safety. After discharge as a major in 1959, Dr. Stembridge began his affiliation with UT Southwestern and Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. From 1960 to 1976 he served as director of the Tumor Clinic at Parkland Memorial Hospital and in 1962 was appointed professor of pathology at UT Southwestern.

In 1966 Dr. Stembridge was named acting chairman of pathology and in 1967 became chairman of pathology and director of the clinical pathology laboratories at Parkland, Dallas. After he stepped down as chairman of pathology in 1988, he served as acting dean of the Southwestern Allied Health Sciences School for two years.

Dr. Stembridge was a leader in the field of pathology. He was the recipient of many awards and honors and over the years has been a consultant to many agencies. UT Southwestern friends and colleagues have honored him by establishing the Stembridge Scholarship Award, presented annually to an outstanding senior medical student in pathology at Southwestern Medical School. Dr. Stembridge died on December 1, 2000 at the age of 76.

Reference source: "The Stembridge Festschrift. Honoring the Retirement of Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D." Reprint, MS# 143, box 5 folder 20.

Anderson, Raymond C.

  • Person
  • 1918-2008

Dr. Ray C. Anderson, MD, Ph.D, was born in Duluth, Minnesota in about 1918. He attended Gustavus Adolphus College where his undergraduate mentor Dr. J. Alfred Elson "helped him obtain a teaching assistant position at the University of Minnesota in the lab of Dr. C.P. Oliver, a leading geneticist. Anderson went on to complete his Ph.D. in Zoology (Genetics). Oliver encouraged him to apply to medical school to study the burgeoning field of medical genetics" (University of Minnesota, College of Biological Sciences: Biography, Spring 2008.)In 1946 Anderson recieved his medical degree from the University of Mainnesota, ranked first in his class.

After receiving his medical degree, Anderson accepted an internship at the University of Michigan Genetics Institute, where he met Dr. James Neel. In 1947 Dr. Anderson was obligated to enlist in the U.S. Army as a Medical Officer. In this capacity Dr. Anderson was asked by Dr. Neel if he would like to participate in a genetic study of survivors of the atomic bomb blast in Hiroshima, Japan. Dr. Anderson was very interested in this research, and in November 1947 Anderson traveled to Japan to join the research team at the newly-formed Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission.

Anderson remained with the ABCC for two years. During this time he worked closely, though not always harmoniously, with Dr. Neel. Anderson contributed to a number of studies of the health of the survivors and children of the survivors of the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

In 1949 Ray Anderson returned to the United States, where he gravitated towards the field of pediatric cardiology. He enjoyed a long and successful career in cardiology, and was a member of the surgical team at the University of Minnesota that preformed the very first open heart surgery. He published over 135 articles over the course of his career.

Dr. Ray Anderson enjoyed a long and distinguished medical career that spanned a number of years. The collection at the John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center focuses on the brief period of Dr. Anderson's career from 1947 to 1949, when he worked with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission.

Dr. Ray Anderson died May 20, 2008 in Sun City, Arizona, where he lived part of the year after his retirement from medicine in 1980.

Ruiz, Richard S.

  • Person
  • 1932-

"Richard S. Ruiz, MD, was born in Houston on July 12, 1932. He established the Hermann Eye Center in 1977. A native Houstonian, Ruiz attended Texas A&M and graduated with an M.D. degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston in 1957. During his internship at Hermann Hospital, Ruiz decided to specialize in ophthalmology. He was accepted at the Kresge Eye Institute in Detroit for a three year residency to train in ophthalmology, and then received a fellowship to the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary of the Harvard Medical School where he trained under Charles L. Schepens, MD, who is known as the “father” of modern retinal surgery. In July 1962, Ruiz returned home and opened his ophthalmology practice in the Hermann Professional Building. He worked diligently to build his practice and during the next ten years, founded Houston Eye Associates, brought highly trained subspecialists into the partnership, and was appointed Chief of Ophthalmology at Hermann Hospital. Along with practicing medicine, Ruiz worked to improve the hospital’s training program for new eye doctors.

In 1969, the University of Texas formally announced that it would establish a medical school in the Texas Medical Center, with Hermann Hospital as its primary teaching hospital. When details emerged about plans for Hermann’s new hospital building, a facility that would be interconnected to the Medical School and the hospital’s Robertson Pavilion, Ruiz began to develop an idea to utilize space in the new building to create a world class eye center. His plan would bring together his private ophthalmology practice, Hermann Hospital eye patients, and the teaching and research of the Department of Ophthalmology at the medical school into one endeavor. Ruiz’s appointment as Chair of the Department of Ophthalmology in the new medical school enabled him to take the final steps to create a comprehensive eye center. In time, the Hermann Eye Center became known for excellence in patient care, education, and research in ophthalmology.

Ruiz served as Chief of Ophthalmology at Hermann Hospital (later Memorial Hermann – TMC) from 1967 until 2009. He was the founding director of the Hermann Eye Center and the Hermann Eye Fund, and chair of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science at the University of Texas Medical School – Houston for the first thirty-seven years of its history." (1)


  1. This biographical note is a direct quote from the book cover of: Ruiz, Richard S. and William H. Kellar. Ophthalmology at Hermann Hospital and the University of Texas, Houston: A Personal Perspective. N. p. 2010.
Results 401 to 500 of 1147