Name and location of repository
Level of description
Films on Mental Health provided by Bill Schnapp
- 1998 (Creation)
- 1958 (Creation)
- 1958-1998 (Creation)
3 items; 410.2 MB
Name of creator
Name of creator
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
Collection contains two media programs on mental health created by Julia Arnold Schnapp and Bill Schnapp. Program on VHS video cassette, "In Their Shoes" (1998) produced by the Mental Needs Council of Harris County. Program on 16mm film, "Help Wanted" (1958) produced by Mental Health Study Group of the Junior League of Houston. A paper script is available for the 1958 film.
“Help Wanted”, produced in the mid-1950s by the Junior League of Houston. League members Julia Schnapp, Sadie Cowin Blackburn, and Evelyn Houston were instrumental in the creation of this film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTa-ZBUKc4M&authuser=0
“In Their Shoes”, produced in 1997 by the Mental Health Needs Council. Bill Schnapp, PhD and Spencer Bayles, MD were instrumental in the creation of this film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwrYwgvjSL4&authuser=0
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Open for research
Materials in good condition. Slight smell of vinegar from 16mm.
Equipment needed to view materials.
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright restriction may apply
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Bill Schnapp wants films digitized and freely accessible online. CC-BY-NC-ND. Downloaded digital copies from YouTube that were posted by Schnapp. Used Tubeup to copy YouTube video files and metadata to Internet Archive library, https://archive.org/details/@mcgovernhrc. Downloaded Mpeg4 files and stored in Digital Collection Drive (DCD) Access_Files.
Immediate source of acquisition
Bill Schnapp brought 16mm film and 2 VHS cassettes to archive. Deed of Gifts signed by separate content owners.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Accruals may occur, including professional papers of Dr. William B. "Bill" Schnapp.
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Citation: Films on Mental Health provided by Bill Schnapp; MS 238; John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library. Please cite the box and folder numbers where appropriate.
- Processing information: Used Tubeup to copy YouTube video files and metadata to Internet Archive library. Downloaded MPEG4 files and stored in Digital Collection Drive (DCD) Access Files.
- Processing information: Digitized paper script for Help Wanted, 1958. Rehoused in acid-free folder and stored with Small Manuscript Collections (SMS).
- Processing information: Inspected 16mm film, repairing splices if needed. Transferred to archival 3" core archival can with new leader at head and tail.
- Processing information: Captured all information provided in the end credits of both films in a spreadsheet. Information available online and control folders.
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Digital processing by Sandra Yates, July 16, 2021.
Description, physical processing, and paper digitization by Kelly Strickland, August 2021.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Schnapp, William Bertner (Subject)