Name and location of repository
Level of description
Joseph I. Maurer Photograph Collection
- 1954-1960 (Creation)
2.5 cubic feet (5 boxes)
Name of creator
Joseph I. Maurer was born in Galveston, Texas. Growing up he assisted his father, Joseph M. Maurer, who worked as a photographer in Galveston. The younger Maurer then served as a photographic technician with the US Navy during World War II. Upon his return to Texas, he worked for Southwest Camera and began assembling equipment to open his own studio. He opened his commercial photography studio in 1946, and it operated until 1978. Much of Maurer's work involved photographing portraits, weddings, graduations, and other events. He served as President of the Houston Professional Photographers Guild in 1966.
In the 1950s Maurer photographed portraits of Houston physicians. These portraits were used in the Harris County Medical Society Pictorial Directory.
Source: Houston Public Library, HMRC, Joseph Maurer Photographs
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
The Joseph I. Maurer Photograph Collection consists of 1411 items that total over 2300 negatives depicting members of the Harris County Medical Society and their medical specialties. These negatives were originally prepared for the Pictorial Roster and Handbook of Harris County Medical Society.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Unrestricted. Material is open for research.
Materials are in good condition.
Conditions governing reproduction
Permission to publish from this material must be facilitated through the repository, McGovern Historical Center.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Generated finding aid
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Ursula Lamb Maurer and Joseph I. Maurer in 1979.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
No accurals are expected for this collection.
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Citation: Joseph I. Maurer Photograph Collection; MS 219; John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library. Please cite the box and folder numbers where appropriate.
- Processing information: Items have been cataloged and assign photograph call numbers, N-####. Materials have been removed from the IC 098 TMC Library Historical Photograph Collection and a new collection created based on the Joseph I. Maurer as the donor. Separation sheets have been placed in IC 098 to direct staff to the new collection, MS 219 Joseph I. Maurer Photograph Collection. Items are in order according to the catalog number (N-####), which is close to chronological order.
- Processing information: When appropriate negative were housed in polyester film sleeves or preservers.
- Processing information: Digital copies appear to have been used for the web application search of the Roster (Gazetteer) of Dead Physicians.
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS)
Finding aid prepared by Gina Leonard, 2018.
Encoded by Sandra Yates, 2019.
Finding aid prepared by Gina Leonard and Sandra Yates.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Maurer, Joseph I. (Subject)
- Harris County Medical Society (Tex.) (Subject)