Hermann Medical Intensive Care Unit
A hospital staff member seated at a work station in the Hermann Medical Intensive Care Unit.
Hermann Medical Intensive Care Unit
A hospital staff member seated at a work station in the Hermann Medical Intensive Care Unit.
John S. Dunn Helistop Dedication at Hermann Hospital
Governor and Mrs. Dolph Briscoe with Mr. John J. Dunn (left) and Mr. Dan Kadrovach (right) at the dedication ceremony for the John S. Dunn Helistop at Hermann Hospital.
Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking northwest. Baylor College of Medicine is in the foreground, with Hermann Hospital, and the Hermann Professional Building behind it. Rice University is also visible in the background. Much of the surrounding area remains wooded.
Gate in front of the entrance to Hermann Hospital. The photographic print has been cropped slightly, as photographer Frank Schlueter's name is only partially visible.
Interview with Richard S. Ruiz, MD
上位の階層Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project records
A Conversation with Richard S. Ruiz, MD. with N. Don Macon. Produced by UT/TV Houston, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Copyright 1911. 1/22/1991. Runtime is 29:52 minutes.
(0:33) Don Macon introduces the program as part of a series on the history of the Texas Medical Center. He introduces the interviewee, Dr. Richard Ruiz, Director of the Hermann Eye Center and Professor and Chairman of Ophthalmology at The University of Texas Medical School. He notes that Dr. Ruiz is a native Houstonian, whose father had also been a physician in Houston. Dr. Ruiz shares some details of his upbringing and education.
(1:53) Ruiz elaborates on his decision to become a doctor and his experience at the UT Medical Branch in Galveston, where he graduated in 1957. He recounts faculty members who were there at the time, like Chauncey Leake, Truman Blocker, and Raymond Gregory.
(3:48) He discusses his selection of a specialty. He had been interested being an internist and spent time at Mylie Durham’s family practice. He decided on a surgical specialty, started his internship at Hermann, and eventually chose to focus on the eye.
(4:59) Ruiz discusses physicians at Hermann at the time of his internship, including Director Leigh Crozier.
(6:22) He elaborates on his selection of ophthalmology as a specialty. He cites the influence of several physicians. He speaks about the current state of getting into ophthalmology programs.
(8:27) Ruiz speaks about his next steps: interning at Hermann, going to Wayne State University in Detroit, completing a retina fellowship at Harvard, and then returning to Houston.
(8:47) He discusses moving into the Herman Professional Building and setting up his practice in Houston. He speaks further about his involvement at Hermann, including in the Residency Training Program. He mentions work at St. Joseph’s, Jefferson Davis/Ben Taub, Baylor College of Medicine, and in Galveston.
(11:26) Ruiz describes an opportunity he had to lead the Ophthalmology Department in Galveston. He reports declining the chance, citing his deep investment and involvement in Houston.
(12:24) He discusses getting involved at M. D. Anderson. He was asked to be Chief of Ophthalmology at Hermann in 1967. He speaks more about forming a group, naming Charlie Russo, Malcom Mazow, Bob Stewart, and Bob Wilkins.
(14:34) From there he relates the development of the Hermann Eye Center. He stresses the role of technology. He also speaks to the politics of its creation and relationship to the medical school. He cites the support of various foundations in raising funds.
(19:40) Ruiz further describes the structure and operations of the Hermann Eye Center. He speaks about the Houston Eye Associates.
(22:15) He speaks to the Eye Center’s service to Hermann Hospital. He highlights the Hermann Eye Fund and how the Center handles indigent patients.
(23:34) He discusses Truman Blocker’s time in Houston and his support for the Eye Center.
(27:14) Ruiz discusses his children and their careers.
(28:32) Macon concludes the interview congratulating Ruiz for his accomplishments.
Interview with Walter G. Sterling
上位の階層Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project records
Walter G. Sterling. Interview by Don Macon. Mr. Sterling, a native of Chambers County, is current Chairman of the Board of Hermann Hospital Estate and has served on that board since 1950. He recalls his personal and family history and talks in some detail about the background and activities of his father, Ross S. Sterling. He discusses his role in the history of the Hermann Hospital Estate, the Hermann Hospital, the Texas Medical Center and the establishment of the UT Medical School at Houston. 28:45. 12/4/1973
Texas Medical Center and Rice Stadium aerial
Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking east. Rice Stadium and a neighborhood are visible in the foreground. Hermann Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, Methodist Hopsital, M. D. Anderson Cancer Hospital, and Texas Children's Hospital are visible, with Hermann Park in the distance.
