Mostrando 15 resultados

Descripción archivística
12 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales
R. Lee Clark, MD papers
MS 070 · Colección · 1929-1985

Lee Clark’s personal papers, Series I, contain financial documents, family correspondence from relatives throughout Texas, lists of purchases including various cars, information on houses and repairs, ideas for his ranch and considerations about other land purchases.

Lee Clark received his M.D. from the Medical School of Virginia. He served as Chief Resident at the American Hospital in Paris, France and was a Fellow at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

Before coming to M.D. Anderson, Dr. Clark was Director of Surgical Research within the United States Air Force at Randolph Field, San Antonio, Texas. Drafts of Clark’s Surgical History of the Army Air Forces are located in Series II.

Dr. R. Lee Clark collected papers from many sources, envisioning the historical importance, not only of his personal papers, but of items related to University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, the Texas Medical Center, various University of Texas medical schools, and many national and international cancer organizations. A series of historical papers, in addition to folders labeled “Inactive”, “to 1956”, or “to 1959”, provide witness to the early growth of M.D. Anderson Hospital and Houston’s medical community. Dr. Clark also kept the minutes of many meetings of the University of Texas Board of Regents, as he was dependent on funding from the state to furnish resources necessary for M.D. Anderson Hospital. Newspaper clippings document Clark’s leadership at M.D. Anderson and the growth of cancer treatment and care, both within the state of Texas and throughout the world. He was Directing Medical Editor of the Medical Arts Publishing Foundation that published The Heart Bulletin, The Cancer Bulletin, The Psychiatric Bulletin, and Medical Record and Annals, as well as co-editor of The Book of Health and The Year Book of Cancer.

Dr. Clark held positions of authority in a number of national and international organizations. Correspondence and meeting minutes show that he was a dynamic force in the formation of several branches of the Union International Contre le Cancer, notably the Committee for International Collaborative Activities and the Association of American Cancer Institutes. UICC was a world-wide effort to more successfully track and treat the causes of cancer. The American Cancer Society also benefited from Clark’s vision and energy, as did the Cancer Committee of the American College of Surgeons. Meeting minutes from several committees document activities within those organizations. He served on the boards of directors of the Damon Runyon/Walter Winchell and Hogg Foundations. After retirement from M.D. Anderson, he served as a consultant for Robert Douglass Associates, assisting with site visits and forward planning for cancer hospitals.

Photographs of M.D. Anderson Hospital buildings, colleagues, and many organizational meetings are held in Series XIII, as well as in other parts of the collection.

Memorabilia and realia, as well as a series on professional travel, attest to the scope of Dr. Clark’s career.

Sin título
AVV-IC084-035 · Unidad documental simple · 7/23/1973
Parte de Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project records

Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Interview, Part 2 of 5, U-matic Tape, Master. 1932-1943. Interviewed by Don Macon. Video recorded 7/23/1973. Produced for the Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project. Part 2 of this series covers Dr. Elliott's activities from 1932, when he became Dean of the Texas Dental College, until 1943 when the school was brought into the University of Texas System as the Dental Branch in Houston. The Texas Dental College faced financial problems. The faculty was primarily composed of part time staff. Dr. Elliott went to work to improve teaching methods, recruit student and patients for the clinic. Dr. Elliott served on numerous health committees such as the Houston Board of Health and the Public health Commission of the Houston Chamber of Commerce. The image of the Texas Dental College changed from a place that only trained dentists to a health education and awareness institution. During these years Dr. Elliott met Col. William B. Bates who was Chairman of the School Board and Dr. E. W. Bertner who also served on the Houston Board of Health. Efforts to make the Texas Dental College a state school were revived in 1939. House Bill #278 was passed in 1943, and the University of Texas Dental Branch came into being on September 1st. of that year.

Sin título
AVV-IC084-036 · Unidad documental simple · 7/25/1973
Parte de Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project records

Frederick C. Elliott, DDS, Interview, Part 3 of 5, U-matic Tape, Master. 1943-1953. Interviewed by Don Macon. Video Tape Recorded 7/25/1973. Approximately 30min. MDAH Master # 38-1-73. Produced for Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project. Part 3 begins with a review of material that has gone before. Dr. Elliott discusses the study made by a committee appointed by the University of Texas Board of Regents to recommend locations of the Univeristy of Texas Health Units. He describes the planning and construction of a new building to house the Dental Branch at Houston. Dr. Elliott discusses this association during these years with Dr. E.W. Bertner, Col. William B. Bates, Mr. John Freeman and Dr. R. Lee Clark. He gives insight to the man, Dr. E. W. Bertner, and touches briefly on his tragic illness and death. In 1954 Dr. Elliott was asked to become Executive Director of the Texas Medical Center, Inc. Dr. Elliot tells of his decision to leave the dental school to head a busy medical center that was in the midst of active development.

