Showing 70 results

Archival description
Bertner, Ernst William
Print preview Hierarchy View:

58 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Phonograph Record. Passing in Review, M. D. Anderson Hospital Blood Bank, 1946

"Passing in Review" is a radio program that aired on KPRC radio in Houston, Texas. First half of this episode provides a narrative of the process of donating blood to the M. D. Anderson Hospital Blood Bank. The second half of the episode has Dr. E. W. Bertner - acting director of M. D. Anderson Hospital - and first president of the Texas Medical Center - advocates for donating blood and cancer research. [E. W. Bertner, MD papers, MS002, Texas Medical Center Library, McGovern Historical Center]

Phonograph Record. Dr. E. W. Bertner Addresses the 4th Symposium of Cancer Research, 1950

Dr. E. W. Bertner Addresses the 4th Symposium of Cancer Research. Dr. Bertner is the guest of honor for M. D. Anderson Hospital 4th Symposium of Cancer Research in 1950. He addressed the meeting remotely from his residence in the Rice Hotel, Houston, Texas. [E. W. Bertner, MD papers, MS002, Texas Medical Center Library, McGovern Historical Center]

Interview with W. Leland Anderson

W. Leland Anderson. Interviewed by Don Macon. Mr. Anderson, President of the Board of TMC, Inc., discusses the Anderson Clayton Company and the family relationship with the founders. He talks about his uncle, Mr. M. D. Anderson, Dr. E. W. Bertner and the trustees of the M. D. Anderson Foundation. He discusses the evolution of the Texas Medical Center and the formation of the TMC, Inc., defining the function of its Board of Directors. (MDAH Master #64-1-73)

Anderson, W. Leland

Interview with Colonel William B. Bates, Part 3 of 3

Col. William B. Bates, Part 3 of 3. Interviewed by Don Macon. Col. Bates discusses further the relationships of the M. D. Anderson Foundation and the institutions in the Texas Medical Center. He speaks of Dr. E. W. Bertner and Dr. R. Lee Clark. Col. Bates then turns to his interest in education and Texas History. He describes the evolution of the University of Houston and his participation in the San Jacinto historical Association. A discussion of the involvement of the Houston Chamber of Commerce in the development of the Texas Medical Center concludes the series. (MDAH Master #30-1-73)

Bates, William B., 1889-1974

Interview with Jared E. Clarke, MD

Jared E. Clarke, MD. Interview by Don Macon. Dr. Clarke, long time Houston physician, discusses his personal family history and his interest in medicine due to physicians in his family. He discusses his education and noted that he knew Dr. Bertner at the University of Texas Medical branch in Galveston although he was two years behind him, graduating in 1913. Dr. Clarke spoke of the hospital facilities in Houston after his return from World War I and the services of doctors prior to the era of the founding and development of the Texas medical Center. Dr. Clarke talked about the founding of the Houston Academy of Medicine and the beginnings of the library now housed in the Jesse H. Jones - TMC Library building. 2/11/1974, 43min, Color-sound (MDAH Master #83-1-74).

Clarke, Jared E.

Interview with Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Part 2 of 5

Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Interview, Part 2 of 5, U-matic Tape, Master. 1932-1943. Interviewed by Don Macon. Video recorded 7/23/1973. Produced for the Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project. Part 2 of this series covers Dr. Elliott's activities from 1932, when he became Dean of the Texas Dental College, until 1943 when the school was brought into the University of Texas System as the Dental Branch in Houston. The Texas Dental College faced financial problems. The faculty was primarily composed of part time staff. Dr. Elliott went to work to improve teaching methods, recruit student and patients for the clinic. Dr. Elliott served on numerous health committees such as the Houston Board of Health and the Public health Commission of the Houston Chamber of Commerce. The image of the Texas Dental College changed from a place that only trained dentists to a health education and awareness institution. During these years Dr. Elliott met Col. William B. Bates who was Chairman of the School Board and Dr. E. W. Bertner who also served on the Houston Board of Health. Efforts to make the Texas Dental College a state school were revived in 1939. House Bill #278 was passed in 1943, and the University of Texas Dental Branch came into being on September 1st. of that year.

Elliott, Frederick C.