Memorial/Hermann Healthcare System records
Memorial/Hermann Healthcare System records consists of newsletters, magazines, a phone directory and news items. None of the boxes are full so the entire collection is about 0.5 cubic feet.
Photographs related to LifeFlight have be digitized and stored in the collection's digital control folder.
Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking east. The Hermann Professional Building, Hermann Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, and Methodist Hospital are visible.
Hermann Hospital addition construction
Construction on the addition to Hermann Hospital. Dan Kadrovach and other man at construction site.
Hermann Hospital Dunn Helistop
Helicopter at the Hermann Hospital Dunn Helistop. A second helicopter is visible in the background, along with several people.
Entrance to Hermann Hospital on Opening Day. Two people stand in front of the doors.
Architectural drawing of the Hermann Professional Building, attributed to Kenneth Franzheim and others.
E. W. Bertner and Texas Children's Foundation Trustees
Texas Children's Hospital Foundation Trustees inspecting the site of the Children's Hospital and Research Institute in the Texas Medical Center, November 9, 1947. Left to right: Dr. David Greer, President of the Children's Foundation; Nina J. Cullinan; Dr. John K. Glen; Dr. E. W. Bertner, President of the Texas Medical Center; D Leopold L. Meyer, Treasurer of the Children's Foundation; Dr. George W. Salmon; and Dr. A. Lane Mitchell.
Texas Children's Hospital site Inspection
Texas Children's Hospital Foundation Trustees inspecting the site of the Children's Hospital and Research Institute in the Texas Medical Center. Left to right: Dr. John K. Glen; Dr. E. W. Bertner, President of the Texas Medical Center; Dr. David Greer, President of the Children's Foundation; Leopold L. Meyer, Treasurer of the Children's Foundation.
TMC Library Historical Photograph Collection
The TMC Library Historical Photograph Collection contains photographs, negatives, slides, published prints, printed materials, postcards, framed images, audiovisual materials, and a plaque. The collection consists of roughly 5300 items, which includes individual 35mm slides, 35mm negatives, 120 format negatives, photographic prints, and other printed materials. This is an artificial collection of several types of images collected by or donated to the McGovern Historical Center (MHC) through the years. The bulk of the materials date from 1940 to 1990. The entire collection depicts images from 1543 to 2004. The earliest date is related to copy photographs of pages from the 1543 edition of the Fabrica by Andreas Vesalius. Other early dates are framed prints of well-known medical pioneers from the 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries. Some dates describe the date of the copy photograph others describe the date of the original image. The collection illustrates the history of medicine around the world and more acutely the Texas Medical Center and Texas Medical Center Library. Majority of the materials have been removed from this collection and incorporated into the original collections or new collections based on the donor records.
The collection is arranged into three series: Cataloged Photographs, Subject Photographs, and Oversize and Audiovisual Materials. Subject Photographs are arranged in files according to subject and then in alphabetical order. Subject terms used are as follows (in order): Attractions Photos, Building Photos, Event Photos, Individual Photos, Institutions and Organizations, Medical Equipment and Apparatus, and Surgical, Anatomical, and Medical Photos.
The collection was created to consolidate various photographs and images collected by the archive staff. Many were cataloged and assigned identification numbers (P-### for prints or N-### for negatives). These photographs were originally donated. The donor information in the card catalog was used to either create new photograph collections or incorporate into existing collections. This collection is comprised of the remaining items. Information about donors, if known, is available in the inventory. Uncataloged photographs were organized into general subjects and kept in alphabetical order. Oversize materials maintain the same identification number system and subjects. To increase discoverability of all archival materials, the collection was expanded to include materials with no known provenance. This includes framed items stored in the Garment Artifacts and Framed (GAF) section as well as audiovisual materials.
George H. Hermann: The Man, His Gift, His Concern, His Legacy
This 16mm color film with sound is titled, “George H. Hermann, The Man, His Gift, His Concern, His Legacy.” It is a biography of George H. Hermann, benefactor of Hermann Park, Hermann Hospital, and the Hermann Hospital Estate. The film primarily features narration over color drawings (still images, not animation). The opening and closing segments feature live moving images of contemporary Houston, notably Hermann Park and Hermann Hospital. It has a runtime of 23:30 minutes.
The film was produced by Hill Audio-Visual Productions Houston. The film states its copyright as 1983 by the Hermann Hospital Estate.
(0:27) Film opens on shots of Hermann Park as the narrator introduces George Hermann and his “concern.”
(1:20) Title card with text “George H. Hermann, The Man, His Gift, His Concern, His Legacy. Copyright 1983 Hermann Hospital Estate.”
