Aperçu avant impression Fermer

Affichage de 33 résultats

Description archivistique
Baylor College of Medicine
Aperçu avant impression Hierarchy Affichage :

21 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

Interview with Colonel William B. Bates, Part 2 of 3

Col. William B. Bates, Part 2 of 3. Interviewed by Don Macon. Col. Bates discusses some of his experiences as district attorney in three East Texas counties shortly after World War I. These include bootleggers and members of the Klu Klux Klan. In later 1922, he traveled to Houston seeking a connection to further his career in law. He joined the firm of Fulbright & Crooker on January 1, 1923. Mr. John Freeman became a partner in the firm, as did Col. Bates. Col. Bates worked closely with members of the Anderson-Clayton firm for many years. He tells of his association with Mr. M. D. Anderson and the eventual establishment of the M. D. Anderson Foundation. Col. Bates relates the story of the planning and implementation of the state cancer research hospital, its temporary quarters in the Baker estate, the concept of a Texas Medical Center and acquisition of its land, the move of Baylor College of Medicine from Dallas to Houston, the permanent structure for the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Research Institute, the University of Texas Dental Branch, and other institutions in the medical center. (MDAH Master #29-1-73)

Bates, William B., 1889-1974

Interview with Earl C. Hankamer

Earl C. Hankamer. Interview by Don Macon. Mr. Hankamer, member of the boards of Baylor College of Medicine and TMC, Inc., reviews his early life in Turtle Bayou, now Hankamer, Texas. He recalls his business endeavors in the mercantile and oil business and tells how material success has enabled him to serve his fellow man. He played a principle role in bringing Baylor College of medicine to the Texas Medical Center. He tells of this historical move and speaks with pride of his family, his church and his involvement through the years with Baylor University. 9/19/1973. MDAH Master #41-2-73. 27:30

Hankamer, Earl Curtis, 1892-1980

Interview with Leopold L. Meyer

Leopold L. Meyer. Interview by Don Macon. Former President of the Board of Texas Children's Hospital, Mr. Meyer discusses his personal history and his roots in Galveston. He relates his merchandising and his contributions to retail credit methods. He talks about his work with carious civic organizations such as the Community Chest, Peace Officers Awards, Houston Council for Retarded Children, as well as his significant efforts directed toward Baylor, Methodist, St. Luke's and Texas Children's Hospitals. MDAH Master #69-1-73. 11/20/1973/ 37:10

Meyer, Leopold L.

Interview with Stanley W. Olson, MD

Stanely W. Olson, MD. Interview by Don Macon. Dr. Olson, Dean of Baylor College of Medicine from 1953-1966, discusses his personal history as well as his educational and professional background with the Mayo Foundation. He also served as Dean of the University of Illinois College of Medicine and Medical Director of the University of Illinois Research and Educational Hospital. He recalls coming to Houston as the new Dean of Baylor and gives his perspective for the future of the Texas Medical Center. MDAH Master #681-1-73. 11/9/1973. 32:00

Olson, Stanely W.

Interview with Josie M. Roberts

Josie M. Roberts. Interview by Don Macon. Mrs. Roberts discusses her many years as administrator of Methodist Hospital, beginning in 1925. She gives a history of the hospital from its original location on San Jacinto & Rosalie through its move to the TMC and its growth after the initial building was completed. She discusses the hospital's affiliation with Baylor College of Medicine. She recalls her close association with Mr. & Mrs. W. W. Fondren, Mr. Ted Bowen and others significant in Methodist Hospital's growth. MDAH Master #93-1-74. 3/29/1974. 28:00

Roberts, Josephine K. Mooring (Josie), 1891-1984

Baylor College of Medicine records

  • IC 006
  • Collection
  • 1904-2005

Baylor College of Medicine records consists of curriculum guides, student handbooks, bulletins, catalogs, departmental reports, publications, directories, faculty rosters, pictorial rosters, alumni directories and newsletters, commencement programs, and yearbooks for Baylor College of Medicine, ranging from 1904 to 2005.

Baylor College of Medicine

Methodist Hospital records

  • IC 020
  • Collection
  • 1925-1996

The Methodist Hospital records contains materials from the Methodist Hospital and the Bluebird Circle covering the years from the 1940s into the 1990s. The materials are generally in good condition. Materials include newsletters, news clippings, minutes, press releases, article drafts, scrapbooks, general historical information, photographs, sound recordings, and brochures. The Methodist Hospital History Project is included in this collection but was donated complete and has its own inventory.

Subjects: Methodist Hospital, hospitals.

Methodist Hospital (Houston, Tex.)

Harris County Academy of General Practice records

  • IC 052
  • Collection
  • 1949-1966

The Harris County Association of General Practice is a component branch of the American Academy of General Practice and the Texas Chapter of the American Academy of General Practice. Through the diligent efforts of Dr. Lyman C. Blair and others a charter was issued on July 23rd, 1948, thereby establishing the Harris County Chapter.

The collection documents the history of a local medical association and to some extent the attitudes with the field of general practice.