Interview with Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Part 3 of 5

Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Interview, Part 3 of 5, U-matic Tape, Master. 1943-1953. Interviewed by Don Macon. Video Tape Recorded 7/25/1973. Approximately 30min. MDAH Master # 38-1-73. Produced for Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project. Part 3 begins with a review of material that has gone before. Dr. Elliott discusses the study made by a committee appointed by the University of Texas Board of Regents to recommend locations of the Univeristy of Texas Health Units. He describes the planning and construction of a new building to house the Dental Branch at Houston. Dr. Elliott discusses this association during these years with Dr. E.W. Bertner, Col. William B. Bates, Mr. John Freeman and Dr. R. Lee Clark. He gives insight to the man, Dr. E. W. Bertner, and touches briefly on his tragic illness and death. In 1954 Dr. Elliott was asked to become Executive Director of the Texas Medical Center, Inc. Dr. Elliot tells of his decision to leave the dental school to head a busy medical center that was in the midst of active development.

Elliott, Frederick C.

Interview with Julia Williams Bertner Naylor

Julia Williams Bertner Naylor. Interview by Don Macon. Mrs. Naylor discusses elements of her personal history, her marriage to Dr. E. W. Bertner in 1922, their home at the Rice Hotel for 28 years and their leisure homes at Lake Jackson and the farm near Hempstead. She talks about Dr. Bertner's background, his family history, his education, and his close association with members of the MD Anderson Foundation and others instrumental in the founding and development of the Texas Medical Center. MDAH Master #60-1-73. 10/4/1973. 32:00

Naylor, Julia Williams Bertner

Interview with Robert A. Shepherd

Mr. Robert A. Shepherd. interviewed by Don Macon. 2/12/1974. 57min. MDAH Master #84-1-74. Mr. Shepherd, long time attorney with Vinson & Elkins, joined the board of Methodist Hospital in 1943, and served as their legal counsel for many years. Mr. Shepherd discussed his personal family history as residents of Huntsville and later Colorado City, Texas where he was acquainted with the Gus Bertner family and a friend of Bill Bertner. He spoke of his entrance into law school at the Universty of Texas, his military service which interrupted his education, and his studies after the war in the law office of his father, Judge James L. Shepherd. He noted that he was sworn in to the bar on his 27th birthday, 7/7/1921. He gives a history of the Methodist Hospital as well as of the Texas Medical Center. He tells of his roles as board member of Methodist and as their legal representative.

Shepherd, Robert A.

Interview with Dr. David A. Wood

Dr. David A. Wood. Interviewed by Don Macon. Video recorded 9/25/1975. Approx. 30min. Color-Sound. MDAH Master #401-1-75. Produced for The University of Texas - Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project. Dr. Wood briefly discussed his early history from his birth near the River of Lost Souls, in New Mexico through events that led to his interest n Pathology. He spoke of his wife who is a RN and his five children, one of whom is a MD, another who is interested in academic medicine. Sketching his career, Dr. Woods provided information about the American Cancer Society. He also talked about Dr. E. W. Bertner, Dr. R. Lee Clark, Dr. Murray Copeland, Dr. Grant Taylor, and Senator Frank Church. Dr. Wood emphasizes that the cancer story is a message of hope.

Wood, David A.

Texas Medical Center records

  • IC 002
  • Collection
  • 1907-2019

The Texas Medical Center records include TMC charter material, correspondence, committee minutes, interviews and transcripts, photographs and slides, budgetary information, newspapers and clippings, research material for books, surveys, materials related to TMC events and visitors, films and audiocassettes, brochures, architectural renderings, guidebooks and directories, and maps. The materials date from the 1900s to the present. The collection also includes the papers of Mary Schiflett who held leadership positions in the TMC from 1970-2009. The collection has been processed at box and folder level. The material is generally in good condition and consists of 39 cubic feet totaling 93 boxes.

Texas Medical Center

Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project records

  • IC 084
  • Collection
  • 1973-1991

The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Historical Resources Project records contain video oral histories of notable personalities associated with the TMC. The initial group of interviews focuses on individuals involved in the founding or early days of the TMC. Later “video profiles” also include significant visitors to the TMC. Several of these feature national and international figures in cancer research on their visits to Houston. In total the collection features thirty-eight individuals.

