Imprimir vista previa Cerrar

Mostrando 5 resultados

Descripción archivística
Bates, William B., 1889-1974 Unidad documental compuesta
Imprimir vista previa Hierarchy Ver :

3 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales

Jesse H. Jones Library Groundbreaking, original footage, color

This 16mm color film is an original with no sound. It records the groundbreaking ceremony of an expansion to the Jesse H. Jones Library, home of the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, on May 25, 1973. The film opens with a very brief shot of three men seated in chairs conversing. The men may be Dr. Frederick C. Elliott, William B. Bates, and W. Leland Anderson. Beyond them stands the Library, a podium, an easel, and ceremonial shovels in the ground.
(0:04) The film cuts to TMC President Richard T. Eastwood speaking at the podium in front of the Library.
(0:13) The film focuses on the ceremonial shovels in the disturbed earth, before panning out to show Eastwood, the seated audience, the Library exterior, and the easel with an image, presumably of the Library expansion.
(0:29) In this segment a new, unidentified speaker is at the podium.
(1:02) Another unidentified man speaks at the podium.
(1:12) The film cuts to Eastwood and two other men with the shovels for the ceremonial groundbreaking.
(1:29) William Bates and two other men then use the shoves to continue breaking ground.
(1:54) A group of other men then take their turns breaking ground.
(2:38) A different group of men take their turns with the shovels.
(2:55) Frederick Elliott shovels dirt alongside Richard Eastwood and another man as William Bates and another man look on.
(3:06) The film cuts to a bulldozer beginning to tear up the turf.
(3:40) Three unidentified men break ground with the shovels.
(3:49) In a segment shot from behind the podium, the camera pans across the greenspace where the event was held as people walk around.
Note: This workprint corresponds to the original film AVF-IC002-008. The two appear to be identical, save for a slight difference in timing.

Sin título

Jesse H. Jones Library Groundbreaking, workprint, color

This 16mm color film is a workprint with no sound. It records the groundbreaking ceremony of an expansion to the Jesse H. Jones Library, home of the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, on May 25, 1973. The film opens with a very brief shot of three men seated in chairs conversing. The men may be Dr. Frederick C. Elliott, William B. Bates, and W. Leland Anderson. Beyond them stands the Library, a podium, an easel, and ceremonial shovels in the ground.
(0:04) The film cuts to TMC President Richard T. Eastwood speaking at the podium in front of the Library.
(0:13) The film focuses on the ceremonial shovels in the disturbed earth, before panning out to show Eastwood, the seated audience, the Library exterior, and the easel with an image, presumably of the Library expansion.
(0:29) In this segment a new, unidentified speaker is at the podium.
(1:02) Another unidentified man speaks at the podium.
(1:12) The film cuts to Eastwood and two other men with the shovels for the ceremonial groundbreaking.
(1:29) William Bates and two other men use the shoves to continue breaking ground.
(1:54) A group of other men take their turns breaking ground.
(2:38) A different group of men take their turns with the shovels.
(2:55) Frederick Elliott shovels dirt alongside Richard Eastwood and another man as William Bates and another man look on.
(3:06) The film cuts to a bulldozer beginning to tear up the turf.
(3:40) Three unidentified men break ground with the shovels.
(3:49) In a segment shot from behind the podium, the camera pans across the greenspace where the event was held as people walk around.
Note: This workprint corresponds to the original film AVF-IC002-008. The two appear to be identical, save for a slight difference in timing.

Sin título

Conversations with the Past: "Development of the Texas Medical Center" by Dr. William Seybold