Sin título
William B. Bates papers
MS 011 · Colección · 1896-1981

The William B. Bates papers contains correspondence and photographs documenting his life and career as a lawyer. Of particular interest are the scrapbook of newspaper clippings dating back to the 1920s and photographs from World War I and Bates' childhood. The collection consists of 14 boxes, including two oversize boxes, and equals 9 cubic feet. The materials are in fair to good condition.

Subjects: Attorney

Sin título
AVF.IC002.008 · Unidad documental compuesta · 1973 May 25
Parte de Texas Medical Center records

This 16mm color film is an original with no sound. It records the groundbreaking ceremony of an expansion to the Jesse H. Jones Library, home of the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, on May 25, 1973. The film opens with a very brief shot of three men seated in chairs conversing. The men may be Dr. Frederick C. Elliott, William B. Bates, and W. Leland Anderson. Beyond them stands the Library, a podium, an easel, and ceremonial shovels in the ground.
(0:04) The film cuts to TMC President Richard T. Eastwood speaking at the podium in front of the Library.
(0:13) The film focuses on the ceremonial shovels in the disturbed earth, before panning out to show Eastwood, the seated audience, the Library exterior, and the easel with an image, presumably of the Library expansion.
(0:29) In this segment a new, unidentified speaker is at the podium.
(1:02) Richard Lyders speaks at the podium.
(1:12) The film cuts to Eastwood and two other men with the shovels for the ceremonial groundbreaking.
(1:29) William Bates and two other men then use the shoves to continue breaking ground.
(1:54) A group of other men then take their turns breaking ground.
(2:38) A different group of men take their turns with the shovels.
(2:55) Frederick Elliott shovels dirt alongside Richard Eastwood and another man as William Bates and another man look on.
(3:06) The film cuts to a bulldozer beginning to tear up the turf.
(3:40) Three unidentified men break ground with the shovels.
(3:49) In a segment shot from behind the podium, the camera pans across the greenspace where the event was held as people walk around.
Note: This workprint corresponds to the original film AVF-IC002-008. The two appear to be identical, save for a slight difference in timing.

Sin título
AVV-IC084-007_trans · Unidad documental simple
Parte de Texas Medical Center Historical Resources Project records

Transcript of "Interview with Colonel William B. Bates, Part 3 of 3, 4/19/1973". This transcript was generated with Microsoft Word 365 on 9/8/2022 as a courtesy for users and to facilitate access to the audio content of the recording in a different format. See AVV-IC084-007. Changed the identifier from AVV-IC084-012_trans to AVV-IC084-007_trans for consistency with the corresponding recording identifier in AtoM.

AVF.IC002.007 · Unidad documental compuesta · 1973 May 25
Parte de Texas Medical Center records

This 16mm color film is a workprint with no sound. It records the groundbreaking ceremony of an expansion to the Jesse H. Jones Library, home of the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, on May 25, 1973. The film opens with a very brief shot of three men seated in chairs conversing. The men may be Dr. Frederick C. Elliott, William B. Bates, and W. Leland Anderson. Beyond them stands the Library, a podium, an easel, and ceremonial shovels in the ground.
(0:04) The film cuts to TMC President Richard T. Eastwood speaking at the podium in front of the Library.
(0:13) The film focuses on the ceremonial shovels in the disturbed earth, before panning out to show Eastwood, the seated audience, the Library exterior, and the easel with an image, presumably of the Library expansion.
(0:29) In this segment a new, unidentified speaker is at the podium.
(1:02) Richard Lyders speaks at the podium.
(1:12) The film cuts to Eastwood and two other men with the shovels for the ceremonial groundbreaking.
(1:29) William Bates and two other men use the shoves to continue breaking ground.
(1:54) A group of other men take their turns breaking ground.
(2:38) A different group of men take their turns with the shovels.
(2:55) Frederick Elliott shovels dirt alongside Richard Eastwood and another man as William Bates and another man look on.
(3:06) The film cuts to a bulldozer beginning to tear up the turf.
(3:40) Three unidentified men break ground with the shovels.
(3:49) In a segment shot from behind the podium, the camera pans across the greenspace where the event was held as people walk around.
Note: This workprint corresponds to the original film AVF-IC002-008. The two appear to be identical, save for a slight difference in timing.

