Showing 2501 results

Authority record

Yost, Joyce E.

  • Person

Joyce Elizabeth Elder Yost, while a doctoral student at University of Texas Health Science Center - School of Public Health, completed her dissertation titled “AIDS Talk” in December 1996.

Yoffe, Boris

  • Person
  • 1949-

Boris M. Yoffe was born August 24, 1949. He earned an MD in 1974 from the Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel. He has taught gastroenterology at Baylor since 1983.

WTR

Women's Fund for Health, Education, and Research

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n2005046538
  • Corporate body
  • 1979-

The Women’s Fund was founded in 1979 by Jacqueline and Wayne Goettsche to support research in women’s health and promote education to women and girls in underserved populations. In addition to hosting fundraising events, the Fund supplies research grants and publishes A Primer On Women’s Health, which is circulated free of charge in both English and Spanish.
University of Houston Library archives collection 2000-002 has Women’s Fund materials 1979-1997.

Women's Auxiliary to Texas Children's Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1954-

Known for their red vests, the Women’s Auxiliary to Texas Children’s Hospital (WATCH) is a volunteer service organization that provides supplemental services for patients, families, and staff of Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston, TX. The organization was established in 1954 when Texas Children’s Hospital opened in the Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, WATCH has provided such services as, manning information kiosks, managing the coffee shop and toy shop, escorting patients and families through the hospital, conducting tours of visitors, and acting as hosts at medical symposia. They also provided clerical work and translation services. The organization began with 300 volunteers in 1954, and it has grown to over a thousand, providing tens of thousands of volunteer hours each year to all Texas Children’s Hospital locations in the Houston area. The Auxiliary publishes a magazine entitled WATCH that showcases volunteers, service programs, developments in the hospital, and fundraising events.

WATCH also has provided significant fundraising for the hospital through the years. The organization is one of the top ten donors to the Texas Children’s Hospital. The annual Silver Tea is one of the many fundraising projects organized by WATCH. Other projects have included vending machines, Christmas cards, toy shop sales, and an annual bazaar.

Junior Auxiliary to Texas Children’s Hospital is a program that offers junior volunteers between the ages of 15-18 the opportunity to interact with patients or perform administrative duties. The Junior Auxiliary or Junior Council was established in the late-1960s.

Texas Children’s Hospital opened on February 2, 1954 within the Texas Medical Center in Houston, TX. It is the primary pediatric training site for Baylor College of Medicine, which has one of the largest pediatric residency program in the United States. Members of the Houston Pediatric Society were first to recognize the urgent need for a children’s hospital in the area and began a series of informal planning sessions in August 1947. As a result, the Texas Children’s Foundation was organized and chartered expressly to develop plans for the hospital and secure community support for the project. Members of the Junior League of Houston, who sponsored a prenatal and children’s health clinic in the city since 1927, have been instrumental in the history and development of the hospital from the beginning. After the 1993 expansion, Texas Children's Hospital became the largest pediatric medical facility in the country.

SOURCES:

“Women’s Auxiliary to Texas Children’s Hospital”, 20th Anniversary Texas Children’s Hospital, The Junior League of Houston and The Women’s Auxiliary to Texas Children’s Hospital commemorate the 20th Anniversary of Texas Children’s Hospital, 1974

“Foundation and History of Texas Children’s Hospital”, 20th Anniversary Texas Children’s Hospital, The Junior League of Houston and The Women’s Auxiliary to Texas Children’s Hospital commemorate the 20th Anniversary of Texas Children’s Hospital, 1974

“Six Decades of Making a Difference”, Aspire, Texas Children’s Hospital blog, 2016, http://aspire.texaschildrens.org/donor/2016/1469/ [accessed 2/13/2018]

Handbook of Texas Online, "Texas Children's Hospital," accessed January 29, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/sbt06.

Woman's Hospital of Texas

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n87947718
  • Corporate body
  • 1976-

The Woman’s Hospital of Texas was founded in 1976 and specializes in care focused on the needs of women.

Wolf, Edward Trowbridge

  • Person
  • 1900-1987

Edward Trowbridge Wolf, MD was born May 2, 1900 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He received his Bachelor of Science in Pre—Med from Pennsylvania State College and in 1948 was honored with a 25 year Service Award from the Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity there. He was a June 1933 graduate of Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, PA. Dr. Wolf served his internship at the Frankford Hospital in Philadelphia from 1933 to 1934 and at the William Beaumont General Hospital while in the US Army. Upon coming to Houston, he established his 46-year Internal Medicine practice at 4411 Fannin.

During WWII, Dr. Wolf was called up for active duty by the US. Army during which time he served at the rank of Major (MAJ), beginning January 1941, until his promotion to Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) in February 1943. In addition to stateside assignments, he was a veteran of two years of service with the medical corps in Australia and in the jungles of New Guinea. Following his service in Australia, he returned to inactive military status separating from the service in August 1945 to resume his Houston practice. LTC Wolf received an Honorable Discharge from the Army in May of 1951.