Don Macon, Director of the TMC Historical Resources Project, serves as interviewer in all but one of the recordings. They are all staged as one-on-one conversations, with the exception of his interview of Isaac Berenblum and Philippe Shubik. A typical interview begins with some biographical information about the interviewee, followed by accounts of their involvement with the Texas Medical Center. They each tend to be approximately 30-60 minutes long; the shortest interview is about 18 minutes, with the longest being 2 hours and 18 minutes.

The bulk of the interviews took place from 1973-1978. There are also interviews from 1982, 1988, and 1991. Most if not all of the interviews were recorded in the studio at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.

The conversations with thirty-eight different interviewees are spread across nearly one hundred tapes. Some interviews are divided into multiple segments, while many tapes are duplications.

This videotapes are primarily 3/4" U-Matic with some VHS. There are many original master recordings, as well as duplicates on a variety of media--including a dozen interviews transferred to DVDs. Transcripts have been created for some of the interviews.

Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project

Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection

  • IC 104
  • Collection
  • 1938-1982

The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection contains photographic materials that document the growth and development of the TMC from the 1930s to 1980s. The collection consists of 2525 items and includes photographic prints, aerial photographs, negatives, transparencies and printed materials. The materials depict the institutions of the TMC, their staff, facilities, services, and patient care. Images show buildings and their construction as well as some photographic copies of architectural renderings. Aerial photographs from the 1940s to 1980s show the TMC grow from marshland to an urban center. The collection provides images of the leaders and historical figures that shaped the TMC from concept to reality. The collection totals 7 boxes, equaling 3.5 cubic feet. The materials are in good condition.

Texas Medical Center

Texas Children's Hospital site Inspection

Texas Children's Hospital Foundation Trustees inspecting the site of the Children's Hospital and Research Institute in the Texas Medical Center. Left to right: Dr. John K. Glen; Dr. E. W. Bertner, President of the Texas Medical Center; Dr. David Greer, President of the Children's Foundation; Leopold L. Meyer, Treasurer of the Children's Foundation.

E. W. Bertner and Texas Children's Foundation Trustees

Texas Children's Hospital Foundation Trustees inspecting the site of the Children's Hospital and Research Institute in the Texas Medical Center, November 9, 1947. Left to right: Dr. David Greer, President of the Children's Foundation; Nina J. Cullinan; Dr. John K. Glen; Dr. E. W. Bertner, President of the Texas Medical Center; D Leopold L. Meyer, Treasurer of the Children's Foundation; Dr. George W. Salmon; and Dr. A. Lane Mitchell.

Ernst William Bertner, MD papers

  • MS 002
  • Collection
  • 1908-1978

The Ernst W. Bertner, MD papers (MS002) is 6.5 cubic feet and consists of seven documents boxes and two oversize boxes. It contains biographical information, personal and professional correspondence, speeches, certificates, official appointments, newsclippings, scrapbooks, photographs, audiovisual materials, and realia that detail the personal life, professional activities, and leadership of Dr. Ernst W. Bertner in Houston and the Texas Medical Center. The materials are in good condition.

Bertner, Ernst William

William D. Seybold, MD papers

  • MS 004
  • Collection
  • 1890-1983

The papers of Dr. Seybold are made up primarily of office files, correspondence and memoranda, newsclippings, articles, committee meeting minutes and reports; the working files of a prominent Houston physician who at one time or another served as chief of staff at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, partner and chief of staff of the KelseySeybold Clinic, president of the Texas Surgical Society, member of the University of Texas Committee of 75 and the Centennial Commission. They document his career from late in his surgical residency to his retirement from private practice in 1979.

The 82 boxes occupy 52 cubic feet. A large portion of the collection is a record of Dr. Seybold's professional involvement with the Clinic, hospitals and medical organizations. It has been retained in much the same order in which it was received, arranged alphabetically where applicable and arranged chronologically where possible within the series and within the files. Removed from the collection and redistributed in the library as needed were a sizeable number of journals and newsletters. Also removed from the collection and placed in the Historical Research Center Photograph Collection were many photographs, where they were indexed and cataloged. Duplicates of reports and reprints already in the collection were discarded.

