San Jacinto Lung Association records

Building started for Seal Sale at 612 Bagby Building started for Seal Sale at 612 Bagby. Building started for Seal sale at 612 Bagby. Miss Atkinson Basement of Jefferson Davis Hospital, circa 1940 Robert V. Moise Dr. Greer Dr. Deaton Mr. S. H. Spencer and Emmeline Renis breaking ground for new addition to the Tuberculosis Clinic,... Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Tuberculosis Clinic Being Raised and Reinforced Medical Social Workers Medical Social Workers Board Member Autry Memorial (negative) Westside Negro Tuberculosis Clinic TB Nurse Caring for a Child. Caring for TB Patient Dr. Elva Wright Examines X-Ray in the basement of Jefferson Davis Hospital Dr. Elva Wright Examining Children Dr. Elva Wright Standing with Four Men Dr. Elva Wright Celebrating Thirty Years of Service Dr. Elva Wright Celebrating Thirty Years of Service. Dr. Elva Wright Celebrating Thirty Years of Service Dr. Elva Wright Presenting a plaque to Labor Leaders. Dr. Feder Presenting Dr. Elva Wright with a Plaque Honoring her Services and Achievments in the F... Dr. Elva Wright in a Fire Truck. Dr. Elva Wright in a Fire Truck (negative) Dr. Elva wright Receiving Donations. Dr. Elva wright Receiving Donations. Dr. Elva wright Receiving Donations from Lulacs. Dr. Elva Wright's Nephew and his Wife Mr. and Mrs Merill Wright Emmeline J. Renis Emmeline J. Renis Emmeline Renis Standing with two Men Emmeline J. Renis standing with two men Emmeline Renis Accepting a Donation Emmeline Renis with campaign Evelopes Emmeline Renis, Mrs, Charles Royds, and Mrs. Williams M. Boyd Emmeline Renis being interviewed by a School Press Club Emmeline Renis with francis Brennan and Karen Basen Robert V. Moise and Aubrey Clavin, officers of the San Jacinto Lung Association Robert V. Moise with four other men Mrs. Robert v. moise and the other members of the commitee planning the dedication of the new Tub... Mrs. Robert v. moise and the other members of the commitee planning the dedication of the new Tub... Henriette de Beaulieu being presented a corsage by the Brownies Henriette de Beaulieu shoing Dr. Elva Wright how to make a corsage. Henriette de Beaulieu who created the corsage made with Christas Seals Henriette de Beaulieu who created the corsage made with Christas Seals Lena Pecover teaching a group about tuberculosis Lena Pecover and other public health nurses at the San Jacinto Lung Association First educational director for the Tuberculosis Association, Lena Pecover, giving a lecture Medical Students from Baylor litening to Lena Pecover give a lecture on the Tuberculosis Associat... May Poloc and W.F. Norman threading a movie projector Bart Copeland Bart Copeland with five members of the San Jacinto Lung Association Dr. Bundy receiving a medal from Texas Tuberculosis Association Mrs. Francis Brown taking an X-Ray of a child in the tuberculosis clinc Mrs. Francis Brown taking an X-Ray of a child in the tuberculosis clinc Billy Sulivan in the mobile X-Ray unit James Shelton Letter written by Mrs. Rober Timmins to Mrs. Emmily Renis M. C Oldham Dr. Redrick Brown explaining a chest X-Ray Founder of the National Anti-Tuberculosis League, Dr. Trudeau Founder of the National Anti-Tuberculosis League, Dr. Trudeau Neil Armstrong on the Moon Miss Renis, Weekly Voice of Health brodcast over radio station, KPRC with Bellaire representatives San Jacinto Lung Association office workers Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic during the 1949 Snow Storm Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic during the 1949 Snow Storm Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic during the 1949 Snow Storm Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Anti-Tuberculosis League's Bagby Street Clinic. Pneumothorax clinic in the basement of Jefferson Davis Hospital Flooding at the Basement of the Jefferson Davis Hospital Building. Flooding at the Basement of the Jefferson Davis Hospital Building. Flooding at the Basement of the Jefferson Davis Hospital Building. Flooding at the Basement of the Jefferson Davis Hospital Building. Flooding at the Basement of the Jefferson Davis Hospital Building. Robert V. Moise Aubrey Calvin and Henry A. Stubee studying building plans Robert V. Moise Aubrey Calvin and Henry A. Stubee studying building plans Henry Stubee and Robert V. Moise holding an architecural rendering of the Houston Tuberculosis As... Front elevation sketch of the Hosuton- Harris County T.B. Association
Results 1 to 100 of 253 Show all
Open original Digital object

