Showing 6 results

Authority record
Professional society

University of Texas Faculty Wives

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

The Faculty Wives was established in 1973-1974 when the medical school was new to the Medical Center “to promote friendship among its members and to be of service to the Medical School and the community”. A 1978 bake sale started the scholarship fund. In addition to scholarships and book money, the organization has donated to many institutions and programs. Female faculty were admitted as of the 1985-1986 school year.

Texas Nurses Association District 9

  • Corporate body
  • 1935-

District 9 of the Texas Nurses' Association opened in the Medical Arts Building in 1935. It originally encompassed 14 counties but now includes 8.

Harris County Academy of General Practice

  • Corporate body
  • 1948-

The Harris County Association of General Practice is a component branch of the American Academy of General Practice and the Texas Chapter of the American Academy of General Practice. Through the diligent efforts of Dr. Lyman C. Blair and others a charter was issued on July 23rd, 1948, thereby establishing the Harris County Chapter.

On September 1st, 1948 the Harris County Association of General Practice held its first meeting in the Medical Arts Building. Twenty three physicians participated in the presentation and acceptance of the chapter's first constitution and by-laws. Officers were elected and monthly meetings were scheduled at this time. Dr. Blair served as the chapter's first president and Dr. M. E. Petway was elected the first Secretary.

Over the years meetings were held in a number of locations to encourage general practitioners to join and gather support. Some of the locations were the Medical Arts Building, the Baylor College of Medicine, the San Jacinto Inn, various restaurants and hotel dining rooms, M.D. Anderson Hospital and the Doctors' Club. Eventually, dinner meetings were established at the Doctors' Club, an annual meeting was held at the M.D. Anderson Hospital and the February meetings were held in Baytown.

Following the lead of its parent organization, the Association lent support to local general practitioners, encouraged young physicians to enter the field, and sponsored a number of postgraduate and scientific programs conducted by various nationally recognized specialists. The Harris County Association of General Practice took great pride in its efforts to improve the image of general practice and the fine postgraduate programs it conducted.

The Harris County Medical Archive is proud to house this vital collection. The collection successfully documents the history of a local medical association and to some extent the attitudes with the field of general practice.

The collection is open for research. Those interested in using the collection whould contact the Archivist or Special Collections Librarian.

Committees of the Harris County Academy of General Practice Credentials Hospital Liaision Public and Profession Relations Education and Program Membership By-Laws Publications Special Resolutions and Memorial Grievance Ethics and Jurisprudence Entertainment Student Orientation Budget Roster Historical

Greater Houston Dental Society

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n88095511
  • Corporate body
  • 1904

The Greater Houston Dental Society, formerly the Houston District Dental Society, was founded in 1904 and serves as the Houston-area chapter of the Texas Dental Association and the American Dental Association. It seeks to provide public and professional health education.

Beta Beta Houston

  • Corporate body
  • 1969-

Texas Woman's University (TWU), College of Nursing began in the fall of 1954, received accreditation from the National League of Nursing in May 1958. Beta Beta Chapter was officially recognized as a chapter, by TWU, in October 1969. The inaugural inductions were held the spring of 1970. The mission of the organization is to support the learning knowledge, and professional development of nurses committed to making a difference in health worldwide. The society vision is to create a global community of nurses who lead in using knowledge, scholarship, service and learning to improve the health of the world’s people. [Source: Beta Beta Houston, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. (2010). Retrieved from http://www.betabetahouston.org/ on November 5, 2011.]