Subjects: Surgery

Seybold, William Dempsey

R. Lee Clark, MD papers

  • MS 070
  • Collection
  • 1929-1985

Lee Clark’s personal papers, Series I, contain financial documents, family correspondence from relatives throughout Texas, lists of purchases including various cars, information on houses and repairs, ideas for his ranch and considerations about other land purchases.

Lee Clark received his M.D. from the Medical School of Virginia. He served as Chief Resident at the American Hospital in Paris, France and was a Fellow at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

Before coming to M.D. Anderson, Dr. Clark was Director of Surgical Research within the United States Air Force at Randolph Field, San Antonio, Texas. Drafts of Clark’s Surgical History of the Army Air Forces are located in Series II.

Dr. R. Lee Clark collected papers from many sources, envisioning the historical importance, not only of his personal papers, but of items related to University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, the Texas Medical Center, various University of Texas medical schools, and many national and international cancer organizations. A series of historical papers, in addition to folders labeled “Inactive”, “to 1956”, or “to 1959”, provide witness to the early growth of M.D. Anderson Hospital and Houston’s medical community. Dr. Clark also kept the minutes of many meetings of the University of Texas Board of Regents, as he was dependent on funding from the state to furnish resources necessary for M.D. Anderson Hospital. Newspaper clippings document Clark’s leadership at M.D. Anderson and the growth of cancer treatment and care, both within the state of Texas and throughout the world. He was Directing Medical Editor of the Medical Arts Publishing Foundation that published The Heart Bulletin, The Cancer Bulletin, The Psychiatric Bulletin, and Medical Record and Annals, as well as co-editor of The Book of Health and The Year Book of Cancer.

Dr. Clark held positions of authority in a number of national and international organizations. Correspondence and meeting minutes show that he was a dynamic force in the formation of several branches of the Union International Contre le Cancer, notably the Committee for International Collaborative Activities and the Association of American Cancer Institutes. UICC was a world-wide effort to more successfully track and treat the causes of cancer. The American Cancer Society also benefited from Clark’s vision and energy, as did the Cancer Committee of the American College of Surgeons. Meeting minutes from several committees document activities within those organizations. He served on the boards of directors of the Damon Runyon/Walter Winchell and Hogg Foundations. After retirement from M.D. Anderson, he served as a consultant for Robert Douglass Associates, assisting with site visits and forward planning for cancer hospitals.

Photographs of M.D. Anderson Hospital buildings, colleagues, and many organizational meetings are held in Series XIII, as well as in other parts of the collection.

Memorabilia and realia, as well as a series on professional travel, attest to the scope of Dr. Clark’s career.

Clark, Randolph Lee, 1906-

Frederick C. Elliott, DDS papers

  • MS 071
  • Collection
  • 1896-1987

The Dr. Frederick C. Elliott Papers document Dr. Elliot's leadership roles in the University of Texas Dental Branch and Texas Medical Center, as well as other aspects of his career and personal life. It includes his manuscript on the History of the Texas Medical Center, along with recorded interviews and transcripts.

The collection documents Dr. Elliott's career through committee and administrative reports, correspondence, legal papers, and legislative material. Also included are scrapbooks, personal memos, manuscripts, photographs, and audio tapes. There are copies of a number of Dr. Elliot's speeches, as well as materials relating to honors he received.

Elliott, Frederick C.

Texas Medical Center Dedicatory Dinner Menu and Program

Texas Medical Center Dedicatory Dinner Menu and Program, also featuring a map of the Texas Medical Center. Program includes Invocation by Rev. T. P. O'Rourke; Purposes and Influences of Medical Centers by Dr. Raymond B. Allen; Texas Medical Center, Its History to Date by George A. Hill, Jr.; Presentation of the Title to Texas Medical Center Property by M. D. Anderson Foundation; Texas Medical Center, Its Future by Dr. E. C. Bertner [sic]; Benediction by Dr. Allen Green; and Music by String Ensemble, Houston Symphony Orchestra.

Texas Medical Center

Correspondence; Personal; 1922-1949

This folder contains personal correspondence between E. W. Bertner and others. It includes a letter to E. W. Bertner from his father Gus Bertner, on the subject of Dr. Bertner going to France during World War I.

Bertner, Ernst William