Harris County Academy of General Practice

Children's Nutrition Research Center records

  • IC 066
  • Collection
  • 1981-1996

The Children's Nutrition Research Center records contains annual Reports, Nutrition & Your Child, CNRC news July/August 1996, Nutrition for the Future, Advances in Research 1991, Facility Feasibility Study, and Brochures.

Subjects: Nutrition

Children's Nutrition Research Center

Baylor College of Medicine Cullen Eye Institute Images records

  • IC 095
  • Collection
  • 1923-1965

The Baylor College of Medicine Cullen Eye Institute images consists of two images. One image is a painting, printed facsimile on canvas, in a frame of Ray Kay Daily, MD. The second is a photo of the Baylor College of Medicine building in the Texas Medical Center taken about 1965.

The portrait within the frame measures 17.5 inches by 26 inches. The frame measures 37.5 inches by 28.5 inches. The portrait is signed but the signature is unintelligible. The portrait depicts Dr. Daily in youthful middle age with her left shoulder toward the viewer and the left profile of her face visible. Her dark hair is swept up and her left shoulder is bare. According to her son Dr. Lewis Daily, the portrait was painted in Berlin in 1923 by a renowned portrait painter. The name of the artist on the right corner of the painting is illegible. Dr. Daily was born March 16, 1891 and died November 28, 1975. According to the Handbook of Texas, Dr. Daily was an eye surgeon and author and was one of the first women to graduate from a Texas medical school. She played a prominent role in public education in Houston and was a leading physician and teacher in Houston hospitals and at Baylor College of Medicine.

Subjects: Baylor College of Medicine, Cullen Eye Institute, Women in medicine, Ray K. Daily MD

Baylor College of Medicine Cullen Eye Institute

TMC Library Historical Photograph Collection

  • IC 098
  • Collection
  • 1543-2004

The TMC Library Historical Photograph Collection contains photographs, negatives, slides, published prints, printed materials, postcards, framed images, audiovisual materials, and a plaque. The collection consists of roughly 5300 items, which includes individual 35mm slides, 35mm negatives, 120 format negatives, photographic prints, and other printed materials. This is an artificial collection of several types of images collected by or donated to the McGovern Historical Center (MHC) through the years. The bulk of the materials date from 1940 to 1990. The entire collection depicts images from 1543 to 2004. The earliest date is related to copy photographs of pages from the 1543 edition of the Fabrica by Andreas Vesalius. Other early dates are framed prints of well-known medical pioneers from the 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries. Some dates describe the date of the copy photograph others describe the date of the original image. The collection illustrates the history of medicine around the world and more acutely the Texas Medical Center and Texas Medical Center Library. Majority of the materials have been removed from this collection and incorporated into the original collections or new collections based on the donor records.

The collection is arranged into three series: Cataloged Photographs, Subject Photographs, and Oversize and Audiovisual Materials. Subject Photographs are arranged in files according to subject and then in alphabetical order. Subject terms used are as follows (in order): Attractions Photos, Building Photos, Event Photos, Individual Photos, Institutions and Organizations, Medical Equipment and Apparatus, and Surgical, Anatomical, and Medical Photos.

The collection was created to consolidate various photographs and images collected by the archive staff. Many were cataloged and assigned identification numbers (P-### for prints or N-### for negatives). These photographs were originally donated. The donor information in the card catalog was used to either create new photograph collections or incorporate into existing collections. This collection is comprised of the remaining items. Information about donors, if known, is available in the inventory. Uncataloged photographs were organized into general subjects and kept in alphabetical order. Oversize materials maintain the same identification number system and subjects. To increase discoverability of all archival materials, the collection was expanded to include materials with no known provenance. This includes framed items stored in the Garment Artifacts and Framed (GAF) section as well as audiovisual materials.

John P. McGovern Historical Collections & Research Center

Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection

  • IC 104
  • Collection
  • 1938-1982

The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection contains photographic materials that document the growth and development of the TMC from the 1930s to 1980s. The collection consists of 2525 items and includes photographic prints, aerial photographs, negatives, transparencies and printed materials. The materials depict the institutions of the TMC, their staff, facilities, services, and patient care. Images show buildings and their construction as well as some photographic copies of architectural renderings. Aerial photographs from the 1940s to 1980s show the TMC grow from marshland to an urban center. The collection provides images of the leaders and historical figures that shaped the TMC from concept to reality. The collection totals 7 boxes, equaling 3.5 cubic feet. The materials are in good condition.

Texas Medical Center

Dr. Michael DeBakey

Dr. Michael E. Debakey, President of Baylor College of Medicine and Director of the Cardiovascular Research and Training Center at Methodist Hospital, pauses to check vital signs of a patient undergoing open heart surgery.

Texas Medical Center aerial

Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking south. Hermann Hospital and the Hermann Professional Building are in the foreground, with Baylor College of Medicine, M. D. Anderson Hospital, and Methodist Hospital visible further back. The area behind the hospitals remains wooded.

Dorsey, Paul

Texas Medical Center aerial

Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking northwest. Baylor College of Medicine is in the foreground, with Hermann Hospital, and the Hermann Professional Building behind it. Rice University is also visible in the background. Much of the surrounding area remains wooded.