Dr. Wolf was appointed to the Baylor University College of Medicine Clinical Faculty as Assistant/Associate Professor of Medicine in Sept. 1943 and continuously held the position through June 1975. While a member of the medical staff at the Methodist Hospital in Houston, Dr. Wolf served as the Chairman of the Metabolic, Endocrine, Joint Disease Medical Care Appraisal Committee and Chairman of the Publications Committee. He was the first editor of News Notes published for the Methodist Hospital medical staff, a post he held for 5 years. Dr. Wolf was chairman of the first Blood Bank Committee of the Harris County Medical Society, and is perhaps most widely known as editor, for 10 years, of the Medical Record and Annals.

As a 45-year member of the Harris County Medical Society he served on the Press Committee. Dr. Wolf was Historian of Houston Society of Internal Medicine and in 1951, President of the Postgraduate Medical Assembly of South Texas. He was a member of the Texas Medical Association for 50 years, serving in 1968, as Chairman of the Technical Exhibits Sub-Committee. An Associate of the American College of Physicians, Dr. Wolf also held memberships in the American Medical Association, American Society of Internal Medicine and the NIH Alumni Association. He served as Consulting Internist for the Texas State Highway Patrol, the Southern Pacific Railroad (1961-1965), and was Consulting Internist and a member of the Board of both Planned Parenthood and the Visiting Nurses Association.

In addition to his professional service, Dr. Wolf contributed to many local organizations including the Deptartment of Medicine Library Fund of the Baylor College of Medicine, the Dept. of Medicine Library Fund of the Methodist Hospital, the Ellard Yow Memorial Library at Methodist Hospital, and The Foundation for the Museum of Medical Science. Edward Trowbridge Wolf, MD passed away July 15 1987.

Wittich, Fred

  • Person
  • 1885-1965

Frederick William Benjamin Oscar Wittich was born February 3, 1885, in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and died February 3 (not a typo), 1965 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He married twice, to Anna Wetterau in 1914 and to Viola Lerum in 1935. Dr. Wittich first proposed that dogs could be susceptible to hay fever in 1941, and addressed the 19th annual Conference of Veterinarians in Columbus, Ohio, in 1950 with the findings that, in addition to pollen, dogs could be allergic to metal (as in cooking utensils), dust, orris root face powder, eggs, and some commercial dog foods. He was also apparently among the first to write about molds as potential allergens.

Wigodsky, Herman

  • Person
  • 1915-2005

Herman S. Wigodsky was born in Sioux City, Iowa on June 12, 1915. His undergraduate education took place in South Dakota. In 1936 he received his Bachelor of Arts in the field of biology from Yankton College, Yankton, South Dakota. While at University of South Dakota, he was a laboratory instructor in the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology in the School of Medicine. The following year he received a Bachelor of Science degree in the field of medicine from the University of South Dakota, Vermillion South Dakota. From 1937 to 1941 he studied at Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois. During his years at Northwestern he served as a research associate in the Department of Physiology. In 1938 he received a Master of Science degree in the field of physiology. After two more years of study he graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine and a Doctorate in physiology. Finally in 1941 he graduated with a Doctor of Medicine degree. Dr. Wigodsky completed an internship at Evanston Hospital, Evanston, Illinois, 1940-1941. After his internship Dr. Wigodsky taught at Northwestern University as an Instructor in the Department of Physiology. 1940-1946.

Dr. Wigodsky's service with the United States Military began in 1939. He served in the U.S. Army and Air Force Reserves, in ranks First Lieutenant to Lieutenant Colonel from 1939-1971. His first assignment with the United States Air Force was as Chief of the Department of Physiology, USAF School of Aviation Medicine, Randolph Field, Texas. From the period, 1939 to 1947 Dr. Wigodsky accepted ten assignments from the United States Air Force.

Dr. Wigodsky became associated with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) in 1947. He was the Professional Associate on the Committee on Atomic Casualties, National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington, D.C. His assignment with the ABCC concluded in 1950 but his interest in nuclear accidents and radiation research continued.

Dr. Wigodsky was affiliated with the University of Texas Health Science Center and Medical School at San Antonio, starting in 1955. His first appointment was from 1955-1961, as the Director of the University of Texas Post-Graduate School of Medicine, San Antonio, Texas. Dr. Wigodsky served as a consultant and later as an Associate Coordinator for the University's Regional Medical Program Planning Office, 1967- 1968, 1968-1970. For eight years, 1970-1978 he was a lecturer in the Department of Pathology. In 1978 he was promoted to Clinical Professor. He was very active as a physician, professor, consultant and administrator. He coauthored a chapter entitled "Humans as Research Subjects" for the book In Birth to Death: Biology, Science, and Bioethics editors T. Kushmer and D. Thomasma. His principal research interest is "Pathophysiology of atherosclerosis utilizing the baboon as an animal model for human cardiovascular disease risk factors."

Dr. Wigodsky married Jo Ann Pincus in 1946. They had three grown children - John, Dan and Ann. He died January 24, 2005.

WHO

  • Corporate body

Wharton, John Austin

John Austin Wharton (1828-1865) was a Confederate major-general and lawyer

Wharton, John Austin

John Austin Wharton (1828-1865) was a Confederate major-general and lawyer.

Results 1 to 100 of 2501