Identity elements

Reference code

IC 034

Level of description

Collection

Title

San Jacinto Lung Association records

Date(s)

  • 1911-1993 (Creation)

Extent

13 cubic feet (12 boxes)

Name of creator

(1911-)

Administrative history

Led by Dr. Elva A. Wright, the San Jacinto Lung Association was first established on November 11, 1911 as the Houston Anti-Tuberculosis League. In the early 20th Century, Houston had a higher death rate of tuberculosis than the national average with two in 1000 persons dying from the disease in 1910. At the time, there was no organized movement to address the public health crisis in the city. The founding members were Dr. Wright, Mrs. J. G. Love (General Secretary of United Charities), Sybil Campbell (Headworker at Rusk Settlement House), Dr. T. B. Thorning, and Dr. M. B. Stokes. They modeled the organization on the National Anti-Tuberculosis Association and the Texas State Anti-Tuberculosis Association, which were establish a few years before in 1904 and 1908 respectively.

The Association was a non-profit, community-driven organization dedicated to engage the people of Houston to control, prevent, and educate the community about tuberculosis. Its primary focus and goals were to: Educate public of cause and symptoms. Promote healthy living. Establish free clinic. Employ visiting public health nurses. Develop sanitariums and hospitals. Advocate for laws to control tuberculosis. Encourage city and county health departments to lead fight.

Through the years they operated daily clinics for treatment and diagnosis of tuberculosis as well as conducted mass-screenings using chest X-rays and skin tests. As the the prevention and treatment of tuberculosis became more effective, the Association started to address other respiratory diseases, and provided lung performance tests to screen for emphysema and asthma.

The Association’s first clinic space was a five room cottage at 55 Gable St. It was loaned to the organization by the Mayor of Houston, H. Baldwin Rice. It opened on January 21, 1912, but after 3 months the space was reallocated for a new school, forcing the members to use their private practices to treat tuberculosis patients. On December 13, 1913, the Association opened its first free clinic at 608 Bagby St. It was a modest bungalow built through the donations of area labor unions and merchants. The Association remained at this location, in some capacity, into the 1950s. The bungalow was expanded, moved, and reinforced against the eroding bayou banks in the 1930s. In 1938, the free clinic services were moved to the basement Jefferson Davis Hospital. September 15, 1957, the Association moved into its newly built headquarters at 2901 West Dallas Avenue. Aubrey Calvin led the $125,000 building project with funds donated through the Christmas Seal campaign.

In 1918 the first tuberculosis hospital and sanatorium opened in Houston. Located at what is now Shepherd Drive and Allen Parkway. The hospital was tax-supported and operated by the city with additional funds from Harris County. Facilities were expanded to treat more and more cases, especially children. Through the donation of Mrs. James L. Autry, the Autry School opened in 1925 and provided children with undisrupted education while they were treated at the hospital. In 1947 the City of Houston took over full operation of the clinic and public health nursing services allowing the Association to focus more on its education and prevention services. Through more effective drug treatments and the Association’s programs, like school screening in 1930s, chest X-rays in 1940s, and mobile X-ray units in 1950s, the tuberculosis death rate declined significantly in Houston.

Dr. Elva A. Wright led the effort to establish an anti-tuberculosis association to prevent and treat tuberculosis in Houston. She said, “I’d rather be remembered for the disease I prevented than for the disease I cured.” Dr. Wright was born in Pennsylvania in 1868 and received her medical degree from Northwestern University in 1900. She practiced obstetrics, but her interest turned to tuberculosis and its effect on children during her post-graduate work in Europe and Chicago. She opened her office in Houston within the Temple Building on Main St., and through her practice, she saw how tuberculosis affected children and families throughout the city. She served as president of the Association until her death on July 18 , 1950. She also served as chief of the children’s clinic and Houston TB Hospital as well as chairman of general medical staff. Robert V. Moise took over as president in 1950 after Dr. Wright’s death.

Emmeline J. Renis joined the Association as a nurse in 1920. She shared the administrative work with Dr. Wright, eventually becoming the executive director. She was the executive director through the 1960s.

Dr. Katharine H. K. Hsu was born and educated in China. She came to the United States in 1948. She joined the Association in 1952 and remained an integral part of the organization through the 1970s. In the early 1960s, Dr. Hsu led one of the largest comparative studies that evaluated the multiple-puncture Heaf test against the more established Mantoux and patch tests. Testing more than 5,000 Houston school children, she confirmed that the Heaf test was reliable and offered improvements in mass-screening. She was an associate in the Department of Pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine as well as pediatrician-in-charge for the Tuberculosis Children’s Hospital and Clinic for Houston and Harris County.