Sin título
AVV-IC007-004 · Unidad documental compuesta
Parte de University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston records

This 3/4” U-Matic tape contains a lecture titled "Development of the Texas Medical Center " by Dr. William Seybold. The lecture took place April 30, 1980, and it was a part of the series “Conversations with the Past.” The recording runs 31:31 with about 30 minutes of lecture content. According to the credits, it was a Medical Community Television System Production. The recording is a duplication, in color.
(0:01) The recording begins with color bars.
(0:16) Program begins with TMC Librarian Beth White at a podium introducing Dr. William Seybold, recently retired.
(0:58) Dr. Seybold comes to the podium and begins his talk.
(2:53) Beginnings of the TMC. “In the beginning there was a dream.” Almost 40 years ago. Monroe D. Anderson, Colonel W. B Bates, John H. Freeman, Arthur Cato, Dean John W. Spies, Dr. E. W. Bertner, Dr. Frederick C. Elliott.
(5:04) Monroe D. Anderson of Anderson Clayton Company. William Bates and John Freeman helped establish the Anderson Foundation.
(7:32) Anderson died, and the Foundation was chief beneficiary. Horace Wilkins was a new trustee.
(8:55) Texas Legislature authorized a state cancer hospital in 1941. Cato, Bertner, and Spies had all been interested in a cancer hospital. Various organizations supported.
(12:18) Trustees of the Anderson Foundation met with University of Texas officials. Agreement to locate the cancer hospital in Houston. Foundation offered temporary facilities and matching funds.
(13:03) Dr. Bertner was appointed Acting Director. Land was acquired from the City of Houston, but construction had to wait until after the war. Drs. Bertner and Elliot articulated plans for a medical center.
(15:20) In 1943 the private Dental College in Houston becomes part of the University of Texas and got a site in the medical center. Bertner and Elliott envisioned Schools of Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health, as well as hospitals.
(15:55) Hermann Hospital, Methodist Hospital, a children’s hospital, a tuberculosis hospital, and perhaps others.
(16:23) Baylor College of Medicine decided to leave Dallas. Trustees of Baylor and Trustees of the Anderson Foundation made arrangements to bring the school to Houston.
(18:44) Advancement of the Medical Center after World War II. Texas Medical Center, Inc. chartered and Dr. Bertner elected President. The Anderson Foundation provided land and funds to TMC entities. Support also came from the Cullens and the Chamber of Commerce.
(21:30) Dr. Bertner’s vision for the Medical Center, including his speech to the Kiwanis.
(23:07) Dr. Seybold contends the war had established public support for medical research.
(24:18) Dr. R. Lee Clark, Jr.’s appointment as Director of M. D. Anderson Hospital for Cancer Research in 1946. The opening of Baylor’s new building in 1948. The appointment of Dr. Michael DeBakey as Head of Department of Surgery. In 1950, the construction of the new Methodist Hospital. The appointment of Leland Anderson to lead the Medical Center Board. In 1952, Dr. Elliot named Vice-President and Executive Director of the Medical Center.
(26:37) Dr. Seybold offers information from the Texas Medical Center’s 1979 Annual Report. In conclusion, he reflects on its future.

Sin título
AVV.IC002.004 · Unidad documental compuesta · 1985
Parte de Texas Medical Center records

This ¾” U-Matic tape contains a 1985 program about the Texas Medical Center. The cassette case is labeled "Visions," while the program concludes with the words, “Visions Fulfilled….” It was produced by UT-TV Houston, Executive Director N. Don Macon, Production Supervisor Greg West, Producer/Writer Carla Diebold, Photographer/Editor Daniel Blust, Copyright 1985 Texas Medical Center. The recording runs 8:12, although the content stops around the 7:31 mark.
(0:03) Introductory sequence featuring a montage of TMC images.
(0:28) Narration begins introducing the TMC.
(0:50) The program features historical images and recounts the genesis of the Texas Medical Center. The narrator tells of Monroe Anderson’s fortune and the vision of trustees John Freeman, Horace Wilkins, and William Bates for a Medical Center.
(1:23) Interview with John Freeman, who discusses the acquisitions of land, establishment of institutions, and granting of funds.
(1:38) Discussions of financial support from Houston and elsewhere.
(2:14) November 1, 1945 TMC chartered.
(2:38) Historical images give way to contemporary images as the narration continues. The video prominently features images of buildings, facilities, and technology.
(3:05) The TMC includes 33 institutions. There is a focus on technology and medical advances, highlighting areas like immunology and curing cancer.
(4:32) The program highlights heart surgeries, research, and new techniques.
(5:00) Showing images of children, patients, and technology, the program looks towards the future. The narrator highlights further advances, patient education, and technology and communication.
(6:13) The program concludes by returning the interview with John Freeman.

Sin título