Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Baylor College of Medicine
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Baylor College of Medicine is a private medical school located in the Texas Medical Center. It opened in October 1900 in Dallas, Texas, by Albert Ferdinand Beddoe, A.B., M.D., and Samuel Hollingsworth Stout, A.B., M.D., as the University of Dallas Medical Department (there was no such school as the University of Dallas). In 1903 it joined with Baylor University and became the Baylor University College of Medicine. In 1943, the M.D. Anderson Foundation invited the College of Medicine to join the fledgling Texas Medical Center in Houston, so in July of that year it reopened in a former Sears, Roebuck, and Company warehouse. It moved into the current Roy and Lillie Cullen Building in 1947. Michael DeBakey joined as chair of the surgery department in 1948. The College expanded both physically and by reputation through the 1950s and 1960s.
In 1969, the College of Medicine separated from the University and officially changed its name to Baylor College of Medicine. In addition to the medical school, it has a Graduate School of Biomedical Science, the School of Allied Health Professions, and the National School of Tropical Medicine.