This 3/4” U-Matic tape contains a lecture titled "Development of the Texas Medical Center " by Dr. William Seybold. The lecture took place April 30, 1980, and it was a part of the series “Conversations with the Past.” The recording runs 31:31 with about 30 minutes of lecture content. According to the credits, it was a Medical Community Television System Production. The recording is a duplication, in color.
(0:01) The recording begins with color bars.
(0:16) Program begins with TMC Librarian Beth White at a podium introducing Dr. William Seybold, recently retired.
(0:58) Dr. Seybold comes to the podium and begins his talk.
(2:53) Beginnings of the TMC. “In the beginning there was a dream.” Almost 40 years ago. Monroe D. Anderson, Colonel W. B Bates, John H. Freeman, Arthur Cato, Dean John W. Spies, Dr. E. W. Bertner, Dr. Frederick C. Elliott.
(5:04) Monroe D. Anderson of Anderson Clayton Company. William Bates and John Freeman helped establish the Anderson Foundation.
(7:32) Anderson died, and the Foundation was chief beneficiary. Horace Wilkins was a new trustee.
(8:55) Texas Legislature authorized a state cancer hospital in 1941. Cato, Bertner, and Spies had all been interested in a cancer hospital. Various organizations supported.
(12:18) Trustees of the Anderson Foundation met with University of Texas officials. Agreement to locate the cancer hospital in Houston. Foundation offered temporary facilities and matching funds.
(13:03) Dr. Bertner was appointed Acting Director. Land was acquired from the City of Houston, but construction had to wait until after the war. Drs. Bertner and Elliot articulated plans for a medical center.
(15:20) In 1943 the private Dental College in Houston becomes part of the University of Texas and got a site in the medical center. Bertner and Elliott envisioned Schools of Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health, as well as hospitals.
(15:55) Hermann Hospital, Methodist Hospital, a children’s hospital, a tuberculosis hospital, and perhaps others.
(16:23) Baylor College of Medicine decided to leave Dallas. Trustees of Baylor and Trustees of the Anderson Foundation made arrangements to bring the school to Houston.
(18:44) Advancement of the Medical Center after World War II. Texas Medical Center, Inc. chartered and Dr. Bertner elected President. The Anderson Foundation provided land and funds to TMC entities. Support also came from the Cullens and the Chamber of Commerce.
(21:30) Dr. Bertner’s vision for the Medical Center, including his speech to the Kiwanis.
(23:07) Dr. Seybold contends the war had established public support for medical research.
(24:18) Dr. R. Lee Clark, Jr.’s appointment as Director of M. D. Anderson Hospital for Cancer Research in 1946. The opening of Baylor’s new building in 1948. The appointment of Dr. Michael DeBakey as Head of Department of Surgery. In 1950, the construction of the new Methodist Hospital. The appointment of Leland Anderson to lead the Medical Center Board. In 1952, Dr. Elliot named Vice-President and Executive Director of the Medical Center.
(26:37) Dr. Seybold offers information from the Texas Medical Center’s 1979 Annual Report. In conclusion, he reflects on its future.

Sin título

Texas Medical Center "Visions" U-matic (3/4”)

This ¾” U-Matic tape contains a 1985 program about the Texas Medical Center. The cassette case is labeled "Visions," while the program concludes with the words, “Visions Fulfilled….” It was produced by UT-TV Houston, Executive Director N. Don Macon, Production Supervisor Greg West, Producer/Writer Carla Diebold, Photographer/Editor Daniel Blust, Copyright 1985 Texas Medical Center. The recording runs 8:12, although the content stops around the 7:31 mark.
(0:03) Introductory sequence featuring a montage of TMC images.
(0:28) Narration begins introducing the TMC.
(0:50) The program features historical images and recounts the genesis of the Texas Medical Center. The narrator tells of Monroe Anderson’s fortune and the vision of trustees John Freeman, Horace Wilkins, and William Bates for a Medical Center.
(1:23) Interview with John Freeman, who discusses the acquisitions of land, establishment of institutions, and granting of funds.
(1:38) Discussions of financial support from Houston and elsewhere.
(2:14) November 1, 1945 TMC chartered.
(2:38) Historical images give way to contemporary images as the narration continues. The video prominently features images of buildings, facilities, and technology.
(3:05) The TMC includes 33 institutions. There is a focus on technology and medical advances, highlighting areas like immunology and curing cancer.
(4:32) The program highlights heart surgeries, research, and new techniques.
(5:00) Showing images of children, patients, and technology, the program looks towards the future. The narrator highlights further advances, patient education, and technology and communication.
(6:13) The program concludes by returning the interview with John Freeman.

Sin título