- MS 087
Connie Brady was a nursing student at the Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in San Angelo, Tom Green County, Texas, in 1960-1964. This collection includes a 1964 diary Brown wrote for a nursing course, school-related correspondence and papers, school publications, and nursing publications. The material is in good condition and is about 0.25 cubic feet (1 box). 1960-1964.
Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital, which grew to Shannon Medical Center and to its current incarnation as Shannon Health System, opened in 1932, according to the Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital Shannon Memorial School of Nursing Bulletin 1961-1962. West Texas ranchers J. M. and Margaret Shannon provided the funding to create a foundation that in 1931 established the hospital to serve San Angelo and Tom Green County.
The hospital and clinic has 19 locations, 17 of them in San Angelo, and includes three hospitals in San Angelo. It also has clinics in Del Rio and Ozona. Its nursing school is no longer in operation, but the foundation offers nursing scholarships through Angelo State University.