Showing 4 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Texas Medical Center
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Doctors' Club records

  • IC 031
  • Collection
  • 1954-2005

The Doctor's Club records (IC 031) is 8 cubic feet and consists of 2 documents boxes and 2 oversize boxes and 14 artifacts. It contains a club profile, brochures, correspondence, programs and newsletters (Memos) from the years 1954 to 2002. In addition, the collection includes several past presidents' and club members' photographs, a photograph scrapboook and several scuptures by Robert Portus, a metal fabricator and artist from Grants Pass, OR (ObitTree. Found at https://obittree.com/obituary/us/oregon/grants-pass/stephens-family-chapel/robert-portus/628923 [Accessed May 3, 2018]). The materials are in good condition. One sculpture has minor damage.

The Doctors' Club

Women's Auxiliary to Texas Children's Hospital records

  • IC 041
  • Collection
  • 1954-2014

The Women's Auxiliary to Texas Children' Hospital (WATCH) records is 55 cubic feet and consists of 17 documents boxes and 63 oversize boxes. The collection documents the history and activities of the volunteer services organization for Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, Texas. The collection contains photographs, audiovisual materials, meeting minutes, meeting notes, organizational handbooks, publications, and scrapbooks. The collection includes 83 scrapbooks that date from 1954 to 2014. The collection is 55 cubic feet in size and materials are in good condition.

Women's Auxiliary to Texas Children's Hospital

Hermann Hospital Archive records

  • IC 086
  • Collection
  • 1869-1998

The Hermann Hospital Archive records consists of administrative records, founding documents, legal papers, maps, photographs, films, videos, oral histories, nursing school records, yearbooks, and artifacts ranging from the late 1800s to 1998 that document the creation, development, and history of Hermann Hospital, the first institution in what is now known as the Texas Medical Center. The materials document the long history of the hospital from its inception to the merger with Memorial Hospital System in 1997. Hermann Hospital Archives contains the institutional records of Hermann Hospital (1925-1997) as well as the Hermann Estate (1914-1985).

Real estate-related material from the Hermann Estate business offices, some of it predating the hospital, including professional correspondence, property deeds, copies of letters to tenants and lessees, maps, photographs of construction sites, and a salesman sample or miniature real estate sign (silk-screened metal, circa 1935) (1918-1950’s). Materials related to the construction of the hospital building including work orders, construction progress reports, and order forms and receipts for building materials (1920’s). There are some advertisements and information sheets from companies that supplied hospital and cafeteria equipment to the new hospital (x-ray machines, milk coolers, lighting, surgical implements, etc.) (1920’s). Copies of orders for medical supplies and alcohol permits from the Prohibition years. A small amount of material is related to the lawsuit filed by Hermann’s Swiss relatives over his bequest to the city. There are items dealing with daily operations in the earlier part of the century, including staff newsletters, letters of application for “cards” (permitted local doctors to see patients at the hospital even if they did not practice there full-time), administrative memos. Some material about the financial situation of the Estate and funding of the hospital, including accounting records, ledgers from the pre-hospital Estate, and legal papers (1910’s-1950’s). Staff publications, meeting minutes for various committees, board of trustees items (1940’s-1980’s). Oral History Project transcripts, 1992-1998.

There are photographs (originals or copies) of Houston in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries; of Mr. Hermann in his last years; of the hospital interior and exterior when it was new; of early nursing school graduation classes (ca. 1850-1930’s). Nursing school yearbooks, records, and a uniform (1940’s-1970’s). VHS tapes of relevant television specials, news reports, and educational programs for staff (1980’s). A sizable collection of patient registers and logbooks from various departments (1920’s-1980’s) including the register with the hospital’s first patients in 1925. Scrapbooks of staff photos and news clippings (1960’s-1980’s). There are large numbers of slides and photographs that document the history of LifeFlight and the work of Dr. James "Red" Duke (1970’s-1980’s). There is a small amount of realia including decorative plaques, awards, small commemorative items, and a mailbox from the old hospital building. A few boxes contain administrative papers (1980’s). One contains working papers of the Rice University Oral History Project.

A group of photographs equaling 12.5 cubic feet (25 boxes) were compiled for hospital publications by media relations staff in the mid to late 1980s. Most of the items are undated.

The collection is 481.5 cubic feet in size which includes 644 boxes. Materials are in good condition.

Hermann Hospital (Houston, Tex.)

Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection

  • IC 104
  • Collection
  • 1938-1982

The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection contains photographic materials that document the growth and development of the TMC from the 1930s to 1980s. The collection consists of 2525 items and includes photographic prints, aerial photographs, negatives, transparencies and printed materials. The materials depict the institutions of the TMC, their staff, facilities, services, and patient care. Images show buildings and their construction as well as some photographic copies of architectural renderings. Aerial photographs from the 1940s to 1980s show the TMC grow from marshland to an urban center. The collection provides images of the leaders and historical figures that shaped the TMC from concept to reality. The collection totals 7 boxes, equaling 3.5 cubic feet. The materials are in good condition.

Texas Medical Center