(1:28) The biography of Hermann starts, beginning with his father John Hermann, who was born Switzerland and eventually moved to Houston.
(3:22) George Henry Hermann’s birth
(3:40) Account of the Hermann family’s life and work in Houston
(4:50) George Hermann’s service in Company A of the 26th Texas Calvary during the Civil War.
(5:30) Hermann’s return to Houston after the war, his work in a general store, and his initial work with cattle: “His holdings grew rapidly.”
(7:10) His courtship with Elizabeth Broussard, rejection, and bachelorhood.
(8:15) Hermann’s lifestyle, frugality, and business dealings
(10:40) His friendships and attendance to the sick
(11:19) His acquisition of land in Humble that would eventually yield oil and form the basis of the Humble Oil and Refining Company.
(12:24) Hermann’s vision for a charity hospital.
(13:18) A yearlong vacation through the South and East Coast, then Europe.
(14:22) His return to Houston and the creation of a city park on the site of his first home.
(17:14) His declining health and deeding over 285 acres for Hermann Park to the City of Houston.
(18:41) In August 1914 he traveled to Baltimore where he spent weeks in a hospital, then to Battle Creek, Michigan for mineral baths. Upon returning to Baltimore, a doctor found stomach cancer. Hermann died on October 21, 1914.
(20:04) Hermann’s funeral in Houston
(21:44) As the film cuts to contemporary images of Houston, the narrator concludes by reflecting on Hermann and his relationship to the city of Houston.
Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking south. Hermann Hospital is visible in the foreground, with Brays Bayou in the distance.
Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection
The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection contains photographic materials that document the growth and development of the TMC from the 1930s to 1980s. The collection consists of 2525 items and includes photographic prints, aerial photographs, negatives, transparencies and printed materials. The materials depict the institutions of the TMC, their staff, facilities, services, and patient care. Images show buildings and their construction as well as some photographic copies of architectural renderings. Aerial photographs from the 1940s to 1980s show the TMC grow from marshland to an urban center. The collection provides images of the leaders and historical figures that shaped the TMC from concept to reality. The collection totals 7 boxes, equaling 3.5 cubic feet. The materials are in good condition.
Hermann Hospital Archive records
The Hermann Hospital Archive records consists of administrative records, founding documents, legal papers, maps, photographs, films, videos, oral histories, nursing school records, yearbooks, and artifacts ranging from the late 1800s to 1998 that document the creation, development, and history of Hermann Hospital, the first institution in what is now known as the Texas Medical Center. The materials document the long history of the hospital from its inception to the merger with Memorial Hospital System in 1997. Hermann Hospital Archives contains the institutional records of Hermann Hospital (1925-1997) as well as the Hermann Estate (1914-1985).
Real estate-related material from the Hermann Estate business offices, some of it predating the hospital, including professional correspondence, property deeds, copies of letters to tenants and lessees, maps, photographs of construction sites, and a salesman sample or miniature real estate sign (silk-screened metal, circa 1935) (1918-1950’s). Materials related to the construction of the hospital building including work orders, construction progress reports, and order forms and receipts for building materials (1920’s). There are some advertisements and information sheets from companies that supplied hospital and cafeteria equipment to the new hospital (x-ray machines, milk coolers, lighting, surgical implements, etc.) (1920’s). Copies of orders for medical supplies and alcohol permits from the Prohibition years. A small amount of material is related to the lawsuit filed by Hermann’s Swiss relatives over his bequest to the city. There are items dealing with daily operations in the earlier part of the century, including staff newsletters, letters of application for “cards” (permitted local doctors to see patients at the hospital even if they did not practice there full-time), administrative memos. Some material about the financial situation of the Estate and funding of the hospital, including accounting records, ledgers from the pre-hospital Estate, and legal papers (1910’s-1950’s). Staff publications, meeting minutes for various committees, board of trustees items (1940’s-1980’s). Oral History Project transcripts, 1992-1998.
There are photographs (originals or copies) of Houston in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries; of Mr. Hermann in his last years; of the hospital interior and exterior when it was new; of early nursing school graduation classes (ca. 1850-1930’s). Nursing school yearbooks, records, and a uniform (1940’s-1970’s). VHS tapes of relevant television specials, news reports, and educational programs for staff (1980’s). A sizable collection of patient registers and logbooks from various departments (1920’s-1980’s) including the register with the hospital’s first patients in 1925. Scrapbooks of staff photos and news clippings (1960’s-1980’s). There are large numbers of slides and photographs that document the history of LifeFlight and the work of Dr. James "Red" Duke (1970’s-1980’s). There is a small amount of realia including decorative plaques, awards, small commemorative items, and a mailbox from the old hospital building. A few boxes contain administrative papers (1980’s). One contains working papers of the Rice University Oral History Project.
