Name and location of repository
Level of description
Hermann Hospital records
- 1949-1993 (Creation)
16 cubic feet (22 boxes)
Name of creator
Hermann Hospital was a public hospital endowed by George Hermann (1843-1914) with a fortune accumulated through investments in oil and real estate. The hospital opened south of downtown Houston in the summer of 1925. It merged with Memorial Hospital in 1999 to create Memorial Hermann Health System. The original Spanish-style building is now part of Children's Memorial Hermann in the northwest corner of the Medical Center.
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
The collection contains records from the George Hermann estate and from Hermann Hospital covering the years from circa 1900 to 2004. The condition of the materials range from endangered to good condition. Materials include correspondence, ledgers, memos, photographs, 35 mm slides, realia, and ephemera.
Subjects: hospitals, Hermann Hospital, Memorial/Hermann Hospital.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
This collection is in good condition.
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Inventory is available.
Uploaded finding aid
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Immediate source of acquisition
Source is unknown. Assumed to be the creator.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
No accruals are expected for this collection.
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Citation: Hermann Hospital records; IC 019; John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library. Please cite the box and folder numbers where appropriate.
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Inventory prepared by Alethea Drexler, May 2011.