Dentistry

Taxonomía

Código

Nota(s) sobre el alcance

Nota(s) sobre el origen

Mostrar nota(s)

Términos jerárquicos

Dentistry

Términos equivalentes

Dentistry

Términos asociados

Dentistry

11 Registro de autoridad results for Dentistry

11 resultados directamente relacionados Excluir términos relacionados

Houston District Dental Society

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n88095511
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1904

The Greater Houston Dental Society, formerly the Houston District Dental Society, was founded in 1904 and serves as the Houston-area chapter of the Texas Dental Association and the American Dental Association. It seeks to provide public and professional health education.

Parris, Sam

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n86015187
  • Persona

As of 2021, Sam H. Parris is a Professor Emeritus of the University of Texas Dental Branch.

University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n85224997
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1905-

The Texas Dental College was established in Houston in 1905. It operated in the upstairs quarters on the north side of Franklin avenue between Main street and Fannin street. In 1925, the dental college built a modern teaching facility at Fannin street and Blodgett avenue. In 1929, the Texas Dental College was re-incorporated as a public trust under the direction of a board of trustees charged with the responsibility of providing quality training in the dental disciplines.

In 1932, Dr. Frederick C. Elliott from the University of Tennessee was brought on to serve as dean of the college. At this time in Houston the depression has cast an economic blight over the land. He was hoping for a freshman class of 30 to 40 but ended up with 11 students registered. Dr. Elliot became active in Chamber of Commerce committee work and, through service on the Educational Committee, pointed to the community’s needs for greatly expanded medical teaching and healing facilities. He developed a “total care” concept, calling for both public and private funds to provide facilities and services to meet the health and medical needs of all the citizens. Dr. Elliott quietly started discussions with Dr. Homer P. Rainey, the president of the University of Texas, and others in the University system, to lay the ground work for affiliation of the dental college with the university, with the dental college to remain in Houston as perhaps a unit in a medical teaching center which Dr. Elliott and Dr. E.W. Bertner sought for the community. On May 13, 1941, harry B. Jewett, chairman of the Chamber of commerce Educational Committee, on which Dr. Elliott then was serving, jumped the gun when he informed the Executive committee that the University of Texas would take over the dental college on September 1, 1941, and operate it as a unit of the University system. The official announcement did not come until August 29, 1942, contingent upon legislative approval and appropriation of state operating funds. The Legislature did approve, and on May 14, 1943, Governor Coke Stevenson signed the bill authorizing the affiliation.

The University took over the dental college as of September 1, 1943 leaving Dr. Elliott as the dean. Later, Dr. Elliott was named vice president of the University System. With the state cancer hospital already assured for Houston, and as further inducement for the University to take over the dental college, the Anderson trustees agreed to provide a site in the proposed medical center for the college and to donate $500,000 towards the cost of a building. In 1946 the Anderson trustees offered to provide an additional $1.5 million to the cancer hospital and the dental college. The two University institutions then approved for location in the medical center on a basis of $1 by the Foundation for each $2 provided by the State of Texas. The dental college trustees, all of whom had been active in seeking the affiliation were: Dr. Walter Henry Scherer, president; Dr. Joseph Phillip Arnold, vice president; Dr. Robert Henry Hooper, secretary; Dr. Paul Veal Ledbetter, Dr. Judson L. Taylor, and Dr. Elliot, ex officio secretary and dean of the college. Legislative approval of the affiliation of the dental college with the University, and appropriation of $109,000 for support of the college, remained to be accomplished in the regular session of the Texas Legislature, which convened early in 1943. Dr. Elliott met with the Chamber of Commerce Executive Committee on February 2,1943, to seek support in the legislature. Dr. Elliott reported to the committee on March 16, 1943, that the Senate and House committees had approved the legislation and complimented Representative Emmett Morse of Houston in handling the bill. A most important factor influencing favorable legislative action was the program embarked upon by the Texas Dental College to train dentist for the Army and Navy. Today the University Of Texas School Of Dentistry occupies handsome quarters in the Texas Medical Center, provided by funds from the State of Texas, the M.D. Anderson Foundation and the Houston Chamber of Commerce.

Levy, Barnet M.

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n81050355
  • Persona
  • 1917-2014

Barnet M. Levy was born in Pennsylvania in 1917. He received his AB and DDS degrees from the University of Pennsylvania and an MS degree from the Medical College of Virginia. He held positions at Medical College of Virginia, Washington University, Columbia University, National Institute of Dental Research, American Board of Pathology, Texas A&M, and many more. He came to Houston in 1957 and established the University of Texas Dental Science Institute.
[Citation: “D’Souza, R.N., P. O’Neill, H. Arzate, and P.B. Robertson. “A Tribute to the Life of Dr. Barnet M. Levy." Journal of Dental Research. SAGE Publications, July 2014. Web.PMID: 27455533. doi: 10.1177/0022034514537275]

Dreizen, Samuel

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n81043291
  • Persona
  • 1918-1994

Samuel Dreizen was born September 12, 1918 in New York, New York, and died April 26, 1994, in Houston, and is buried at Beth Yeshurun Cemetery in Houston. He taught at the University of Texas Dental Branch.

