- IC 086
The Hermann Hospital Archive records consists of administrative records, founding documents, legal papers, maps, photographs, films, videos, oral histories, nursing school records, yearbooks, and artifacts ranging from the late 1800s to 1998 that document the creation, development, and history of Hermann Hospital, the first institution in what is now known as the Texas Medical Center. The materials document the long history of the hospital from its inception to the merger with Memorial Hospital System in 1997. Hermann Hospital Archives contains the institutional records of Hermann Hospital (1925-1997) as well as the Hermann Estate (1914-1985).
Real estate-related material from the Hermann Estate business offices, some of it predating the hospital, including professional correspondence, property deeds, copies of letters to tenants and lessees, maps, photographs of construction sites, and a salesman sample or miniature real estate sign (silk-screened metal, circa 1935) (1918-1950’s). Materials related to the construction of the hospital building including work orders, construction progress reports, and order forms and receipts for building materials (1920’s). There are some advertisements and information sheets from companies that supplied hospital and cafeteria equipment to the new hospital (x-ray machines, milk coolers, lighting, surgical implements, etc.) (1920’s). Copies of orders for medical supplies and alcohol permits from the Prohibition years. A small amount of material is related to the lawsuit filed by Hermann’s Swiss relatives over his bequest to the city. There are items dealing with daily operations in the earlier part of the century, including staff newsletters, letters of application for “cards” (permitted local doctors to see patients at the hospital even if they did not practice there full-time), administrative memos. Some material about the financial situation of the Estate and funding of the hospital, including accounting records, ledgers from the pre-hospital Estate, and legal papers (1910’s-1950’s). Staff publications, meeting minutes for various committees, board of trustees items (1940’s-1980’s). Oral History Project transcripts, 1992-1998.
There are photographs (originals or copies) of Houston in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries; of Mr. Hermann in his last years; of the hospital interior and exterior when it was new; of early nursing school graduation classes (ca. 1850-1930’s). Nursing school yearbooks, records, and a uniform (1940’s-1970’s). VHS tapes of relevant television specials, news reports, and educational programs for staff (1980’s). A sizable collection of patient registers and logbooks from various departments (1920’s-1980’s) including the register with the hospital’s first patients in 1925. Scrapbooks of staff photos and news clippings (1960’s-1980’s). There are large numbers of slides and photographs that document the history of LifeFlight and the work of Dr. James "Red" Duke (1970’s-1980’s). There is a small amount of realia including decorative plaques, awards, small commemorative items, and a mailbox from the old hospital building. A few boxes contain administrative papers (1980’s). One contains working papers of the Rice University Oral History Project.
A group of photographs equaling 12.5 cubic feet (25 boxes) were compiled for hospital publications by media relations staff in the mid to late 1980s. Most of the items are undated.
The collection is 481.5 cubic feet in size which includes 644 boxes. Materials are in good condition.
Hermann Hospital (Houston, Tex.)