Other individuals related to the Association are Dr. Howard T. Barkely (Board of Directors), Dr. Daniel E. Jenkins (Board of Directors), and Dr. W. J. Stork (Chief Radiologist).

From the beginning, the Association utilized Christmas Seal sales as its primary source of funding. First used in Denmark in 1904, Christmas Seals were purchased as extra postage for holiday packages, and the proceeds went to hospitals for children. In 1907 the National Anti-Tuberculosis Association began selling Christmas Seals in America as a fundraising campaign to fight tuberculosis. From $263.82 in 1911 to over $150,000 in 1956, the San Jacinto Lung Association funded all of its programs through the annual Christmas Seals campaign.

The following is a list of the different names of the San Jacinto Lung Association through the years: 1911, Houston Anti-Tuberculosis League 1950, Houston-Harris County Tuberculosis Association 1967, San Jacinto Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases Association. 1974, San Jacinto Lung Association Currently, National Lung Association Houston

The following community institutions have been affiliated with the Association through its history: Houston Tuberculosis Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, Harris County Medical Society, Rusk Settlement House, Community Chest, United Charities, Jefferson Davis Hospital.

SOURCES:

Pamphlet, “Unfinished Business: 50th Anniversary of the Houston-Harris County TB Association. MS 009 W. J. Stork, MD papers. McGovern Historical Center.

Organization Records. IC 034 San Jacinto Lung Association. McGovern Historical Center.

Farmer, W. C. “Tuberculosis Pioneers in Texas,” Chest. American College of Chest Physicians, p. 131. http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/data/Journals/CHEST/21104/131.pdf Accessed 9/20/2016

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

The San Jacinto Lung Association records include correspondence, legal documents, budgets, tuberculosis statistics, committee reports and minutes, printed materials, scrapbooks, articles, christmas seals, and photographs that document the history, community services, staff and administration of the San Jacinto Lung Association. Most notably, the collection highlights the organization’s public health programs to prevent and control tuberculosis as well as its Christmas Seal fundraising campaigns.

The materials are arranged in three series: Organization Records (1911-1993), Photographs (1895-1969), and Scrapbooks (1924-1974). The collection equals 13 cubic feet (12 document and oversize boxes).The materials are in fair condition. Some items were damaged or lost during the flood caused by Tropical Storm Allison in 2001.

System of arrangement

This collection is arranged into the following series.
Series I: Organization Records, 1911-1993
Series II: Photographs, 1895-1969
Series III: Scrapbooks, 1937-1974

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

No access restrictions. Open for research.

Physical access

Materials are in good condition.

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce should be secured from the repository.

Languages of the material

  • English

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Yes.

Generated finding aid

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Materials were donated to the archive by the San Jacinto Lung Association in June 1979. This record group was received in two batches about 6 months apart in 1979 from the San Jacinto Lung Association.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Accruals are not expected for this collection.

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Scrapbooks placed in oversize section.

Notes element

General note

Specialized notes

  • Citation: San Jacinto Lung Association records, IC 034; John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library. Please cite the box and folder numbers where appropriate.
  • Processing information: Papers that appeared related have been grouped into folders by the Special Collections Librarian. The gifts appeared to have no set order, except for the papers of Dr. Jenkins.
  • Processing information: 2016, photographs originally donated by San Jacinto Lung Association were transferred from IC 098 TMC Library Historical Photograph Collection and incorporated into the records as a photograph series. The images were previously cataloged and housed in acid-free envelopes. At that time, a photo identification number (P-### for prints or N-### for negatives) was assigned to each photograph or group of photographs. The descriptions provided on the catalog cards were written on the envelope and inventoried. Items order by identification number (P-####).

Alternative identifier(s)

TARO

00091

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Finding aid based on DACS ( Describing Archives: A Content Standard).

Sources used

Archivist's note

Finding aid prepared by Judy Okkema and Elizabeth Borst White, 1980.

Archivist's note

Revision by Trevor McNally, 2016.

Archivist's note

Revision and encoding by Sandra Yates, 2016.

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Digital object metadata

Latitude

29.7604

Longitude

95.3698

Media type

Text

Mime-type

application/pdf

Filesize

358.3 KiB

Uploaded

December 5, 2019 2:35 PM

Digital object (External URI) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area