A group of photographs equaling 12.5 cubic feet (25 boxes) were compiled for hospital publications by media relations staff in the mid to late 1980s. Most of the items are undated.
The collection is 481.5 cubic feet in size which includes 644 boxes. Materials are in good condition.
Hermann Hospital East Tower and Main Entrance to original Hospital building.
The collection contains records from the George Hermann estate and from Hermann Hospital covering the years from circa 1900 to 2004. The condition of the materials range from endangered to good condition. Materials include correspondence, ledgers, memos, photographs, 35 mm slides, realia, and ephemera.
Subjects: hospitals, Hermann Hospital, Memorial/Hermann Hospital.
A patient at Hermann Hospital lying down with a ceiling-mounted instrument overhead. A doctor and nurse stand on either side of the patient.
Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking southeast across Main Street. Hermann Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine are visible with Hermann Park and extensive woodlands behind them.
1970s-era copy of a 1925 photograph of Hermann Hospital. Hermann Park is visible in the background.
Hermann Hospital Mirtha G. Dunn Chapel
Two images of Mirtha G. Dunn Memorial Chapel: an Architectural Rendering and a view of construction.
Hermann Hospital and nurses' residence
Herman Hospital and Nursing School. A view of the buildings with parking lot, drive-up, and cars in the foreground.
Hermann Hospital Life Flight helicopter at the Dunn Helistop. A person with a camera stands outside the helicopter's open door, while another is visible inside.
Houston Academy of Medicine records
Houston Academy of Medicine records consists of about 18 boxes and contains reports, financial and legal documents, correspondence, and printed material that document the history of the Houston Academy of Medicine.
Campaign for Life Internal Fundraising Video
This 16mm film is a color projection print with sound running 11:28 minutes. The film is targeted at Hermann Hospital employees, encouraging the to donate to the Hospital's fundraising campaign for the construction of a new pavilion.
(0:11) Film opens, “For More Than 100,000 Life Began at Hermann Hospital. For Countless Others, Life Was Given A Fresh, New Start.” Montage of Hermann Hospital scenes.
(0:45) Introduction by Steve Smith, reflecting on George Hemann’s dream and a list of “firsts” at Hermann Hospital.
(2:24) Ruth Anderson, 26 years of service – retired, reflects on changes and contributions
(3:18) Smith speaks in front of the Roberton Pavilion
(3:37) Pappy Selph, Cardiac Patient interview, fiddle playing
(4:03) Smith introduces the proposed new pavilion
(5:08) Bill McDonald, Vice-President & Chief Operating Officer highlights Hermann’s tradition and the value of the new facility
(5:27) Lynn Walts, Vice-President of Operations, highlights the need for the new facility
(5:55) Smith shares the plan for a renovated Roberts Pavilion
(6:19) Walts continues discussing the vision for the new facility
(6:33) Smith, standing beside the Life Flight Helicopter, shares the fundraising goal: $100 million dollars
(6:50) A request for funds is targeted to Hermann employees, as images of employees working at Hermann are shown. The Employee Participation Plan is touted. Smith appears in the lobby/courtyard discussing the plan.
(8:13) Robert Creasy, MD, Chief of OB/GYN Services talks about the Employee Participation Plan.
(8:50) A new donor wall is highlighted.
(9:16) Smith appears by the statue of George Hermann in Hermann Park, extoling the importance of Hermann employees
(9:30) Walter Mischer, Chairman of the Board/CEO, speaks about the value of employees
(9:55) Pam MacFarland, 5 years of service, also speaks about Hermann employees
(10:09) Freddie Knockless, 5 years of service, speaks about giving and about Hermann employees
(10:22) Joe Escalante, 15 years of service, speaks about a premature baby’s birth at Hermann
(10:36) Smith concludes the program from the Hermann courtyard. He reports that Hermann patients say “thank you,” as images of patients and staff are shown.
Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking south. Hermann Hospital and the Hermann Professional Building are in the foreground, with Baylor College of Medicine, M. D. Anderson Hospital, and Methodist Hospital visible further back. The area behind the hospitals remains wooded.
Aerial view of the Texas Medical Center looking southeast across Main Street. Extensive development including parking lots is apparent. Hermann Park remains visible behind Hermann Hospital.