Showing 10 results

Archival description
Bates, William B., 1889-1974
Print preview Hierarchy View:

7 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Transcript of Interview with Colonel William B. Bates, Part 3 of 3, 4/19/1973

Transcript of "Interview with Colonel William B. Bates, Part 3 of 3, 4/19/1973". This transcript was generated with Microsoft Word 365 on 9/8/2022 as a courtesy for users and to facilitate access to the audio content of the recording in a different format. See AVV-IC084-007. Changed the identifier from AVV-IC084-012_trans to AVV-IC084-007_trans for consistency with the corresponding recording identifier in AtoM.

Interview with Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Part 2 of 5

Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Interview, Part 2 of 5, U-matic Tape, Master. 1932-1943. Interviewed by Don Macon. Video recorded 7/23/1973. Produced for the Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project. Part 2 of this series covers Dr. Elliott's activities from 1932, when he became Dean of the Texas Dental College, until 1943 when the school was brought into the University of Texas System as the Dental Branch in Houston. The Texas Dental College faced financial problems. The faculty was primarily composed of part time staff. Dr. Elliott went to work to improve teaching methods, recruit student and patients for the clinic. Dr. Elliott served on numerous health committees such as the Houston Board of Health and the Public health Commission of the Houston Chamber of Commerce. The image of the Texas Dental College changed from a place that only trained dentists to a health education and awareness institution. During these years Dr. Elliott met Col. William B. Bates who was Chairman of the School Board and Dr. E. W. Bertner who also served on the Houston Board of Health. Efforts to make the Texas Dental College a state school were revived in 1939. House Bill #278 was passed in 1943, and the University of Texas Dental Branch came into being on September 1st. of that year.

Elliott, Frederick C.

Interview with Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Part 3 of 5

Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Interview, Part 3 of 5, U-matic Tape, Master. 1943-1953. Interviewed by Don Macon. Video Tape Recorded 7/25/1973. Approximately 30min. MDAH Master # 38-1-73. Produced for Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project. Part 3 begins with a review of material that has gone before. Dr. Elliott discusses the study made by a committee appointed by the University of Texas Board of Regents to recommend locations of the Univeristy of Texas Health Units. He describes the planning and construction of a new building to house the Dental Branch at Houston. Dr. Elliott discusses this association during these years with Dr. E.W. Bertner, Col. William B. Bates, Mr. John Freeman and Dr. R. Lee Clark. He gives insight to the man, Dr. E. W. Bertner, and touches briefly on his tragic illness and death. In 1954 Dr. Elliott was asked to become Executive Director of the Texas Medical Center, Inc. Dr. Elliot tells of his decision to leave the dental school to head a busy medical center that was in the midst of active development.

Elliott, Frederick C.

William B. Bates papers

  • MS 011
  • Collection
  • 1896-1981

The William B. Bates papers contains correspondence and photographs documenting his life and career as a lawyer. Of particular interest are the scrapbook of newspaper clippings dating back to the 1920s and photographs from World War I and Bates' childhood. The collection consists of 14 boxes, including two oversize boxes, and equals 9 cubic feet. The materials are in fair to good condition.

Subjects: Attorney

Bates, William B., 1889-1974

R. Lee Clark, MD papers

  • MS 070
  • Collection
  • 1929-1985

Lee Clark’s personal papers, Series I, contain financial documents, family correspondence from relatives throughout Texas, lists of purchases including various cars, information on houses and repairs, ideas for his ranch and considerations about other land purchases.

Lee Clark received his M.D. from the Medical School of Virginia. He served as Chief Resident at the American Hospital in Paris, France and was a Fellow at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

Before coming to M.D. Anderson, Dr. Clark was Director of Surgical Research within the United States Air Force at Randolph Field, San Antonio, Texas. Drafts of Clark’s Surgical History of the Army Air Forces are located in Series II.

Dr. R. Lee Clark collected papers from many sources, envisioning the historical importance, not only of his personal papers, but of items related to University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, the Texas Medical Center, various University of Texas medical schools, and many national and international cancer organizations. A series of historical papers, in addition to folders labeled “Inactive”, “to 1956”, or “to 1959”, provide witness to the early growth of M.D. Anderson Hospital and Houston’s medical community. Dr. Clark also kept the minutes of many meetings of the University of Texas Board of Regents, as he was dependent on funding from the state to furnish resources necessary for M.D. Anderson Hospital. Newspaper clippings document Clark’s leadership at M.D. Anderson and the growth of cancer treatment and care, both within the state of Texas and throughout the world. He was Directing Medical Editor of the Medical Arts Publishing Foundation that published The Heart Bulletin, The Cancer Bulletin, The Psychiatric Bulletin, and Medical Record and Annals, as well as co-editor of The Book of Health and The Year Book of Cancer.

Dr. Clark held positions of authority in a number of national and international organizations. Correspondence and meeting minutes show that he was a dynamic force in the formation of several branches of the Union International Contre le Cancer, notably the Committee for International Collaborative Activities and the Association of American Cancer Institutes. UICC was a world-wide effort to more successfully track and treat the causes of cancer. The American Cancer Society also benefited from Clark’s vision and energy, as did the Cancer Committee of the American College of Surgeons. Meeting minutes from several committees document activities within those organizations. He served on the boards of directors of the Damon Runyon/Walter Winchell and Hogg Foundations. After retirement from M.D. Anderson, he served as a consultant for Robert Douglass Associates, assisting with site visits and forward planning for cancer hospitals.

Photographs of M.D. Anderson Hospital buildings, colleagues, and many organizational meetings are held in Series XIII, as well as in other parts of the collection.

Memorabilia and realia, as well as a series on professional travel, attest to the scope of Dr. Clark’s career.

Clark, Randolph Lee, 1906-