Elliott, Frederick C.

  • http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n2004006056
  • Persona
  • 1893-1986

Dr. Frederick C. Elliott was born in Pittsburgh, Kansas on October 26, 1893. He worked for a short time as a pharmacist.

In 1918, he received his doctorate in dentistry from Kansas City Dental College. The following year he taught at the same institution as an instructor of Histology and Clinical Dentistry. For the next four years, 1919-1923 he served as Professor of General and Dental Pathology and eventually Superintendent of Clinics at Kansas City-Western Dental College. Dr. Elliott accepted the position of Superintendent of Clinics in 1928 at the University of Tennessee, College of Dentistry. In that same year on April 28 he married Ann Orr.

Houston became Dr. Elliott's home in 1932 when he accepted a Professorship of Dental Prosthesis and Deanship at the Texas Dental College. He was instrumental in getting the Texas Dental College to become part of the University of Texas System. From 1943 to 1952 he served in both academic and administrative posts in the University's School of Dentistry.

Dr. Elliott's vision, dedication and perserverance were instrumental in the growth and development of the Texas Medical Center. He campaigned tirelessly on behalf of the Dental Branch and the Texas Medical Center. Under his leadership as Executive Director and Secretary of the Board of Directors, 1952-1963 over $120 million dollars of capital improvements were planned and completed. Even after his retirement Dr. Elliott continued to lend support and encouragement to the Texas Medical Center.

Dr. Elliott wrote and spoke extensively on the University of Texas System and the Texas Medical Center. In the 1950s and 60s Dr. Elliott, Dr. James P. Hollers and others were active participants in the structuring of the South Texas Medical Center in San Antonio.

In addition to his administrative and teaching responsibilities Dr. Elliott was an active member in many professional associations and organizations, including : American Dental Association, Tennessee State Dental Association, Houston District Dental Society - Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science - Fellow, Texas Academy of Science, Texas State Dental Society, Federation Dentaire Internationale, International Association for Dental Research. He also lent his energies and expertise to government service, civic and business organizations and hospitals.

Dr. Elliott has received numerous awards, honors and citations. The William John Gies Award (1973) from the American College of Dentists, the Gold Medal Award from the Pierre Fauchard Academy (1960), Dentist of the Century in commemoration of the Houston District Dental Society Centennial on May 16, 1959 are just a few of his earned distinctions.

Dr. Elliott was a deeply religious and patriotic individual. His concern for humanity fueled his efforts for excellence in teaching and health care systems. On December 31, 1986 the Texas Medical Center lost one of its most industrious founders

Autrey, A. M., Jr.

  • Persona
  • 1899-1983

Adam Manuel Autrey, Jr., was born October 31, 1899 and died June 17, 1983; he is buried in Forest Park Cemetery in Houston.

Watts, Elie M., III

  • Persona
  • 1940-2012

Elie Moores Watts III, born January 6, 1940, in Bowie, Texas died October 17, 2012, in Texarkana. He went to East Texas State University (now Texas A&M University - Commerce) in Commerce. He lived in New Boston, Texas, and is buried there at Read Hill Cemetery.

Rehrauer, Walter

  • Persona
  • 1890-1981

Walter Rehrauer was born in New York City on August 3, 1890. His family moved to Houston around 1911 and he graduated from the Texas Dental College in 1914. He served in the U.S. Navy or Naval Reserve during World War I, the inter-war period, World War II and beyond. He died at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio on March 11, 1981, and is buried at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.

Skjonsby, Harold S.

  • Persona
  • 1937-2017

Harold S. Skjonsby, DDS, (July 6, 1937 - July 2017) served as a faculty member at the University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston in the 1960s to the 1980s. He was involved in various faculty committees, including the Evaluation Committee, Developmental Biology Committee, Cell and Tissue Biology Committee, Human Biology Committee, and the Teaching Committee. Skjonsby also served as an academic advisor to dentistry students.

Ranfranz, Oscar E.

  • Persona
  • 1898-1992

Oscar Earnest Ranfranz was born 27 March 1898 in Rochester, Minnesota and died 2 April 1992 in Houston, and is buried at Forest Park Cemetery. He was a dentist and had an office in the Medical Arts Building. Dr. Ranfranz lived in Sherman, Texas, for awhile in the 1920s but had moved to Houston by 1934.

There was a Lutheran Hospital in Houston from the early 1960s to about 1990 but I was unable to find much else on it.