Showing 7 results

Archival description
Hospitals--Administration
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Harris County Hospital District records

  • IC 018
  • Collection
  • 1919-1970

The Harris County Hospital District collection primarily consists of patient records, emergency room logbooks, tuberculosis logbooks, hospital operations logbooks, and baby logbooks. The collection also includes copies of The Beat and Progress newsletters, annual reports, records, telephone directories, employee handbooks, budget information, an eligibility procedure manual, and other printed material.

Harris County Hospital District

Interview with Ted Bowen

Mr. Ted Bowen. Interviewed by Don Macon. Video tape recorded 4/26/1974. Approximately 30min. Color-sound. MDAH Master #94-1-74. Produced for Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project. Summary: Mr. Bowen discussed his youth in Alto, Texas and college in Nacogdoches, after which he returned home to work as cashier at a local bank. He spoke of his military service at Camp Gruber, Oklahoma where as a member of the medical detachment he was an administrative officer for the large hospital there. He attributes his interest in hospital administration to this experience. After the war, Mr. Bowen said he attended Washington University and on graduation with an MA in Hospital Administration went to Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. Mr. Bowen discussed Mrs. Josie Roberts, Mrs. Ella Fondren, Mr. Hines H. Baker and others. He also discussed The Methodist Hospital's plans for the future.

Bowen, Ted

Interview with Maynard W. Martin, MD

Maynard W. Martin, MD. Interview by Don Macon. Although Dr. Martin's early interest was in Pediatrics, he entered a career in hospital administration. After serving in Cleveland, New York and St. Louis, He came to Houston in 1954 to head the joint administration program of St. Luke's and Texas Children's Hospital. He stayed there until his retirement in 1972. He spoke of the physical plants of the institutions, his methods of working through difficulties and some of the dynamic individuals he worked with such as Mr. Leopold Meyer and Dr. Denton Cooley. MDAH Master #71-2-74. 4/4/1974. 27:30

Martin, Maynard W.

Interview with Josie M. Roberts

Josie M. Roberts. Interview by Don Macon. Mrs. Roberts discusses her many years as administrator of Methodist Hospital, beginning in 1925. She gives a history of the hospital from its original location on San Jacinto & Rosalie through its move to the TMC and its growth after the initial building was completed. She discusses the hospital's affiliation with Baylor College of Medicine. She recalls her close association with Mr. & Mrs. W. W. Fondren, Mr. Ted Bowen and others significant in Methodist Hospital's growth. MDAH Master #93-1-74. 3/29/1974. 28:00

Roberts, Josephine K. Mooring (Josie), 1891-1984

Interview with Robert A. Shepherd

Mr. Robert A. Shepherd. interviewed by Don Macon. 2/12/1974. 57min. MDAH Master #84-1-74. Mr. Shepherd, long time attorney with Vinson & Elkins, joined the board of Methodist Hospital in 1943, and served as their legal counsel for many years. Mr. Shepherd discussed his personal family history as residents of Huntsville and later Colorado City, Texas where he was acquainted with the Gus Bertner family and a friend of Bill Bertner. He spoke of his entrance into law school at the Universty of Texas, his military service which interrupted his education, and his studies after the war in the law office of his father, Judge James L. Shepherd. He noted that he was sworn in to the bar on his 27th birthday, 7/7/1921. He gives a history of the Methodist Hospital as well as of the Texas Medical Center. He tells of his roles as board member of Methodist and as their legal representative.

Shepherd, Robert A.

Hermann Hospital Archive records

  • IC 086
  • Collection
  • 1869-1998

The Hermann Hospital Archive records consists of administrative records, founding documents, legal papers, maps, photographs, films, videos, oral histories, nursing school records, yearbooks, and artifacts ranging from the late 1800s to 1998 that document the creation, development, and history of Hermann Hospital, the first institution in what is now known as the Texas Medical Center. The materials document the long history of the hospital from its inception to the merger with Memorial Hospital System in 1997. Hermann Hospital Archives contains the institutional records of Hermann Hospital (1925-1997) as well as the Hermann Estate (1914-1985).

Real estate-related material from the Hermann Estate business offices, some of it predating the hospital, including professional correspondence, property deeds, copies of letters to tenants and lessees, maps, photographs of construction sites, and a salesman sample or miniature real estate sign (silk-screened metal, circa 1935) (1918-1950’s). Materials related to the construction of the hospital building including work orders, construction progress reports, and order forms and receipts for building materials (1920’s). There are some advertisements and information sheets from companies that supplied hospital and cafeteria equipment to the new hospital (x-ray machines, milk coolers, lighting, surgical implements, etc.) (1920’s). Copies of orders for medical supplies and alcohol permits from the Prohibition years. A small amount of material is related to the lawsuit filed by Hermann’s Swiss relatives over his bequest to the city. There are items dealing with daily operations in the earlier part of the century, including staff newsletters, letters of application for “cards” (permitted local doctors to see patients at the hospital even if they did not practice there full-time), administrative memos. Some material about the financial situation of the Estate and funding of the hospital, including accounting records, ledgers from the pre-hospital Estate, and legal papers (1910’s-1950’s). Staff publications, meeting minutes for various committees, board of trustees items (1940’s-1980’s). Oral History Project transcripts, 1992-1998.

There are photographs (originals or copies) of Houston in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries; of Mr. Hermann in his last years; of the hospital interior and exterior when it was new; of early nursing school graduation classes (ca. 1850-1930’s). Nursing school yearbooks, records, and a uniform (1940’s-1970’s). VHS tapes of relevant television specials, news reports, and educational programs for staff (1980’s). A sizable collection of patient registers and logbooks from various departments (1920’s-1980’s) including the register with the hospital’s first patients in 1925. Scrapbooks of staff photos and news clippings (1960’s-1980’s). There are large numbers of slides and photographs that document the history of LifeFlight and the work of Dr. James "Red" Duke (1970’s-1980’s). There is a small amount of realia including decorative plaques, awards, small commemorative items, and a mailbox from the old hospital building. A few boxes contain administrative papers (1980’s). One contains working papers of the Rice University Oral History Project.

A group of photographs equaling 12.5 cubic feet (25 boxes) were compiled for hospital publications by media relations staff in the mid to late 1980s. Most of the items are undated.

The collection is 481.5 cubic feet in size which includes 644 boxes. Materials are in good condition.

Hermann Hospital (Houston, Tex.)

Richard Wainerdi's Texas Medical Center Memorabilia Collection

  • IC 096
  • Collection
  • 1984-2012

The Richard Wainerdi's Texas Medical Center Memorabilia Collection consists of realia (three-dimensional objects) presented to Richard Wainerdi during his tenure as president of the Texas Medical Center, a position he held from 1984 to December 2012. The realia includes numerous scrolls, fabrics, desktop items such as paper weights. pen sets, commemorative plaques, ceramic, toy-like models and other objects. The realia comes from Houston-area institutions and businesses as well as numerous international organizations. The collection was donated to the TMC Library by TMC Inc. office of the president in September 2013.

Wainerdi, Richard E.