Part of Texas Medical Center records
Part of Texas Medical Center records
Part of William B. Bates papers
The Sharon Ostwald, RN papers consists of 12 boxes equaling 12 cubic feet, and 3 plaques. The Sharon Ostwald, RN, collection includes photographs, school records from childhood through college, theses and dissertations, autobiographical information, awards, research and publications, procedural material, nursing garments and academic robes, media presentations on DVD, and interviews.
The TWU Historical Research in Nursing Class Japan papers contains assigned journals written by graduate nursing students of their experiences while in Hiroshima, Japan as part of a Texas Women’s University class titled Historical Research in Nursing. The class traveled to Japan in October 2014.
Subjects: Hiroshima, nursing, ABCC, Texas Woman's University, Nursing History
TWU Historical Research in Nursing
The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection contains photographic materials that document the growth and development of the TMC from the 1930s to 1980s. The collection consists of 2525 items and includes photographic prints, aerial photographs, negatives, transparencies and printed materials. The materials depict the institutions of the TMC, their staff, facilities, services, and patient care. Images show buildings and their construction as well as some photographic copies of architectural renderings. Aerial photographs from the 1940s to 1980s show the TMC grow from marshland to an urban center. The collection provides images of the leaders and historical figures that shaped the TMC from concept to reality. The collection totals 7 boxes, equaling 3.5 cubic feet. The materials are in good condition.
Texas Medical Center
The TMC Library Historical Photograph Collection contains photographs, negatives, slides, published prints, printed materials, postcards, framed images, audiovisual materials, and a plaque. The collection consists of roughly 5300 items, which includes individual 35mm slides, 35mm negatives, 120 format negatives, photographic prints, and other printed materials. This is an artificial collection of several types of images collected by or donated to the McGovern Historical Center (MHC) through the years. The bulk of the materials date from 1940 to 1990. The entire collection depicts images from 1543 to 2004. The earliest date is related to copy photographs of pages from the 1543 edition of the Fabrica by Andreas Vesalius. Other early dates are framed prints of well-known medical pioneers from the 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries. Some dates describe the date of the copy photograph others describe the date of the original image. The collection illustrates the history of medicine around the world and more acutely the Texas Medical Center and Texas Medical Center Library. Majority of the materials have been removed from this collection and incorporated into the original collections or new collections based on the donor records.
The collection is arranged into three series: Cataloged Photographs, Subject Photographs, and Oversize and Audiovisual Materials. Subject Photographs are arranged in files according to subject and then in alphabetical order. Subject terms used are as follows (in order): Attractions Photos, Building Photos, Event Photos, Individual Photos, Institutions and Organizations, Medical Equipment and Apparatus, and Surgical, Anatomical, and Medical Photos.
The collection was created to consolidate various photographs and images collected by the archive staff. Many were cataloged and assigned identification numbers (P-### for prints or N-### for negatives). These photographs were originally donated. The donor information in the card catalog was used to either create new photograph collections or incorporate into existing collections. This collection is comprised of the remaining items. Information about donors, if known, is available in the inventory. Uncataloged photographs were organized into general subjects and kept in alphabetical order. Oversize materials maintain the same identification number system and subjects. To increase discoverability of all archival materials, the collection was expanded to include materials with no known provenance. This includes framed items stored in the Garment Artifacts and Framed (GAF) section as well as audiovisual materials.
John P. McGovern Historical Collections & Research Center
The Beta Beta Houston records contains correspondence, ephemera, photos, scrapbooks and some realia that document the history of the Beta Beta Houston Chapter #648 at Texas Women's University (TWU), Region 6 of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. The date range of the materials range is 1969-2011. The collection consists of 17 boxes equaling 17 cubic feet.
Texas Woman's University (TWU), College of Nursing began in the fall of 1954, received accreditation from the National League of Nursing in May 1958. Beta Beta Chapter was officially recognized as a chapter, by TWU, in October 1969. The inaugural inductions were held the spring of 1970. The mission of the organization is to support the learning knowledge, and professional development of nurses committed to making a difference in health worldwide. The society vision is to create a global community of nurses who lead in using knowledge, scholarship, service and learning to improve the health of the world’s people. [Source: Beta Beta Houston, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. (2010). Retrieved from http://www.betabetahouston.org/ on November 5, 2011.]
Copyright restrictions may apply. Additional restrictions also apply, including the following: the archivist shall use discretion when open this material up for research. Some materials may be sensitive and may be restricted.
Subjects: Texas Woman's University, TWU School of Nursing, nursing, medical organization
Beta Beta Houston
The Texas Women’s University collection contains profiles of TWU, bulletins, brochures, report on New Nurse Practice Act, faculty and staff roster, invitations, applications, Student Honors Convocation Programs, catalogs, campus numbers, newsletters, TWU magazines, and other papers and printed material from years 1958-2001.
Texas Woman's University